The Harbinger!

• Members

Hey There,

I was looking to get 2 of these http://www.guitarcenter.com/Harbinger-HX152-Dual-15--2-Way-Speaker-Cabinet-103954038-i1172618.gc

and one of these

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Harbinger-HX118-18Inch-Passive-Subwoofer?sku=600144

I plan on running the subwoofer in a 2 way system with the 2 dual 15's.

I've looked into power amps a little and I think I get it, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't gonna mess something up getting the wrong power amp thereby breaking equipment/my ears.

soooooooo, this brings me to my question. What power amps would you recommend for the 15's and the subwoofer, and what crossover system would work nicely for the whole set-up

Thanks a ton in advance! :thu:

Zach

• Members

Its for kind of a combination of the two. Live musician with backing tracks. I'm going for the double 15's because when I compared the single 15 to the double 15's hooked up to the sub at guitar center, the double 15's sounded better to me.

• Members

Try a good single 12" with a good sub. It will sound great and save your back. Dual 15s with a sub seems a little overkill for solo musician and backing tracks. A good 12" and sub will sound better then the Harbingers.

What is your total budget? I'll bet we can put together a much better system for your needs. How long have you been playing out? We went through a "bigger is better" phase but luckily we grew out of it. Let our mistakes help you.

• Members

Let's say I was to get the dual 15", what power amp would I want? Also, this might be a silly question to ask, but wouldn't I lose some of the mid range crunch if I go with a 12?

That kind of depends on if you like a muddy mids. Generally, 15" (single or dual) can have a bunch of freqs that actually overlap and cause the mids to sound muddy and unclear. There are ways to tame this but it takes experience and experimentation. The good 12" and good subs will, in my experience, sound better with cleaner mids and highs. Dual 15s are good if you are not using subs as they will extend things down a bit. With subs, the 15s generally dont sound as good.

The Harbingers are big. You need to think why you were drawn to them. Was it their size? Seriously, we went through it. We had a huge system that took a truck to haul around. We thought it was really cool, at first. When we started to realize that our bodies were getting destroyed moving them we started looking at smaller high quality systems. Our current system sounds better then our monster system (not quite as loud but the sound quality blows the old system away) and we still get plenty loud. Best part is I can carry both mains at the same time.

What is your budget for this project? I might also suggest powered speakers to save you from hauling heavy amp racks on top of the heavy speakers. Is this a solo act or band? If solo, you will need a bunch of friends to help you move the system you are looking at.

How many people do you need to cover?

• Members

A $350.00 215 is going to sound like dogsh*t, but hey it is your money. Bet it will look cool though.:thu: You want to know what is scary. I can't find out what they weigh even on the harbinger website. Being as they are made out of MDF instead of wood you know they will be light.:lol:

• Members

Let's say I was to get the dual 15", what power amp would I want? Also, this might be a silly question to ask, but wouldn't I lose some of the mid range crunch if I go with a 12?

It seems that you're set on speakers, so here's my 0.02...

This amp:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/QSC-GX5-Stereo-Power-Amplifier?sku=481805&src=3WWRWXGB&ZYXSEM=0

And this crossover/processor:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/dbx-DriveRack-PA-Loudspeaker-Management-System?sku=620494

Good luck.

• Members

But they get 5 out of 5 stars on the GC site :rolleyes:

Been there, done that. Sure they look "bad ass" but have you considered

- too heavy

- hard to transport

- can't put on top of sub by yourself

- reduced line of site

- Sitting directly on the subs they will not be at the proper height for the audience (tool low)

- 2 woofers, crossover, compression driver, more wood, glue screws and carpet, casters and all for $349!!! Do you REALLY think the components are worth a damn? You're talking about the cheapest thing they could find to use as woofers (2 1/2" voice coils? please)

These speakers are made for those who value the aesthetic over the practical and have $350 burning a hole in their pockets and a mind set to get "the most" - literally, for that $350.

• Members

The horn/driver in the Harbinger 215 is not adequate to be crossed over low enough to make a good 215 box without blowing up. Therfore the speaker is crossed over higher and therein lies the problem. Then there's the material. Heavy and not road worthy. Dont get them damp.

• Members

I had some carpeted MDF subs (JRX118s) that we occasionally used outdoors. No rain on them but the dew messed them up. First they seemed heavier, then they started feeling loose in the joints and we noticed the bottoms weren't as stable as they once were. We stopped using them and I sold them to a DJ cheap. I think I got around $250 for a pair of single 18s. Not only did these sound bad, they just weren't built with materials that allowed them to survive a weekend warrior lifestyle. I only owned them for a couple of months.

• Members
Ooooh....400W PROGRAM!!! those have to be great.... Peavey SP118's go for a little over $300 new and are actually a quality product.
:thu:

Sez 400w rms, 800w peak which with the 3" voice coil is believable. I do see where it also has 400w program in another "line", wish these companies actually proofread their stuff -JBL screws up too :lol:!

• Members

Ooooh....400W PROGRAM!!! those have to be great.... Peavey SP118's go for a little over $300 new and are actually a quality product.
:thu:

Where do you find Peavey sp118's for a lil over $300??All the places i've seen have them for around $500

• Members

sorry it took me a little bit to get back. thanks a bunch for the advice thus far. this project would involve two people and i would want the system to be able to support everything from classical music to dance music to rock and everything in between. my goal with this set-up is to be self sufficient for touring clubs and basement shows. i want to be able to run everything myself without having to rely on house systems. this would include running vocals through it. so it has to be loud, powerful and clear. i'm hoping to spend about $1000, but I could go as high as $1500 if it was worth it. let me know what you guys think. it looks like i might have to rethink the harbingers.

let me know if there's any more info you need from me.

thanks!

-Zach

Archived