I think I blew both of my PRX518S !!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Dropping a neutral likely means that your 120v socket could now deliver 240vac. Not likely but possible, especially if some work has been done recently.

Limiters use a number of schemes to determine "average or RMS" value. If you input something way out of the ordinary (ie, music) such as digital distortion then the averaging circuit won't get the right value for the waveform and therefore the threshold settings won't be accurate. it could effectively raise the threshold setting 3 dB which would mean that the limiter would allow double the power to flow before jumping in to do it's job.

That's the biggest thing to be aware of when inputting live signal (as opposed to a nice test bench tone). That's why you should always consider a little slop factor when dialing in anything (unless it's pre-recorded and therefore a known quantity)

• Members

Thanks Don.

Also, dropping a neutral connection back to the panel on a circuit that has a common neutral between phases, means that the voltage depends on the degree of current balance as the two loads act to form a voltage divider and the voltage can range from 0 volts to 240 volts or anywhre in between. It can be even goofier on a 3 phase because of the same effect, plus a square root of 3.

Archived