Fingerstyle Acoustic, "Jesu, Joy of Our Desiring" 1590 - 1644

Rene Asologuitar

• Members

Nice

I learned to play that song , when I dropped the pick and started to learn finger picking. I still to this day have  never owned a classical guitar.

Here's the sheet music too it.

For the most part my site reading has gone kaput, but I can still read for the most part, it's just slower now.

Once again nice work, some how I play it more like it's written here.

https://pdf4pro.com/cdn/jesu-joy-of-man-s-desiring-sacred-services-2c1fa.pdf

• Members
2 hours ago, Mikeo said:

Nice

I learned to play that song , when I dropped the pick and started to learn finger picking. I still to this day have  never owned a classical guitar.

Here's the sheet music too it.

For the most part my site reading has gone kaput, but I can still read for the most part, it's just slower now.

Once again nice work, some how I play it more like it's written here.

https://pdf4pro.com/cdn/jesu-joy-of-man-s-desiring-sacred-services-2c1fa.pdf

Hi Mikeo,

Thanks for the comments and the sheet music.

When I first started to play finger style, I was introduced to Hal Leonard "The Real Book, Sixth Edition".

I started to learn real music, and started sight reading.  Very slow.  I am still a very slow sight reader today.  But I developed my ear to where I can now comfortably play songs using the chord structure while playing the melody notes with it.  I combine ear playing and sight reading. 

Thanks again for your comments and time.

Rene

• Members
40 minutes ago, Rene Asologuitar said:

Hi Mikeo,

Thanks for the comments and the sheet music.

When I first started to play finger style, I was introduced to Hal Leonard "The Real Book, Sixth Edition".

I started to learn real music, and started sight reading.  Very slow.  I am still a very slow sight reader today.  But I developed my ear to where I can now comfortably play songs using the chord structure while playing the melody notes with it.  I combine ear playing and sight reading. 

Thanks again for your comments and time.

Rene

When I started playing guitar back in the early 70's, on day one my teacher ( a very very old guy) opened up Mel Bay Guitar Method book one. I used a pick. There are 6 books in all.

I took other lessons at a local conservatory and the instructor asked me if I could real music.  I said yes, nut I used a pick. He asked me if I wanted to learn Blackbird by The Beatles, and I told him I would and liked  the song very much. He said, you wouldn't need or want a pick for this song. I went through the song slowly for the first 5-10 minutes and he said, you site reading rather good. They also showed me  how to improvise at the conservatory.

My ear training wasn't so good, as all I did was site read.

Other kids I went to school with could play guitar well just by ear and could read at all.

Every Saturday at 9 am, my dad would give me a ride down to for my lesson. 4 years of lessons, it was very slow and cost a whopping 2 dollars for 30 minutes. So days the 9:3am  lesson never showed and I get an 30 minutes.

Site reading does take time. Timing can also be an issue. 

Since that is all I did, I have 100's of music folio's on a book shelf (mostly popular stuff). I have not looked at them in a long long time. My site reading is not that good, but playing in bands my ear training got much better.

My dad thought me playing the guitar would last about 3 months. almost 50 years later, not a day goes by, where I don't pick up the guitar. I also learned to play the mandolin. Site reading helped a lot there. The bass guitar is in the bass clef, so in my head I am moving the notes to where they would be in a G clef.

God willing ,they will pry the guitar out of my hands the day I die.

I am here every day, mostly to goof off on HCOJ, but sometimes I am real serious and helpful. At least I hope I am  There are not many folks here on HC any more. It's been a 20 plus year run here. I retired from working in educational science a few years ago

It was a pleasure listening to you and meet you here. Stop back when you can.

Michael

• Like 1

• Members
10 hours ago, Mikeo said:

When I started playing guitar back in the early 70's, on day one my teacher ( a very very old guy) opened up Mel Bay Guitar Method book one. I used a pick. There are 6 books in all.

I took other lessons at a local conservatory and the instructor asked me if I could real music.  I said yes, nut I used a pick. He asked me if I wanted to learn Blackbird by The Beatles, and I told him I would and liked  the song very much. He said, you wouldn't need or want a pick for this song. I went through the song slowly for the first 5-10 minutes and he said, you site reading rather good. They also showed me  how to improvise at the conservatory.

My ear training wasn't so good, as all I did was site read.

Other kids I went to school with could play guitar well just by ear and could read at all.

Every Saturday at 9 am, my dad would give me a ride down to for my lesson. 4 years of lessons, it was very slow and cost a whopping 2 dollars for 30 minutes. So days the 9:3am  lesson never showed and I get an 30 minutes.

Site reading does take time. Timing can also be an issue. 

Since that is all I did, I have 100's of music folio's on a book shelf (mostly popular stuff). I have not looked at them in a long long time. My site reading is not that good, but playing in bands my ear training got much better.

My dad thought me playing the guitar would last about 3 months. almost 50 years later, not a day goes by, where I don't pick up the guitar. I also learned to play the mandolin. Site reading helped a lot there. The bass guitar is in the bass clef, so in my head I am moving the notes to where they would be in a G clef.

God willing ,they will pry the guitar out of my hands the day I die.

I am here every day, mostly to goof off on HCOJ, but sometimes I am real serious and helpful. At least I hope I am  There are not many folks here on HC any more. It's been a 20 plus year run here. I retired from working in educational science a few years ago

It was a pleasure listening to you and meet you here. Stop back when you can.

Michael

Hi Michael,

Thanks for sharing your story.  I am currently 60 years old, and guitar has been a big part of my life.  I learned how to play by looking at songbooks with chords, and with the chord illustrations, I was able to play songs by my own.  I had the opportunity to have taken formal guitar instruction from this retired Navy Band guitarist who owned a music school in Silverdale, WA for about 6 months in 2015.  He steered  me towards finger style music and taught me how to read music.  

You might be older than I am, and you must be really experienced in guitar playing in a band scenario.  I was part of a band when I was in Fallon, NV.  I was playing guitar with this awesome guitar player, a lefty, Larry Little, and he invited me to play in his band that he was forming.  John, the drummer is really good, and Larry - just marvelous, and there was me - playing bass guitar.  Larry told me that I can play bass, and he wanted me to play in a Trio with these magnificent musicians.  I had a blast!!!

But I am a guitar lover, guitar player, and I want to be the best (hahahaha).  And I do want to improve in my playing, even at 60.  I am currently involved in our local churched, my wife and I play music (duo) for our services, and we also have a choir (12-15 members, down to 10 at this pandemic times, and mostly senior citizens), with only one guitar - me.

As part of my quest to improve, I followed my daughter's advise for me to create my Youtube channel, which I obliged 1.5 years ago, shortly after I retired.  My YouTube channel is keeping me busy, and quite the challenge to improve, as I expose myself and my guitar to the world.  My goal to improve in my guitar playing is truly a lifetime process, as I will never be contented, there is so much to learn and master.  As for me, reach for the goal, and at the same time, be happy and maximize production/performance at the current level of ability.

I am very impressed in the experience and longevity you have acquired/accumulated in HC, you are deserving an award for being in this community for more than 20 years - Bravo!!!

Thanks for your time, and please keep in touch.

Respectfully,

Rene

• Members
1 hour ago, DeepEnd said:

Well done. I'm a mostly self-taught strummer and my sight reading is poor at best. And before I forget, welcome to the Forum.

Hi DeepEnd,

Thanks for the comments.  For the longest time, I have been a self-taught strummer myself.  I also developed a few finger plucking patterns, which can really add to the feeling of a song.  In my opinion, Finger plucking is a great beginning to fingerstyle guitar music playing, on which I am diving in and trying to improve in my guitar journey.  The big helper for me, is the ability to "read music a little", then add on the ability to sight-read, which I am not very good/(slow at best).  One area that I forgot to mention; is the familiarity with the basic scales like minor and major pentatonics, the blues, the do-re-mi...  That's where I am now, trying to exercise and improve on my ability to play fingerstyle guitar music.  Very enjoyable and satisfying.  

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Rene