Frustrated with my band.

• Members

O.K. here's my little rant.  Thanks for letting me vent.

Well, out of frustration, and with zero tact,  I just told my band that " I don't want to be in the band if the vocal harmonies are consistently out of tune. 

I'd finish my commitments but" yada yada.   

I'm concerned about how we're sounding, with upcoming gigs booked after a long break. 

Fact of the matter is I've been  frustrated enough with a few areas of the musicianship,  etc, that I have been considering finishing out the Summer season and re-evaluating.  But for some reason I couldn't keep my mouth shut tonight.   I have mixed feelings, as the gigs were very fun, and the bandmates have become good friends, etc.   But they resent my occasional blunt suggestions.  I can't seem to consistently keep my constructive criticism tactful and positive.  

I'd welcome any input from fellow H.C. musicians. 

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators
On 12/19/2023 at 6:31 AM, New Trail said:

Bad vocal harmonies are worse than no harmonies.  If you're still in that band and still have the same issue tell them that.

NewT, you are probably a year and a half too late....but yes, if they can't sing harmony, stop doing songs that show off your weaknesses, and do songs that play to your strengths.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

The band I am in, we work on our vocal harmonies, just as much as our instrumental prowless.

The bassist is a great backup vocalist, the drummer is good too, the rhythm guitarist / keyboardist ( Emerson/ Wakeman virtuoso) has a good voice too and I'm not to shabby either. 

We cover everything from 60's Classic Rock, Metal, Thrash, Blues an 70's Progressive Rock.

Just try to be patient with them, if not, network and find others to play with .