Strat 6th string resonates oddly - help please

EmolanEric

• Members

Hi everyone! 

I have a problem with 2017 Japanese-build Strat. The low E-string resonates oddly. The string does not touch the fret and resonate from that. This is something else. It gets stronger the higher fret you go, and is strongest on fret 21. Otherwise the action is perfect, and neck seems to be straight.

Hope you guys get this video open, that clarifys the problem: 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y9s505r9a6jn5ei/VID_20220119_184051.mp4?dl=0

Thanks in advance for any help

Edited by EmolanEric

• Members
On 1/19/2022 at 12:43 PM, EmolanEric said:

Hi everyone! 

I have a problem with 2017 Japanese-build Strat. The low E-string resonates oddly. The string does not touch the fret and resonate from that. This is something else. It gets stronger the higher fret you go, and is strongest on fret 21. Otherwise the action is perfect, and neck seems to be straight.

Hope you guys get this video open, that clarifys the problem: 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y9s505r9a6jn5ei/VID_20220119_184051.mp4?dl=0

Thanks in advance for any help

To me, that sounds like the typical case of "stratitis". Lower the bass side of your pickups. The magnetic field is interfering with the movement of the string, causing that warble.

• Members

Thanks badpenguin. After quite bit of adjusting made, this really seems to be problem. The buzz disappears when the pickups are lowered. However, they almost need to be lowered to pickguard level to get rid of the buzz. Then pickup output is just poor and is not working as desired. When adjusted to factory specs, I get the buzz like shown in video:

Texas Specials

Bass side 8/64" (3.2 mm)  Treble side

6/64" (2.4 mm)

• Members

Ok, so we found the issue, good, but the solution sucks... bad. Perhaps either a string gauge change, going up a size ie: 9-42 to 10-46 might help, or just changing that one string upwards. Another possible solution is string material. Steel to nickel etc. @Daddymack might have a better answer/solution.

• Members

Yep, that's definitely the issue. However, I currently use 11-52 D'Addario strings. The different material is worth testing, thanks. I also have an extra set of pickups. I will try how it works with those, when I have time. 

Edited by EmolanEric

• Moderators
On 1/21/2022 at 9:20 AM, badpenguin said:

Ok, so we found the issue, good, but the solution sucks... bad. Perhaps either a string gauge change, going up a size ie: 9-42 to 10-46 might help, or just changing that one string upwards. Another possible solution is string material. Steel to nickel etc. @Daddymack might have a better answer/solution.

watching the vid, I also assumed it was just magnetic pull, p-u too high, but now...that's a .052...hmmm...did you change string gauges recently?

Without having the axe on the bench? Hard to make a definitive call...magnetic tension is always present on the strings, and if this only goes away absent the magnetic tension, then yes, you lose your sound...but something else seems to be in play here. Oddly, this is only on the low E...

Are the pole pieces flush?

I would look at the neck relief [because the 'buzz' is more pronounced past the octave, and gets worse the closer to the neck pocket], and examine the nut slot depth/width and the bridge saddle height and slot depth.

I would first try raising the string height at the bridge slightly while the p-up is still 'pulling' and see if that diminishes the issue. Since it is an .052, the 'deflection' should not be so pronounced...a combination of higher string and lower p-up may solve this.

• 5 months later...
  • Members

I get that quite often.  It’s typically the wound strings.  

if the frets and setup are good and it’s strings are relatively new,  I suggest you check and see if the strings are twisted.

twisted strings can cause you a whole lot of head scratching with the oddball buzzing and intonation issues they cause. 

there are three parts to this that you should watch out for.  First is avoidance when you install the strings avoid adding twist when you wind them on pegs   Second is diagnostics   You can identify strings twisted end to end    Third, correction.  The sooner you fix the twisted string the less permanent damage is done.  

when installing new strings - before you connect the string to the tuner  -  grab the string at the bridge and use your thumb and finger and draw the string towards the nut allowing the wire to untwist and stand upright   When you do put it through the tuner avoid twisting it

after you tune to pitch seat the string by stretching it till it quits going flat in pitch pulling up on the string at the 12th fret   

Next this is the tough part, take the low E string at the 12th fret and twist it cylindrically between your thumb and first finger.  You should be able to twist it in both directions the same amount with the same resistance   

with strings that are twisted you may be able to twist it one way and not the other   If there is no twist it will turn quite easily on the low E string.  The A and D are a bit tougher but can still be detected using sensitive fingers   You can even tell if they are twisted clockwise or counter clockwise

undoing the twist consists of  listening the string and untwisting the string at the ball end   1/2 or 1/4 turn if typically all you need to correct the worst erratic vibrations I’ve done it on unwound strings too but given the thickness twisting doesn’t cause as much of a problem with buzz

I will also note besides buzz there can be a dramatic improvement in string tone when there is no string twist the string vibration is more side to side vs elliptical or erratic   Chords are more ch more solid with fewer oddball oscillations occurring. Better intonation can be achieved as well.  

Check it out.  Thick strings like on a bass can have this problem too.  It’s not the type of thing you think can make that big a difference because you simply aren’t aware the problem exists.