Please help with powered sub

• Members

I'm wanting to buy a powered sub. We now have (2) EV ZX 4's for mains and we have (2) EV Eliminators subs. The subs are passive and driven by 750 watts each. We have a DBX driverrack speaker management system. Our mixer is a A&H 16:3. The reason we are wanting to go with a powered sub is it will probably have more punch and cleaner. We are a gospel quartet and use sound tracks and have a bass singer that is capable of kicking in the subs. Any help will be apreciated. Which is best,better or good. Thanks

• Members

Powered subs don't necessarily mean more punch and cleaner sound. That being said, I am a big fan of powered speakers. The Driverack can work with any speakers, powered or passive.

The big question is budget. There are a lot of very good to great powered subs out there but some can get pricey. What is your price range? You might even want to consider one great sub instead of two good subs. There are lots of options.

• Members

Thanks for the info. I can spend up to about 2,000.00. Can you give me 3 or 4 differant ones to look at that are good?

If you have an Amp that can send 750 watts, Look at a Pair of JBL SRX718's. Lighter, and real nice sounding, and at about $1700 (or less...) under budget.

• Members

I'm wanting to buy a powered sub. We now have (2) EV ZX 4's for mains and we have (2) EV Eliminators subs. The subs are passive and driven by 750 watts each. We have a DBX driverrack speaker management system. Our mixer is a A&H 16:3. The reason we are wanting to go with a powered sub is it will probably have more punch and cleaner. We are a gospel quartet and use sound tracks and have a bass singer that is capable of kicking in the subs. Any help will be apreciated. Which is best,better or good. Thanks

The EV Eliminator single 18" 6th order bandpass sub is by far the worst example of any 6th order box I have ever encountered. No wonder you are looking for something better. I love EV gear....but not these.

This piece of junk is 81db 1w 1m@40 hz, 87db@50hz,93db@60hz,98@70hz,99@80hz,97db@90hz, and 96db@100hz.

I layman's terms that means that the responsre is so low in between 40hz and 60hz,(minus 18db to minius 7db), that the frequencies much below 60hz are all but inaudable.

Powered subs offer ways of getting the most out of a sub as far as volume goes by incorporating "tricks" as Andy calls them.(and rightly so).;)

I prefer passive subs and if you have the amp already, then save the money over buying active since you have a Driverack already. Passive subs I would suggest are LS808s, LS608s, USC1 and the SRX718.

If you really want active....Yorkville LS801P, USC1P, and PRX718.

There are more expensive subs that are better than all of these.....but the cost becomes prohibitive.

KV makes great stuff, just think $2000.00 plus per sub.

• Members

EV SBA760 would be my vote but for a little more spl:

the JBL PRX718/VRX719 and KV2 EX2.2 for small and pretty light

The EV is being discontinued so it might be a great time to buy them. As for the KV2 being light, I guess it's relative, but many wouldn't consider 108lbs. "light".

JP

• Members

EV makes the SB122 which is a passive 12" as well as an active version of it. The passive is about $400 after taxes and the powered is around 800 I think. Also consider QSC K Sub. It's a powered dual 12" and has good kick and reaponse, much tighter than the HPR 18" powered sub that they produce.

• Members

Thanks for the info. I can spend up to about 2,000.00. Can you give me 3 or 4 differant ones to look at that are good?

The QSC KSub might be a good option for you. My complaint about them is their width (14") and it's potential stability problems. Not a bad sounding sub. Your tops are about 44 pounds so personally, I'd want a wider, more stable sub if I was to pole mount the tops. I also like the JBL PRX518 for your needs. SRX single 18 and and properly matched amp will sound better then the other choices, though.

• Members

OK if I went with passive and it was between the Yorkville LS808 or JBL SRX718 which would be better? Thanks

While the 808 might be louder than the 718 many claim the 718 sounds much more musical. Ive never heard the 808 but I have used the LS800p which is the powered version of the 808. Comparing the 718 with the 800p I like the 718's sound much better.

The 718 is also quite a bit smaller, lighter and easier to move. If your on a tight budget the 608/808 might be a better buy. The 718 does cost a few hundred more.

Archived