Building a new p.a. for a 7 piece acoustic band...

• Members

I would use the amps as an on-stage monitor mostly, as long as the PA can handle doing the work. The more you put through the PA the more control you have over it.

You need to use a DI with your guitar output unless it is outputting a balanced signal (XLR or TRS cable).

Try the line-out of the acoustic amp and see if you like it. I wouldn't mic it. If you are running monitors I would probably ditch the amp and just put the acoustic guitar through the wedges.

You need a separate amp channel for each individual monitor mix you want. So if you want 4 mixes you need two stereo amps. Separate from your mains power. However if you can (check your amp specs on this) run more than one floor wedge on each amp channel. But if you do this each one will have the same mix. One mix per channel.

The carvin board isn't going to be as good as the MixWiz, but might be sufficient for your needs. Most people here will say MixWiz all the way. There are some Carvin users here that like them though.

The only way to combat feedback effectively is to know where and why it's happening by being familiar with the system. I usually EQ and set gains so that I can push the fader all the way to the top and I won't feedback any. That way I can't slip up during the show.

For fiddle I have had a ton of success with a cheap piezo pickup. They can be found for like $30. They slip under the bridge and don't mess up the violin at all, are completely removable, no holes drilled. It gives a very good tone (would sound amazing with something like the LR Baggs PADI) and it is unaffected by movement and positioning.

• Members

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Shadow-Single-Upright-Bass-Adhesive-Transducer-?sku=300178

I think that is similar to the one I have and use. I worked with a violin player from Russia who played on a $5k German violin that was insanely old. Amazing instrument with incredible tone and she was quite happy with the amplified results without any real tweaking or anything. Quick and easy.

Though there are several systems that offer better control but price goes up, for $100 I see one with a volume and tone knob which could be handy as this offers absoloutely zero control at the instrument.

• Members
I'd avoid the roto-molded cases as these don't really offer any real protection.

I think they are as "protective" as the "fake ATA look-alike" cases commonly used. They keep the stuff from being scratched, dented, and having the knobs busted off - what more do the 1/4" plywood boxes do except weigh more and perhaps look more like "the real thing"?

Archived