Live Sound Setup Suggestions

• Members

There are numerous reports of problems getting Presonus units and Yamaha digital consoles to work reliably. It appears that syncing the Yamaha to the Presonus works fine. The problem is that if the Presonus goes down in that scenario, you lose everything since the board has lost its clock.

If you sync the Presonus to the Yamaha, there are a number of people with units that exhibit anywhere from minor to major problems. It appears to be a Presonus issue since most manufacturers have no issue with Yamaha products.

Read at least one thread here...

http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/451591/47100/0///91/#msg_451591

I personally like Presonus, but won't buy one that I have to rely on until these types of reports die off. My ADA8000's are not problematic at this point. They do what they say better than I expected of them and in more than a year of use have given me exactly zero problems. With that said I carry one spare (they are that cheap...) since I do know the Behringer reputation.

• Members

The XL2400 has 16 mic inputs plus 4 stereo channels - I'd get that instead if I was looking at this series of mixers.

I had considered it, but the 1600 will fit into a mixer-rack and be a bit more portable for me. However, I haven't completely ruled it out.

Thanks

mike

• Members

Yah, the MixWiz I'm using gets overloaded with the line out from the keyboard amp so I have to use a inline pad in addition to the mixer's pad switch - must be another crappy design
:lol:

Common sense dictates that a line out of a keyboard would go to a direct box with a pad of some sort, that argument holds no water.

• Members

Main problem with Behringer is that it is so inexpensive people are too cheap to buy cases for it and they end up getting banged around WAY more than the higher prices stuff. Heck, I even have one of their two mic input mixers that I have a case for.

I agree with your reasoning. I can't help but think that a lot of Behringer complaints stem from improper handling or inexperience.

If I drive a Chevy Citation, I will probably not get as pissed when the doors get dinged. However, If I drive my Corvette, I will probably park in an empty area near the far edge of the lot.

I tend to take caution to the extreme. I bought a nice, foam-padded case for my little Behringer 802 mixer just to be safe. At regular price, the case cost more than my mixer.

Research has shown that people get angry or lash out at others only when they realize they have screwed up, themselves.

I can't help but think that the modulusman is lashing out at me only because he fried his Behringer equipment while having a brain fart.

It's a shame he has to act this way. He may have 1000+ valid, helpful replies, but it only takes one asinine reply to invalidate them all.

• Members
I had considered it, but the 1600 will fit into a mixer-rack and be a bit more portable for me. However, I haven't completely ruled it out.

It is nice to have them 16 mic channels - especially if you are going to buy a 16 channel snake. If rackmounting is important to you a MixMiz is only about $900 new, I think the XL2400 is about $650? I'd love to play with one but I recently got my unused DDX3216 digital mixer for about that :cool:.

• Members

There are numerous reports of problems getting Presonus units and Yamaha digital consoles to work reliably. It appears that syncing the Yamaha to the Presonus works fine. The problem is that if the Presonus goes down in that scenario, you lose everything since the board has lost its clock.

If you sync the Presonus to the Yamaha, there are a number of people with units that exhibit anywhere from minor to major problems. It appears to be a Presonus issue since most manufacturers have no issue with Yamaha products.

Read at least one thread here...

I personally like Presonus, but won't buy one that I have to rely on until these types of reports die off. My ADA8000's are not problematic at this point. They do what they say better than I expected of them and in more than a year of use have given me exactly zero problems. With that said I carry one spare (they are that cheap...) since I do know the Behringer reputation.

I've personally never had any trouble with either the Digimax or the Digimax 96. My ADA8000s have also performed well. I will check into the clock issues with the FS before I jump, though.

• Members

I agree with your reasoning. I can't help but think that a lot of Behringer complaints stem from improper handling or inexperience.

If I drive a Chevy Citation, I will probably not get as pissed when the doors get dinged. However, If I drive my Corvette, I will probably park in an empty area near the far edge of the lot.

I tend to take caution to the extreme. I bought a nice, foam-padded case for my little Behringer 802 mixer just to be safe. At regular price, the case cost more than my mixer.

Research has shown that people get angry or lash out at others only when they realize they have screwed up, themselves.

I can't help but think that the modulusman is lashing out at me only because he fried his Behringer equipment while having a brain fart.

It's a shame he has to act this way. He may have 1000+ valid, helpful replies, but it only takes one asinine reply to invalidate them all.

The reason I don't buy Behringer anymore is because of their business practices. I have owned behringer rack equipment in the past but have gotten rid of it. It is a moral issue with me, but thanks for playing armchair pyschiatrist.:thu:

• Members

The reason I don't buy Behringer anymore is because of their business practices. I have owned behringer rack equipment in the past but have gotten rid of it. It is a moral issue with me, but thanks for playing armchair pyschiatrist.
:thu:

You are quite welcome and I'm glad I could help!

Also, here is one more suggestion: In the future, don't impose your morality on others who are only looking for technical advice. No one benefits from that.

Archived