Guitar wireless 1 receiver with 2 transmitters?

• Members

Hey all,

I figured it would be better to ask here rather than in the guitar section.

The lead guitarist in our band uses both his Strat and Les Paul at gigs. He changes at least once per set, depending on set list.

He wants to go wireless, but also wants to eliminate the issue of trying to swap transmitters on the straps.

Since he has to use two different size straps for each guitar it would be time consuming to try and swap the transmitter back and forth from their pouches.

So question: Can you purchase extra transmitters, on the same frequency,

for a wireless guitar unit so that you can use two transmitters, with one receiver? That way he only has to turn down the volume on one guitar and then grab the other and play away.

Logic seems to suggest you could.

Does anyone here do this, or know of someone who does?

Also, what units are best suited for this application.

Thanks,!

• Members

Logic, or at least that logic, would be wrong. You can use two transmitter but only one can be turned on at once, unless they are on different frequencies. Think of an FM transmitter for using a ipod in a car. Works fine for awhile until someone with a stronger transmitter on the same frequency drives by. The signal goes to hell for a few moments until the other transmitter is out of range. Same idea with what you propose. As I said if he remembers every time to turn off the transmitter not being used, it would work. And by off, I mean not turned on. Not muted or the guitar turned down; not transmitting, no power.

• Members

You could do something like get a Korg DTR 2000 rack tuner which has two inputs that are switchable either by the button on the tuner or an external footswitch and use two different wirelesses. I use mine like that but with a wireless on my main bass and a cord to a bass with a different tuning that I only use for a few songs.

• Members

I use a Samson Airline with the transmitter built into the 1/4" plug. I've thought of getting a second transmitter since I change guitars 2-3 times most sets. But it only takes an extra couple seconds to pull the transmitter when switching. I can usually change guitars in 15-20 seconds.

• Members

Just be aware of nasty noises when forgetting to switch off the transmitter on the guitar you've just put back on its stand when you switch on the one you've just picked up. Happens.

Two separate systems into two inputs on the amp is the way to go for reliability, but unfortunately not cost - although you could end up spending almost the same on a spare transmitter as on a complete transmitter/receiver kit because of the way things are priced.

• Members

A single channel will be just as reliable, maybe moreso if you are in a crowded RF environment. Only one opportunity for interference.

A transmitter only will be about 1/2-2/3 the cost of an entire system for most quality wireless units. Cheap junk wireless is more typically priced as complete sets with little price differential because most folks buying cheap junk aren't looking for a transmitter only accessory, therefore selling just transmitters is not part of their business model strategy.

• Members

I think he thought about the two complete units, but we have wireless mics and I already have a wireless on my guitar. Like Agedhorse stated, we don't want to add any more signals than we have to.

tlbonehead: How well is that Sampson Airline working for you? I almost got one for the simple fact I loved the idea of having only the "bug" and no wires or packs on my strap, plus it seems it would be easy to swap out from guitar to guitar.

Only reason I didn't get one was all the reviews I read said they were cheaply made and unreliable so it scared me off and I bought a Shure system.

• Members
I think he thought about the two complete units, but we have wireless mics and I already have a wireless on my guitar. Like Agedhorse stated, we don't want to add any more signals than we have to.

tlbonehead:
How well is that Sampson Airline working for you? I almost got one for the simple fact I loved the idea of having only the "bug" and no wires or packs on my strap, plus it seems it would be easy to swap out from guitar to guitar.

Only reason I didn't get one was all the reviews I read said they were cheaply made and unreliable so it scared me off and I bought a Shure system.

Had mine about three years. Use it pretty much every Fri/Sat night. No issues at all. GCDEF had one as well and seemed to like it. Same with a few folks in the EG forum. My bass player, on the other hand, has had an AKG Bug for a couple years and that thing has been a noisy PITA.

• Members

Had mine about three years. Use it pretty much every Fri/Sat night. No issues at all. GCDEF had one as well and seemed to like it. Same with a few folks in the EG forum. My bass player, on the other hand, has had an AKG Bug for a couple years and that thing has been a noisy PITA.

I had one. Used it for years. It was a good, reliable unit. I think the Line 6 XDS sounds slightly better, but for convenience and low battery consumption, the Airline is hard to beat.

• Members

I had one. Used it for years. It was a good, reliable unit. I think the Line 6 XDS sounds slightly better, but for convenience and low battery consumption, the Airline is hard to beat.

I've been using the same Airline system since they first hit the market. I've never had any trouble with it. The only caveat is when I have used it with an acoustic/electric with active preamp, I can slightly hear the compander circuit on the high e string.

Archived