Typical band on a budget PA advice

• Members

I have both a passive and active system. I can tell you that they both will get you good sound (assuming that components are of decent quality). Only difference is that with a passive system it will take a lot of tweaking to get the sound you want. With my active system I don't have to do much (sometimes I don't have to do anything). When you're setting up for shows time is of essence.

I hadn't even considered that, thanks! I was just worried about running power to too many places. And I was starting to get my heart set on the club series. :lol:

• Members

I hadn't even considered that, thanks! I was just worried about running power to too many places. And I was starting to get my heart set on the club series.
:lol:

Running powered speakers does take a little planning for stage plots. The advantages, in my opinion, greatly outweigh the disadvantages.

• Members

... Not much in the way of stuff in Klamath as we're not that big, but Medford and Bend have good stuff pop up frequently.

Not much anywhere near you... There are some used Peavey PR12s in the Sacremento area... but nothing that I'd call a bargain.

Scaremento GC has a QSC RMX1450 for two bills, though... that's actually a bargain.

There's a MixWiz in with some other stuff in the portland area... might be the early version w/out FX, though... and the rest of the gear is dodgy.

This is a decent price on a GigRig... the other stuff not so much...

Make a shopping list and keep your eyes peeled... and be patient.

• Members

Not much anywhere near you... There are some used Peavey PR12s in the Sacremento area... but nothing that I'd call a bargain.

Scaremento GC has a QSC RMX1450 for two bills, though... that's actually a bargain.

There's a MixWiz in with some other stuff
in the portland area
... might be the early version w/out FX, though... and the rest of the gear is dodgy.

This
is a decent price on a GigRig... the other stuff not so much...

Make a shopping list and keep your eyes peeled... and be patient.

Thanks, man! You have gone above and beyond the call of duty. :thu:

I'm mostly planning to order stuff online if I can't find it on CL or the GC in Medford, but I definitely appreciate all the great feedback. Musician's Friend is actually based out of Medford, too, so I was using them for a lot of my research.

• Members

Heard about the brand here. Recently had a chance to hear those MAINS and thought they sounded pretty good for the money. Got me convinced that the brand is a good bang for the buck. Still waiting to try the Sub, supposedly a decent speaker. Also, seeing these guys selling Proel tells me it's good stuff, since they carry mostly higher end gear.

Cool, I'll have to check them out. Thanks!

• Members

Ok, how does this sound?

- Peavey PR 12D for both mains and monitors

- Peavey PV14 for mixer

Wow...that seems so much simpler. :)

I also factored in about $200 for cables and stands. Should I bother with the EQ for now if I go with the powered speakers?

• Members

Ok, how does this sound?

- Peavey PV14 for mixer

Wow...that seems so much simpler.
:)

I also factored in about $200 for cables and stands. Should I bother with the EQ for now if I go with the powered speakers?

Be aware that the PR12D's require something to prop them at the proper angle for use as a monitor, They make special feet for them at about $25 but a roll of tape works OK too.

Using a pre-eq's powered speaker does lessen feedback but you may still need it if you can't keep your stage volume down. What mics are you planning on using?

You'll still want subs eventually - Peavey just released this one:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PV118DP/

A pair of those would round out a pretty decent system :).

Of course Peavey had to once again screw the pooch on the docs by telling us they are bi-amp'd :lol::facepalm: :

http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/item/116926/PV%C2%AE%20118D%20Powered%20Sub.cfm#tabFeatures

• Members

Should I bother with the EQ for now if I go with the powered speakers?

Yeah, you should bother with EQs. A few good used 31-band units on CL will fill your needs nicely and will fit in a small portable rack.

Ok, how does this sound?

Sounds like a pretty decent simple system. If you felt like spending some more $, the Peavey FX series has EQ and lots of processing built-in, but no EQ for the AUX sends. You could get by on fewer EQs and outboard effects, but it would cost more.

• Members

Ok, how does this sound?

- Peavey PV14 for mixer

Wow...that seems so much simpler.

I haven't heard either, but for looks I'd probably go with the Titans (they have nice covers) and blue leds in the horn. Kinda cool! :thu:

http://www.frontendaudio.com/Wharfedale-Titan-12-Speaker-System-p/9999-01717.htm

k_-xBPENO-I

Price is identical.

• Members

Sounds like a pretty decent simple system. If you felt like spending some more $, the Peavey FX series has EQ and lots of processing built-in, but no EQ for the AUX sends. You could get by on fewer EQs and outboard effects, but it would cost more.

How much more are we talking? I don't mind jumping up in price a bit if the quality jump is worth it.

• Members

I haven't heard either, but for looks I'd probably go with the Titans (they have nice covers) and blue leds in the horn. Kinda cool!
:thu:
Price is identical.

Pretty good review on those things here:

http://www.performing-musician.com/pm/dec07/articles/wharfedaletitan.htm

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2267454

I wonder how they stack up vs the 12Ds.

• Members

Cross off everything but the Clubs, including for the monitors. Also have a good look at the Peavey SP-12M monitor.

Speakers make or break a system.

Look at 12" speakers if you have intentions of adding subs in the future, and you should intend to add subs in the future if you're a rock band. 12's are much lighter, a bit less expensive, and will handle your immediate needs very well.

If you can't expand the budget, look at used items rather than go with cheaper new items.

I would take yorkville nx or elite over yamaha club anyday.

• Members

I would take yorkville nx or elite over yamaha club anyday.

I think the all the gurus here have me swayed to going with powered speakers. Now I'm just struggling with which ones:

Peavey PR12D

Wharfedale Titan 12

Yorkville NX25P

All come in at about $800 a pair. I wish I could sit down with all 3 and rock out for a few hours.

• Members
Peavey PR12D

Wharfedale Titan 12

Yorkville NX25P

For best service network I'd go with the Peavey :). For best imitation of an alien spacecraft I'd go with the Titans ;). For most typos in a user manual the nod goes to the Peavey :freak:. I hate that the Peavey doesn't have a clip limiter light (can live without the power indicator) on the front :( - I believe the Titan flashes the horn throat red when limiting? The Titan works as a monitor without extra feet. I believe the shape of the Titans rolls around in your vehicle more than the squarer Peavey. People know who Peavey is - you can pass off the Wharfdales as boutique British imports :lol:. NX25P's weight 45lbs vs 28 for the other two - but do look the most "pro" of the lot.

• Members

I know I'll probably get flamed for saying this, but we picked up a pair of Harbinger APS15s for use as a rehearsal PA and they've been really solid and have decent bass output for being so low-rent. We got them on a price match deal at GC for $175/ea. incl. tax. They have yet to go into clip much in rehearsal or overheat when used on their sides as floor monitors during gigs. Harbinger also have a 12" version out now called the APS12 that are only $150/ea. at Musician's Fiend... and I think I'm going to buy a pair of just to have two more powered monitors w/ smaller footprint handy. Neither are Bi-Amped and they're under 200W ea. so I know many we'll advise you to stay away... but I think they're a good value in floor monitors. (BTW - I hate GC with a passion, but I'll admit that these cabs are a guilty pleasure. I'm also planning to trade in some gear there in the 2nd week of December to get their Trade-up 15% off... I need a pair of KRK studio monitors that will also be on sale that week.:lem::lem::lem::lem::lem:)

• Members

For best service network I'd go with the Peavey
. For best imitation of an alien spacecraft I'd go with the Titans
;)
. For most typos in a user manual the nod goes to the Peavey
:freak:
. I hate that the Peavey doesn't have a clip limiter light (can live without the power indicator) on the front
:(
- I believe the Titan flashes the horn throat red when limiting? The Titan works as a monitor without extra feet. I believe the shape of the Titans rolls around in your vehicle more than the squarer Peavey. People know who Peavey is - you can pass off the Wharfdales as boutique British imports
:lol:
. NX25P's weight 45lbs vs 28 for the other two - but do look the most "pro" of the lot.

I'm leaning towards the Titans right now because I think the Yorkville's will be underpowered and I'm not totally sold on the Peavey's. I heard some PR15's at a gig the other night and was not impressed. I think they were the unpowered version and probably weren't EQ'ed well, but it still left some doubts.

Plus the Titans rate better in their "WTF are those things?" response, which we all know is the ultimate measure of technology. :)

• Members

If you go this route could you please let us know your impressions?

Yep, will do. I'm probably not going to buy them for a couple of months, but I'll come back and let you know what I think.

Of course by the time I'm actually ready to buy I may have changed my mind 5 more times. :lol:

Archived