hole punch for electrical outlets?

• Members

I have a single space rack mount multiple outlet strip with outlets facing the rear. The outlets themselves are standard duplex receptacles like you would install in your house. Where could I get a hole punch that would allow me to install one more duplex outlet on the front of the strip to use as an auxiliary outlet? (And what model would that hole punch be?)

TIA

Zane

• Members

I am not aware of any duplex punches that are suitable for anything but a press setup. You also need to be sure you have adequate clearance top to bottom and this will depend on how the chassis is fabricated at the front. Usually, it's got more clearance at the back.

Doing this will invalidate any UL listing of the existing strip also, it is possible that the modification will end up being unsafe (minimum creep distance).

Units with front and rear receptacles will often use a chassis designed specifically with this in mind.

• Members

Greenlee probably makes a chassis punch for duplex outlets but I guarantee you it will cost at least $200. Any non-round punch will be expensive.

Certainly not the whole duplex... the drive screw mechanism would be dual with no screw holes and even if it were available as a duplex the cost would be IMO >$500-1000. My guess is that this is all in the realm of hydraulic, and probably available as a tool and die part for large punch presses only.

There may be a "1/2 of the duplex" available, would require a hole by hole punch and measurement centers would need to be very accurate with no rotation of the dies. Otherwise nothing would line up.

• Members

Okay, how about a source for the square snap-in single receptacles? They have spring loaded clips on the side that hold the receptacle in place once pushed in from the front. That would require a square whole punch.

• Members

Square holes can to roughed in adaquately by drilling and using a metal saw blade or dremel tool.

I have several of the bakelite like snap in 15a style Edison square outlets I bought for a project and never used. IF I didn't ebay them, they'll be in my parts box. PM me.

Boomerweps

• Members

But that flies in the face of the old DIY spirit, "Dag Nab It! I'll do it myself, no matter how much more it costs me!"

Hey I perfect DIYS solution: Duct tape a regular computer type power strip to the front of your rackmount unit and then just plug the computer power strip supply cord into one of the outlets on your rackmount unit.

And then you could plug the rackmount unit's power supply cord into the computer power strip and the rack could be self powered that way. That seems so obvious, why didn't I think of it sooner? :thu:

• Members

And then you could plug the rackmount unit's power supply cord into the computer power strip and the rack could be self powered that way. That seems so obvious, why didn't I think of it sooner?
:thu:

When I was working for the A/V department at a state university, I saw professors try to do this more than once....

Archived