Give me some suggestions about buying a amp

luna5

• Members

I need to clarify something regarding buying a amp, normally I am playing classical guitar also singing with backing tracks, which kind of amp should I buy for my purpose? And is it should be at least 50 w? If you can explain this thing it's a great help for me to buy a good amp😋

• Moderators

Well there is a lot more to it, so if you would be so kind as to answer a few more questions, we can likely be far more helpful...

What is your budget?

What size rooms do you intend to play?

What kind of mic are you using to sing through? [a condenser requiring phantom power will narrow your amp choices]

Is your classical a/e, or are you mic-ing it?

Are your backing tracks ported out via midi or USB? [again this may impact the potential selection]

My personal rule of thumb for acoustic/vocal performance amps is a minimum of 65 watts [obviously a solid state amp] to leave headroom and avoid the high end 'fizzies' many lower wattage SS amps tend to generate as they reach max volume...

To be honest, I have found most 'acoustic guitar amps' to be a dead end, gig wise...even if they have a line out, since there will be a volume and dispersion limit on most stand-alone box type amps.

If you are adding tracks...now you are at 3 or 4 inputs, which is a stretch for most bespoke acoustic guitar amps.

So in that case, I would suggest a small 4-6 channel passive mixer and a powered speaker [s] [with some bottom end to help the bass end of your tracks, so a 12" or 15"] or look at some of the new 'stick' units[column arrays] with 4+ inputs. The advantage to this approach is scalability if you decide to add a second vocalist, etc. and typically higher wattage in powered speakers and columns.

Fortunately for you, you are in the perfect area to go see, hear and test units....[it's okay, I used my moderator voodoo to locate you:cool2:] I know because I live in the same general area:wave:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

There's ton of options.

Do you really need and acoustic amp?  Maybe just a PA

Maybe you're mic-ing your classical, maybe not. IDK.

I gave a couple of Fishman acoustic amps, they are nice and kind of what they are.

The Fishman Mini Charge is cool and that' only 60 watts, so 50 watts really ain't that much power. The charge has bluetooth for backing track.

The other Fishman I have is old and called the Loudbox Performer. I got it way back in the day. It's the old one in black tolex. I also have a Fishman solo amp, which turned into the Fishman SA220, which turned in to the Fishman SA330. I have ever had and issue with my solo amp, but my buddy had and issue with his SA220 and it had to back to the factory. Made in china.

I'm in Massachusetts and Fishman is a MASS based company.

I like Bose stuff for different reasons, but you didn't discuss any budget. Bose PA's sound very nice. I use a Bose S1 for home solo practice, in my cellar. The Bose line goes up from there. You can hook two S1's together. There's not a huge amount of bass to it. I just might order another one.

I had plan to do a busking thing before covid hit. No need to worry about any busking right now here in New England. 22 degrees snow and a 25 mile/ hr wind. 

I asked myself how quickly to I need to breakdown when the cops arrive. :D

Seriously try a bunch off stuff out. Walk away and think about what your needs and budget is, go back and try it again. Repeat if necessary.

• 8 months later...