Jump to content

Fingerstyle Acoustic, "Jesu, Joy of Our Desiring" 1590 - 1644


Recommended Posts

  • Members

Nice

I learned to play that song , when I dropped the pick and started to learn finger picking. I still to this day have  never owned a classical guitar.

Here's the sheet music too it.

For the most part my site reading has gone kaput, but I can still read for the most part, it's just slower now.

Once again nice work, some how I play it more like it's written here.

 

https://pdf4pro.com/cdn/jesu-joy-of-man-s-desiring-sacred-services-2c1fa.pdf

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
2 hours ago, Mikeo said:

Nice

I learned to play that song , when I dropped the pick and started to learn finger picking. I still to this day have  never owned a classical guitar.

Here's the sheet music too it.

For the most part my site reading has gone kaput, but I can still read for the most part, it's just slower now.

Once again nice work, some how I play it more like it's written here.

 

https://pdf4pro.com/cdn/jesu-joy-of-man-s-desiring-sacred-services-2c1fa.pdf

 

 

Hi Mikeo,

Thanks for the comments and the sheet music.

When I first started to play finger style, I was introduced to Hal Leonard "The Real Book, Sixth Edition".

I started to learn real music, and started sight reading.  Very slow.  I am still a very slow sight reader today.  But I developed my ear to where I can now comfortably play songs using the chord structure while playing the melody notes with it.  I combine ear playing and sight reading. 

Thanks again for your comments and time.

Rene

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
40 minutes ago, Rene Asologuitar said:

Hi Mikeo,

Thanks for the comments and the sheet music.

When I first started to play finger style, I was introduced to Hal Leonard "The Real Book, Sixth Edition".

I started to learn real music, and started sight reading.  Very slow.  I am still a very slow sight reader today.  But I developed my ear to where I can now comfortably play songs using the chord structure while playing the melody notes with it.  I combine ear playing and sight reading. 

Thanks again for your comments and time.

Rene

When I started playing guitar back in the early 70's, on day one my teacher ( a very very old guy) opened up Mel Bay Guitar Method book one. I used a pick. There are 6 books in all.

I took other lessons at a local conservatory and the instructor asked me if I could real music.  I said yes, nut I used a pick. He asked me if I wanted to learn Blackbird by The Beatles, and I told him I would and liked  the song very much. He said, you wouldn't need or want a pick for this song. I went through the song slowly for the first 5-10 minutes and he said, you site reading rather good. They also showed me  how to improvise at the conservatory.

My ear training wasn't so good, as all I did was site read.

Other kids I went to school with could play guitar well just by ear and could read at all.

Every Saturday at 9 am, my dad would give me a ride down to for my lesson. 4 years of lessons, it was very slow and cost a whopping 2 dollars for 30 minutes. So days the 9:3am  lesson never showed and I get an 30 minutes.

Site reading does take time. Timing can also be an issue. 

Since that is all I did, I have 100's of music folio's on a book shelf (mostly popular stuff). I have not looked at them in a long long time. My site reading is not that good, but playing in bands my ear training got much better.

My dad thought me playing the guitar would last about 3 months. almost 50 years later, not a day goes by, where I don't pick up the guitar. I also learned to play the mandolin. Site reading helped a lot there. The bass guitar is in the bass clef, so in my head I am moving the notes to where they would be in a G clef.

God willing ,they will pry the guitar out of my hands the day I die.

I am here every day, mostly to goof off on HCOJ, but sometimes I am real serious and helpful. At least I hope I am  There are not many folks here on HC any more. It's been a 20 plus year run here. I retired from working in educational science a few years ago

It was a pleasure listening to you and meet you here. Stop back when you can.

Michael

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
10 hours ago, Mikeo said:

When I started playing guitar back in the early 70's, on day one my teacher ( a very very old guy) opened up Mel Bay Guitar Method book one. I used a pick. There are 6 books in all.

I took other lessons at a local conservatory and the instructor asked me if I could real music.  I said yes, nut I used a pick. He asked me if I wanted to learn Blackbird by The Beatles, and I told him I would and liked  the song very much. He said, you wouldn't need or want a pick for this song. I went through the song slowly for the first 5-10 minutes and he said, you site reading rather good. They also showed me  how to improvise at the conservatory.

My ear training wasn't so good, as all I did was site read.

Other kids I went to school with could play guitar well just by ear and could read at all.

Every Saturday at 9 am, my dad would give me a ride down to for my lesson. 4 years of lessons, it was very slow and cost a whopping 2 dollars for 30 minutes. So days the 9:3am  lesson never showed and I get an 30 minutes.

Site reading does take time. Timing can also be an issue. 

Since that is all I did, I have 100's of music folio's on a book shelf (mostly popular stuff). I have not looked at them in a long long time. My site reading is not that good, but playing in bands my ear training got much better.

My dad thought me playing the guitar would last about 3 months. almost 50 years later, not a day goes by, where I don't pick up the guitar. I also learned to play the mandolin. Site reading helped a lot there. The bass guitar is in the bass clef, so in my head I am moving the notes to where they would be in a G clef.

God willing ,they will pry the guitar out of my hands the day I die.

I am here every day, mostly to goof off on HCOJ, but sometimes I am real serious and helpful. At least I hope I am  There are not many folks here on HC any more. It's been a 20 plus year run here. I retired from working in educational science a few years ago

It was a pleasure listening to you and meet you here. Stop back when you can.

Michael

 

Hi Michael,

Thanks for sharing your story.  I am currently 60 years old, and guitar has been a big part of my life.  I learned how to play by looking at songbooks with chords, and with the chord illustrations, I was able to play songs by my own.  I had the opportunity to have taken formal guitar instruction from this retired Navy Band guitarist who owned a music school in Silverdale, WA for about 6 months in 2015.  He steered  me towards finger style music and taught me how to read music.  

You might be older than I am, and you must be really experienced in guitar playing in a band scenario.  I was part of a band when I was in Fallon, NV.  I was playing guitar with this awesome guitar player, a lefty, Larry Little, and he invited me to play in his band that he was forming.  John, the drummer is really good, and Larry - just marvelous, and there was me - playing bass guitar.  Larry told me that I can play bass, and he wanted me to play in a Trio with these magnificent musicians.  I had a blast!!!

But I am a guitar lover, guitar player, and I want to be the best (hahahaha).  And I do want to improve in my playing, even at 60.  I am currently involved in our local churched, my wife and I play music (duo) for our services, and we also have a choir (12-15 members, down to 10 at this pandemic times, and mostly senior citizens), with only one guitar - me.

As part of my quest to improve, I followed my daughter's advise for me to create my Youtube channel, which I obliged 1.5 years ago, shortly after I retired.  My YouTube channel is keeping me busy, and quite the challenge to improve, as I expose myself and my guitar to the world.  My goal to improve in my guitar playing is truly a lifetime process, as I will never be contented, there is so much to learn and master.  As for me, reach for the goal, and at the same time, be happy and maximize production/performance at the current level of ability.

I am very impressed in the experience and longevity you have acquired/accumulated in HC, you are deserving an award for being in this community for more than 20 years - Bravo!!!

Thanks for your time, and please keep in touch.

Respectfully,

Rene

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
1 hour ago, DeepEnd said:

Well done. I'm a mostly self-taught strummer and my sight reading is poor at best. And before I forget, welcome to the Forum.

Hi DeepEnd,

Thanks for the comments.  For the longest time, I have been a self-taught strummer myself.  I also developed a few finger plucking patterns, which can really add to the feeling of a song.  In my opinion, Finger plucking is a great beginning to fingerstyle guitar music playing, on which I am diving in and trying to improve in my guitar journey.  The big helper for me, is the ability to "read music a little", then add on the ability to sight-read, which I am not very good/(slow at best).  One area that I forgot to mention; is the familiarity with the basic scales like minor and major pentatonics, the blues, the do-re-mi...  That's where I am now, trying to exercise and improve on my ability to play fingerstyle guitar music.  Very enjoyable and satisfying.  

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Rene

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...