Diy danelectro dc2 wiring mod

cjadamski

• Members

So possibly impossible to accomplish but here it goes im currently building my own danelectro copy, and while having other guitars looking to add something to the wiring ie. The single pickup models utilized a 1 volume 1 tone and a tone switch, the two pickup model did not have the option. But if there's a way to add a tone switch not sure where it would have to put in, although wired in series, and a Gibson/epiphone es-345 with a varitone switch if it would be wired in like that or not. But in hopes of finding a way to utilize a tone switch where it would effect both pickups (being installed before the output jack and after each stacked volume tone pots) but if it would only be possible to do it on one pick up. Some help would be greatly appreciated and although crude these images being what I'm hoping to acomplish

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fi.pinimg.com%2Foriginals%2F16%2F26%2Fc4%2F1626c48a0db1975fe6e9ed32246debbb.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pinterest.com%2Fpin%2F508766089163723719%2F&tbnid=gPOmG6OcTg_KeM&vet=1&docid=0G25PDkXT4cewM&w=817&h=862&itg=1&hl=en-US&source=sh%2Fx%2Fim

https://images.app.goo.gl/SgHkEEe8GfXXLqv3A

• Moderators

if you changed the switch to a '3-way' you should be able to replicate the single pick up tone switch [which was just an on/off, IIRC] for each p-up [changing the capacitance from .01 to .1 for each p-up, two of each capacitor]. Using a 4 way, you could get the switched tone on both together...many ways to approach what you want to do.

A varitone would allow you a wider variety of tonal options based on cap values.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

That's what I was thinking, adding a second 3way switch, similar to the gretch mud switch but to utilize it to effect both pickups. But wasn't sure if that would need 3 switches 1 for pickup selection then the others for each stacked pot/pickup. And it's just a project kind of wanting to follow the original diagrams. If not, not a big deal. But just curious if something like that could be done with just one extra switch.but if adding one to have the tone selection, in on/off/on but in that case would off be a bypass to that switch. And I do apologize if my lack of knowledge on this. But had become a little more familiar with a standard epiphone/gibson wiring and function. 

• Members

But also under the impression to utilize a 3 way switch for a (lack of better phrasing) a 2 position variton with the middle position being passive. (Not being effected by the different capacitors) again I do apologize for the lack of vocabulary and knowledge on this matter.

• Moderators
21 hours ago, cjadamski said:

But how the two pickup model has the pickup selector, and the single pickup the switch utilized as a tone selection. But curious if it would be possible to add that type of tone switch to a 2 pickup setup.

yes, and a varitone-type switch would be your best option.

something like this where you can have different capacitor values in a discrete layout...the combinations can all be accommodated.

The Guitar Wiring Blog - diagrams and tips: How to Install a Varitone  (Wiring Options)

• Members

I have seen that diagram but to do that with 2 stacked volume tone knobs. But wanting to go based on this diagram that is common in pre 1969 danelectros and silver tone, but not looking for all of what a varitone switch offers but will go to that if all else fails. But to have a filter/mud switch to play with frequency cuts but to still have the volume and tone knobs still effected but to have individual control of each pickup. Like what I'm assuming that a switch could be added after the pickup selector and before the output jack or maybe a blower switch would be a little more simple just lacking the frequency selection

Screenshot_20221128-173642_kindlephoto-18356639.png

• Members

But if I do go with a varitone switch where would it be added into a 2 pickup 2 volume 2 tone+pickup selector layout? Just trying to consider all possible options. Not too concerned with price but would figure a mud switch type addition wouldnt be as time consuming

• Members

Now along with the flexibility of having two volume two tone knobs that (not sure how it would have to be wired or if it's possible) but in the case of a mud switch (2 position varitone) to use it for high (capasitors) freq cut off and low (choke) but the main question with that is if done with a three way switch is the a way for the middle position to bypass the frequency cuts but where the controls are still usable. Unless that would cause a short or other electrical issue. 

• Members
6 hours ago, cjadamski said:

I do apologize for so much what may be nonsense but this wiring diagram being the type of mod but if this would be possible with the idea I have for this project but if someone knows and could explain how this circuit works.

Wiring_Diagram.png

Ok, let's start with the neck pickup wiring first. It's wired, thru the push/pull switch, for series/parallel wiring. Basically turning the humbucker into 2 single coils. Think of the difference of a Gibson and a Gretsch sound wise. Growl vrs clarity. But when dealing with single coils on a Dano, it doesn't matter, it can't be done on the single pickup.

The bridge is wired for phase/out of phase, giving the guitar a funky/thin kind of tone. Depending on the situation, it's a cool tone. Can be done with 2 single coils. Then it goes to a coil tap switch. That will kill the one coil, making it sound like a single coil. Again, on a single coil pickup, you can't do it.

All 3 volumes have a treble bleed added to them. What that does, thru a 001 capacitor, it allow you to drop the volume, without losing the high end. Ever notice how whan you turn down a pickup, it gets a little darker or muddy sounding? That's because when you turn it down, some of the high frequencies go to ground. A treble bleed keeps all the high end, no matter how low the volume goes. I have that on some of my guitars, others, I like having it get a bit darker.

Since this diagram doesn't have a tone control, like Gretches sometimes don't, it uses a 3 way switch that allows for 3 options: one being the .012 cap, middle being no cap, and the 3rd being the .0039 cap. 

A few years ago, I rebuilt an old Gretch using the tone switch. I used a .22, and a .15. I personally think it work better without the treble bleeds. you can control the tone a bit more when you lower the volume. Especially with the master volume control.

Hope that helps!

• Thanks 1

• Members
16 hours ago, cjadamski said:

So would adding a switch wired in like that on what I'm looking at doing would be possible? And a follow up to that does that switch have any other points it would need to soldered to? I'm just only seeing the the one wire and ground. 

Yep. And yes, only the one wire and a ground wire. When the switch is engaged, the signal will go thru the cap and the high end will go to ground.

• Thanks 1

• Members

Oh I could very well be wrong on that one. But to add that type of tone switch into the danelectro diagram where would the switch need to be installed. But like I had said before would like to aim for a point that the tone pots would still function but with the frequency cut. Would it need to have a lead from both tone pots or would it have to come from the volume?

• Members

If you use the Danelectro diagram you first posted, you would add a wire from the red wire, to the tone switch, then to ground. There, simple. The switch would be a simple on/off/on, that would require a hole drilled into the pickguard. you would still be able to use the dano's standard tone controls, with the ability to flick the tone switch, and add more treble cut. I don't know why you would want the added "mush" by that's on you.

Another option, well 2 really, would be adding a bass contour knob. Used by Reverend guitars for the last 20 years or so, and now Yamaha is doing it, it's a control that cuts out a bit of bass. If using high gain, it helps cleaning up the mud. Again, simply wire it from the out of the 3 way

contour.jpg.0b17d4ed5ffb2186e8a209d8eae4ceb7.jpg

Now the second option: Bill Lawrence Q filter circuit. 

Q-filter – Bill and Becky Wilde Pickups

I have one, works wonders, making a humbucker sound like a true single coil. How much you will use it on a dana, who knows.

• Like 1