CLIPPING NIGHTMARE!!!!

• Members

I have an issue with clipping......

My signal chain is:

Godin xtsa>>>Roland GR-33>>>>>Roland ac 90>>>>>Mono line out to snake, and the to the board.

Last week I was barely in the mix, and had some distortion tainting the already weak signal I had to work with. Re-routing inputs/outputs did little to correct the problem.

I have used the Roland amp before without much of an issue, and reducing the volume on the GR-33 diminished my effects to the 'why bother' level.

Would a DI box with adjustable impedance be what I need?

I don't see any way to adjust the send signal level on the ac-90. Perhaps there is some way to adjust the output signal from the GR-33, though I haven't found it in the user manual and haven't seen anything online specifically about this issue.

Please help!

Thanx in advance.

• Members

I'm betting you've got a line-level signal plugged into a mic-level channel.

You should buy a DI, plug your synth into it, and run the DI's output to the snake (and pass thru to your amp).

Or, connect the "mono out" of your amplifier to a LINE instert on one of your mixer channels, and not a MIC input.

• Members

Possibilities:

1 - The Roland is seeing phantom power from the mixer, and is very unhappy about it (as are many other gadgets). If you are lucky the output stage of the Roland is not blown yet.

2 - The 'guitar out' of the Roland is not able to drive the high capacitance that is being presented to it by the snake.

I'll give 10-1 odds on #1.

• Members

If I DO use a Di box (and that seems to be the consensus from several sources) to correct this, should I go with active or passive?

Also, would 1/4" MONO out be the best route to go out of the Roland AC90 and not XLR-stereo?

Should I run out of the GR-33 in stereo/mono seperately from the AC90?

BTW-I didn't consider whether or not the mixer channel had phantom power enabled. Wasn't enough time before the first set started.

• Members

I won't get the opportunity to hook up to the mixer again for a few days or a week, but I will make sure I take the time to try all the options listed.

I understand the logic of using BOTH inputs for just the GR-33 and running the guitar itself to the line input on the mixer, but I would hate to give up the sweetness and crispness of the Roland acoustic sound.

Perhaps running the GR-33 to two mixer lines is the way to go, bypassing the Roland altogether, using it for guitar only.

I will see how simply adding a Di box with a pad improves the situation. I assume (uh, oh) that I don't need an active Di, as long as I have a pad to reduce the send gain.

I will also try the XLR stereo out option in the back of the AC90 and see how that goes as well, even though I have the stereo option at the mixer (or would that not be a good idea?).

So I'm not losing anything by using a 1/4"-XLR converter to go into the snake, right?

Thanx for the help and patience so far. Especially xmlguy.

• Members

The GR-33 has a guitar output designed specifically for sending to a guitar effects chain and guitar amp, separate from the synth output. That's the ideal recommended setup for the GR-33, the L+R line synth outputs direct to a pair of monitors/keyboard amps then stereo on to the PA, with the guitar out going to a guitar amp, which could be separately mic'd to get its unique acoustic sound. I think there's a diagram in the GR-33 manual that shows this configuration.

ideal - sure, .. rather optimistic if you expect sound guy to take that many feeds from your guitar though.

• Members

If the L/R synth outputs are specifically for monitoring purposes, then I will stick strictly with the guitar out feed in the chain, since I rarely, if ever, have monitoring problems onstage.

I have in the past used my amp as my monitor, but as long as I have a cooperative/competent person at the board then I will simply turn way down on stage. This will reduce some of the gain issue, but I will be MUCH more dependent on whoever's at the board-something I don't normally like to do.

It's looking more like I need to just play it safe with a Di box for any similar situations. I need one anyway.

Any recommendations on model?

Active or passive?

I know I need an adjustable pad.

Archived