Should I run one separate eq's for subs and highs?

• Members

I am current running my newly acquired rig in stereo mode where I have two individual left/right mixes. I'm just thinking if it would be easier to have separate mixes (one for subs and one for mid/high). So for example, I'm thinking I would take my LEFT output to EQ to LOW signal of crossover to amp to subs. Then RIGHT signal to EQ to MID/HIGH signal of crossover to amp to mid/high cabs. Is there a preference? Is one way considered "better" than the other? Just to illustrate for clarification:

Now

Mixer L -> Ch. 1 EQ -> Ch. 1 Xover (Low & high output) -> Low & High Amp -> Left side Cabs

Mixer R -> Ch. 2 EQ -> Ch. 2 Xover (Low & high output) -> Low & High Amp -> Right side Cabs

Proposed change

Mixer L -> Ch. 1 EQ -> Ch.1 Xover (Low output only ) -> Amp -> Subs

Mixer R -> Ch. 2 EQ -> Ch.2 Xover (Mid/High output only) -> Amp -> Top cabs

What I am thinking is with the proposed change method I could focus on mixing just the subs on channel 1 EQ and focus on mixing just mid/high for channel 2 EQ.

• Members

Ok. If it's no benefit then I will keep my stereo set up.

A question on the side: What is a good technique to get vocals to cut through the mix? I do karaoke every once in a while and the last couple of weeks playing around with the rig has been tough trying to get vocals to cut through the mix. My setup is set to what was advised here by fellow HC'ers. Crossover set to about 100hz with bass about 6db above highs. EQ is set pretty flat with a touch of highs and mids added for clarity. Toughest part is getting vocals to cut through on a consistent basis. Every song takes a lot of tweeking for the vocals to come out. It's especially hard when a new singer jumps on the mic.

• Members

Sounds to me like you need to get friendly with your channel strip and graphic EQ's. Every vocalist is going to have a slightly different voice, and will be wildly different and inconsistent with mic technique, so you may need to make adjustment continuously. The best way to figure it out for yourself is trial and error. Make adjustments and use your ears to figure out if your changes are having the desired effect. You can get suggestions from a message board all day long, but in the end it's up to what your ears are telling about how it sounds with your gear, in the specific room you're operating in.

Make BIG changes at first so that the change is obvious to your ears. If it's karaoke, most of the audience isn't going to notice anyway.... :thu:

• Members

It's karaoke, each vocalist will suck in their own unique way. To start, back off the cd's volume a bit and allow the vocals to stick out, also back off on the low end too.

What main speakers/amps are you using?

You and others might laugh but I'm currently running a PV14 to a pair of QSC RMX 1450s powering a pair of Soundfactor 215 and Yami SW118 subs. I know speakers are not the best but like you siad, it's only karaoke. I just want to maximize results out of what I've got.

• Members

What are you using for a vocal mic? Our Beta58s seem to cut through the mix better than our SM58s (though I prefer the tone of the SM58)

Right now I have an AKG dynamic mic. Not sure which model exactly. I also use a Samson mic which I picked up from Best Buy for $50. Not exactly your top of the line stuff. That might be where the problem lies. I've heard some great things about the Beta 58's. I'll have to try those out.

• Members

Well, your main speakers are a poor choice for up front vocal reproduction IMO, and combined with a (likely) poor choice in microphones, you have a real challenge in this area.

Your main speakers do not have a large enough horn/driver to keep up with the mid bass of your 15's, and as a resul of being inadequate, must be crossed over too high to remain present through the critical 800-2kHz region. My suggestion is to find a pair of quality 12" tops to replace your 215's. Something like the JBL MRX-512 is a place to start.

• Members

Well, your main speakers are a poor choice for up front vocal reproduction IMO, and combined with a (likely) poor choice in microphones, you have a real challenge in this area.

Your main speakers do not have a large enough horn/driver to keep up with the mid bass of your 15's, and as a resul of being inadequate, must be crossed over too high to remain present through the critical 800-2kHz region. My suggestion is to find a pair of quality 12" tops to replace your 215's. Something like the JBL MRX-512 is a place to start.

+1. You might be quite surprised at the difference in clarity that a decent pair of speakers and a decent mic would make.

Depending on your budget and inclination, I would suggest a pair of Yorkville Elite 210 cabs. I've placed these in a few elementary schools and they have very good vocal intelligibility (at that price point anyway). Two 10's with a horn in the middle, 600 watts program (300 RMS). The drawback is that they are mainly for vocals, little to no lower bass response, and perhaps they're out of your price range and purchase area. Lots of other good cabs out there, you might consider demoing a few.

A couple of mic suggestions: Shure SM58, Sennheiser e835, beyerdynamic TX88. These are all in and around the $100 mark in U.S. dollars.

• Members

Ok. If it's no benefit then I will keep my stereo set up.

A question on the side: What is a good technique to get vocals to cut through the mix? I do karaoke every once in a while and the last couple of weeks playing around with the rig has been tough trying to get vocals to cut through the mix. My setup is set to what was advised here by fellow HC'ers. Crossover set to about 100hz with bass about 6db above highs. EQ is set pretty flat with a touch of highs and mids added for clarity. Toughest part is getting vocals to cut through on a consistent basis. Every song takes a lot of tweeking for the vocals to come out. It's especially hard when a new singer jumps on the mic.

Are you using a mixer? or are you plugging the mic directly into your tops?(built-in mixer??)

Mounting your mic on a stand, with a pop filter in front of it, might help keep the "mic-eaters" somewhat under control.

No need to apologise for doing Karaoke. Same attention required as any other form of live entertainment, and, all the more reason to have components that will deliver quality sound and intelligibility. Sure, a lot of performances can be cheesy, but some can be surprisingly good. Proper selection of the music you're playing, can have a huge impact on giving the singer confidence and "letting go".

Bob

Archived