• Members

I have one of those Behringer CX2310s (i know not very liked here) but it seems like the crossover provides no overlap of frequency to the subs and tops. Is this normal operation? I have the tops going to the High side and subs coming out of the mono sub out.

For example I'm toying with crossing the subs at about 120hz and then the tops will get the rest. However, I'd like the tops to get maybe a little lower than 120. To warm them up a bit because when I mute the subs the tops sound too tinny. And the subs when not muted don't seem like they make up for warmness I'm looking for. Any way I can accomplish this? What's the standard practice here?

I have EV SX300s for the tops that can do down to 50-60hz. and Yamaha Y118s for the subs. BTW we do classic rock covers and DJ music in between sets.

Thanks in advance.

• Members
I have one of those Behringer CX2310s (i know not very liked here) but it seems like the crossover provides no overlap of frequency to the subs and tops. Is this normal operation?

Yep.

Any way I can accomplish this?

Use two crossovers?

What's the standard practice here?

To not overlap :). Actually are you sure you're not underlapping? With that crossover you'd normally turn the sub frequency knob up fully clockwise if you are not using the low outputs - otherwise you get underlap.

• Members

Depends on what you mean by overlap. The crossover frequency is not a hard stop ... you still get output on either side of the crossover frequency. Remember that the crossover is only operating on the electrical signal sent to the power amps. If the amps aren't exactly balanced then there will be some overlap/underlap acoustically.

Deciding exactly what to do depends on a lot of measurements because overlaping usually causes cancelation of audio. I would recommend you don't overlap unless you can measure what the real end result actually is.

• CMS Author

Most driverack units are capable of adjusting HPF and LPF to overlap or underlap as needed.

I suggest you try to borrow or rent a crossover that you can adjust for your idea. See if it improves result at all. You might be surprised by what works, or by how little the adjustments do. All depends on the system.

Archived