Restaurant / Dinner Music - what can I play?

• Members

I'm currently trying to find some songs that I can learn, I want to start getting gigs playing music in restaurants/trendy cafe type environments.

I play the piano & acoustic guitar and also sing vocals, does anyone have any suggestions?

I was thinking like Michael Buble etc? Ideally I would like to start getting some gigs at resorts or on dinner cruises etc, so trying to construct a list of songs that can be played while people are eating their dinners/chatting and then also some other songs that can be played when everyone has had a few drinks and ready to dance?

Im thinking mostly piano + vocals will be the go. Maybe something jazzy?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

• Members

Im thinking mostly piano + vocals will be the go. Maybe something jazzy?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm of the opinion it's gotta hit that magic point of being background music unless folks actually want to pay attention... entertaining but not in-your-face.

If the song includes vocals, then it's gotta tell a story, and generally be somewhat light and humorous.

I'll suggest what's generally played on XM 27 is a good starting spot to do some research. They just played Randy Newman's "Political Science"... I'm thinking that's got the right basic sound, it's entertaining/humorous... and just enough artistic license to the content to not just be another song. Now they're playing Billy Joel's "Pianoman"... probably another good pick that's not covered much, but most would recognize the song and would enjoy a well done rendition. Now they're playing James Taylor's "You've Got a Friend"... good dinner music vocal & guitar tune IMO.

For instrumentals... I'm thinking specializing and developing a schtick... maybe specializing in popular movie and teevee theme music... where the audience could get into "name that tune, movie, teevee show" among themselves. Like do a run of '60's and '70's Saturday morning cartoon theme songs... then later a run of classic family hour shows (Leave it to Beaver, Green Acres, Brady Bunch).

• Members

Look at stuff by James Taylor, Beatles, Elton John, Eagles, Kris Kristofferson, Johnny Cash, and going back farther you might try stuff by the Coasters, Drifters, Kingston Trio, Limelighters. YOu can also listen to what some of the bigger atrists have been doing with this material in conjunction with their own styles, like Tommy Emanuel and Laurence Juber.

• Members
Look at stuff by James Taylor' date=' Beatles, Elton John, Eagles, Kris Kristofferson, Johnny Cash, and going back farther you might try stuff by the Coasters, Drifters, Kingston Trio, Limelighters.

Some possible additions to your list (of similar):

Jimmy Buffet

Dan Fogelberg

Joe Jackson

Harry Chapin

Carpenters

Jackson Browne

Jim Croce

Dylan

Van Morrison

Boz Scaggs

Harry Nilsson

Bob Seger

Al Stewart

Billy Joel

Gordon Lightfoot

Cat Stevens

Carol King

Atlanta Rythem Section

• Members
Look at stuff by James Taylor, Beatles, Elton John, Eagles, Kris Kristofferson, Johnny Cash, and going back farther you might try stuff by the Coasters, Drifters, Kingston Trio, Limelighters.

Jimmy Buffet

Dan Fogelberg

Joe Jackson

Harry Chapin

Carpenters

Jackson Browne

Jim Croce

Dylan

Van Morrison

Boz Scaggs

Harry Nilsson

Bob Seger

I always wanted to do the Put the Lime in the Coconut song:thu:

• Members
Look at stuff by James Taylor, Beatles, Elton John, Eagles, Kris Kristofferson, Johnny Cash, and going back farther you might try stuff by the Coasters, Drifters, Kingston Trio, Limelighters.

Jimmy Buffet

Dan Fogelberg

Joe Jackson

Harry Chapin

Carpenters

Jackson Browne

Jim Croce

Dylan

Van Morrison

Boz Scaggs

Harry Nilsson

Bob Seger

Excellent choices too.

• Members

How about Arlo Guthrie, Tom Paxton, Peter Paul & Mary, New Christie Minstrels, Pete Seeger, Byrds, CSN&Y, Gordon Lightfoot, Weavers, Kate Wolf, Judy Collins, Jim Croche, Laura Nero, Cat Stevens, Simon & Garfunkel, etc.

(hope I didn't scare off the non-liberals here ;) I've worked with probably 1/2 of hese acts over the years.)

Good grief Mark, I feel old!!!

• Members

Good grief Mark, I feel old!!!

You are old. You and me both. I suspect between the two of us we're centurians.

If we were guitars (any type of guitars), we'd be collector items.

Hell, if we were cars we'd be collector items... and high enough octane fuel wouldn't be available to make us run without our heads pinging.

If we were buildings, brick huggers would have us on some national roster... and we'd have address' of First and Main.

If we were movies, we'd be in black & white.

If we were trees, we'd be old growth.

If we were rocks, we'd be pretty round. Wait and minute... I'm pretty round... so what's your exchuse?

Wait a minute... did somebody say something? That was on Tuesday? Oh... I guess I was napping. Everything's ok, right? ... I'm just gonna nodd off for awhile longer, oK? HuH? uh...

• Members

C'mon guys, (Mark, Andy) you're both still wet behind the ears compared to this ole picker. :)

Hmmmm, lemme see,,,, dinner music/background music,,,,, lots of good suggestions above, so let me add in general, some British Invasion tunes. Those always go over well.

"Don't Let The Sun Catch You Cryin'", by Jerry and the Pacemakers is one I often get asked to do. "Ferry 'Cross the Mersey" is another.

"'Til There Was You" by the Beatles, (great chords/fun to play)

Frankie Ifields' "I Remember You" is a great song (pre Beatles, circa 1962), and fun to play as well. Great chords. Johnny Mercer wrote that song btw.

"I'm Confessin' That I Love You" is another great tune by Ifield.

"Up On The Roof" is another good tune. (Carol King)

Some John Denver tunes can be cool too, when the mood is right. "Annies' Song", or "Sunshine on my Shoulders", or "Goodbye Again"

Roy Orbison did some great songs. I often play "In Dreams", and it gets a great reaction from young or old. "Blue Bayou", another great tune.

How about some Kenny Loggins? "Rainbow Connection", "House at Pooh Corner", or "Danny's Song"

Mama Cass Elliotts' "Dream A Little Dream of Me", or The Mamas and the Papas, "California Dreamin'"

How about Crosby, Stills and Nash's "Teach Your Children Well"

One of my favourite songs of all time, Bruce Springsteens' version of the Tom Waits song, "Jersey Girl". "I'm on Fire" is another great song.

Eagles, "Tequila Sunrise". "New Kid in town", is another great tune. "Peaceful Easy Feeling" is another. "Desperado",,,, fantastic song.

Jesse Winchester, "Isn't That So", or "Mississippi You're On My Mind", or "Defying Gravity".

Paul Simon "The Boxer", and "Lincoln Duncan"

Chad and Jeremy "A Summer Song"

The Monkees "Daydream Believer"

Rolling Stones "Lady Jane", or "As Tears Go By", or "Backstreet Girl".

"Puff the Magic Dragon" is a timeless song. "Freight Train" is another.

"Where Have All The Flowers Gone" is another. The Kingston Trio had a lot of great songs.

Sam Cooke "Cupid", if you can pull it off.

"Under the Boardwalk", by the Drifters.

"Crazy" the Patsy Cline hit, written by Willie Nelson.

The Seekers, when Judith Durham was lead singer, had some great songs. "Another You", and "A World of Our Own" come to mind.

How about Ray Charles,,, "You Don't Know Me"

It's just endless really. Depends on the crowd, and the mood.

Bob

• Members

The thing about folk and folk-rock is that it's pretty timeless, easy listening over a wide crossection of audience demographic, and reasonably easy to play a wide variety of. I used to play much of this stuff when I did play. If I can play it well, so can you... trust me.

Archived