Question about Bi-amp setups

• Members

Hey all,

I've been trying to do some research on how to bi-amp my Peavey SP-2 main cabs.

I found on Audiopile some NL4 Speakon cables for this aplication, but have questions about the actual amplifiers to use.

I'm using Crown XLS power amps and was wondering if the top connection, which has the ability to run two speakers, is where you would connect to in order to use the bi-amp feature of the Speakers.

I've looked through the Crown manual and it doesn't imply anything about being able to use them for bi-amping cabinets, or at least specifically using the word bi-amp, and I'm not one to just start hooking crap up just to see if it will work! :eek:

So my basic question is,

1. Is the top Speakon connection on the Crown XLS amp used for bi-amping cabs,

or...

2. What amplifiers are able to do bi-amping.

For right now I'm just running them Stereo, but I have the Driverack PA+ and would like to use the crossover feature until we get our subs after the first of next year.

Thanks again!:thu:

• Members

Are you talking about modifying the speakers to biamp, or biamping the main speakers with subs? Cabling will be different and there are standards to follow in order to minimize the potential for unintended damage.

Any stereo amp can be used, you just need to know how it worls for signal routing.

Try searching here, we've gone over it in some detail before.

• Members

Are you talking about modifying the speakers to biamp, or biamping the main speakers with subs? Cabling will be different and there are standards to follow in order to minimize the potential for unintended damage.

Any stereo amp can be used, you just need to know how it worls for signal routing.

Try searching here, we've gone over it in some detail before.

more recent model sp2s have a speakon nl4 jack that is wired with one pair going to the horns and one pair going to the woofer. it's meant to be used with the peavey bi-pack amp.

for the OP the answer is going to be in the tech specs of your amp. if indeed it does work that way you need to verify which signal is going out on which pins of the speakon and make it work with your speakers layout.

• Members

Would he just modify the cables?

I've found that the most flexibility is gained by having a Dual Banana Jack on one End and an NL-4 Speakon on the other. That way the Op has the most flexibility in terms of what amp. Much of the time in Bi-Amp Situations one will use two different size amps for Lows/MIds & Highs.

Example - I have EAW LA325's. I run a QSC 3402 to each set of the Lows in the cabinets 1100w. Then I run a QSC PL1.8 to the Mid/High 600w/ Cab. So I have two Speakon cables that have 2 Bananas on one end. One goes into the 3402 and one into the PL1.8. The EAW's are wired to take the Lows on Pin 1+ and the Mid/High on Pin 2+

Todd A.

• Members

Also a good way to screw up polarity too, avoid the banana plug! Always, and I mean always use pins 1 for mid and 2 for highs, it won't be fool proof but it will keep your drivers safe. Use a dedicated patch panel that gets plugged in correctly once on installation and the ouputs are configured the way you need them.

• Members

Also a good way to screw up polarity too, avoid the banana plug! Always, and I mean always use pins 1 for mid and 2 for highs, it won't be fool proof but it will keep your drivers safe. Use a dedicated patch panel that gets plugged in correctly once on installation and the ouputs are configured the way you need them.

I see.... so If you were me, you would plugs the amps in using the bana jacks, then take that to a Rack panel across your rear rails and have a Properly wired NL4 in there to go out ot the Speaker? Makes sense.

I can see the dangers inherent here w/ the banana.

T

• Members

d I'm not one to just start hooking crap up just to see if it will work!
:eek:

So my basic question is,

1. Is the top Speakon connection on the Crown XLS amp used for bi-amping cabs,

:

YES Connect the low pass signal to amp channel 1 and the high pass to Chan 2. Use the top connector (speakon) and a 4 cond speakon cable to the SP2. Nice and neat, repeat for other channel.

Archived