Typical band on a budget PA advice

• Members

Hey all! I'm new here so first just let me say how impressed I've been with this forum so far. There is a rediculous amount of knowledge and experience floating around here. Ok, enough butt kissing...on to my situation.

I play guitar and sing in an acoustic-based rock band. There are 3 of us: me, a violin player and another guitarist. We've been getting by on a little Kustom Profile One system for the last couple of years, but we're starting to play more and bigger shows and I'm thinking about putting together a better PA system. So I've spent the last month or so researching components and there's so much out there I'm a little overwhelmed and looking for some advice.

Some things to keep in mind:

- we may add bass in the near future

- we may add percussion in the near future (probably not a full drum kit, though)

- the other guitarist switches between acoustic and electric for leads and we want to start micing his tube amp

- I'm not planning on buying subs yet

- I'm looking to spend about $2k, but could be talked into a little more if it means better quality

Ok, so here are some of the options I've narrowed it down to:

Mains:

- Yamaha S115V or C115V

- Yamaha BR15

- Peavey PR15

- JBL JRX115

- Yorkville?

Monitors:

- Yamaha A12M

- Yamaha BR15

Amp:

- QSC GX-5

Mixer:

- Yamaha MG166C (or maybe MG166 and buy a compressor separately?)

- Peavey PV14

Am I missing anything? Any ideas on the best bang for my buck?

Thanks!

• Members

If you go with the Yamahas, you definitely want the Club series, and they would make a good choice for monitors as well. I think a GX3 might be plenty of power for those, but I'll let others chime in on that. I have the PV14, like it a lot, and I haven't seen any need for a compressor.

• CMS Author

Cross off everything but the Clubs, including for the monitors. Also have a good look at the Peavey SP-12M monitor.

Speakers make or break a system.

Look at 12" speakers if you have intentions of adding subs in the future, and you should intend to add subs in the future if you're a rock band. 12's are much lighter, a bit less expensive, and will handle your immediate needs very well.

If you can't expand the budget, look at used items rather than go with cheaper new items.

• Members

I've got a sure Shure SM58 that I like. What would you recommend for micing the tube amp?

If you go with the Yamahas, you definitely want the Club series, and they would make a good choice for monitors as well. I think a GX3 might be plenty of power for those, but I'll let others chime in on that. I have the PV14, like it a lot, and I haven't seen any need for a compressor.

If I run the club series for both mains and monitors, would the GX-5 even be enough or should I have an amp for both, separately? The QSC site recommends the PLX1804 if you're going to run all 4 on one amp, but is substantially more expensive. Alternately, would the S112V's work for what we're doing with the understanding that we will probably add subs later?

• Members

Look at 12" speakers if you have intentions of adding subs in the future, and you should intend to add subs in the future if you're a rock band.

lol...you beat me to my question.

Is there anything else comparable to the club series in that price range? I hear good things about Yorkville's, too.

• Members

The S112V would work fine if you are planning on adding subs later on. The GX5 would be sufficient for a pair of S112V and a pair of SM112V. Run mains off one channel and monitors off the other. For mixer, either the MG166 or PV14 would work great. I wouldn't even bother with a compressor. Instead get yourself a decent EQ.

Your first option should be a powered speaker system though. Less items to mess around with and most processing are done for you. You could literally go from mixer to speakers. Done!

• Members

Instead get yourself a decent EQ.

Amen to that! Get a dual 31-band... one ch. for the mains and one for the monitors. PV w/ FLS (Feedback Locator System) can be found used for $200 or less.)

FWIW - We're on the same track as you and with a little patience we've been able to put together a cork-sniffer rig on a budget by saving for a particular upgrade in advance and then waiting for our target piece of gear to hit the price that we've been willing to pay.

• Members

I run the Club 12s for mains, occasionally using my PV SP118 sub with them. I also run PV SM-12M monitors. I powers tops on one side of my Yamaha P3500S and monitors on the other. The P3500S is rated like the GX3, hence my feeling that that may be enough. One thing to remember is that when you run one speaker off each side of an amp, you're typically presenting it with an 8 ohm load, while two speakers in parallel will show it a 4 ohm load, and the amp will put out close to twice as much power in response. I don't understand why so many folks recommend running one speaker per channel, it's more gear to buy and hook up as far as I'm concerned.

When I use the sub, I use the internal filters to run tops on one side and the sub on the other of my P3500S and use a separate amp for the monitors.

BTW, my mixer is the PV14 and it has been fine for my needs.

• Members

The S112V would work fine if you are planning on adding subs later on. The GX5 would be sufficient for a pair of S112V and a pair of SM112V. Run mains off one channel and monitors off the other. For mixer, either the MG166 or PV14 would work great. I wouldn't even bother with a compressor. Instead get yourself a decent EQ.

Your first option should be a powered speaker system though. Less items to mess around with and most processing are done for you. You could literally go from mixer to speakers. Done!

I hadn't even thought about the EQ. What's a decent one that won't break the bank?

I went down the road of amp and passive vs active, but I was thinking it would be more flexible to go the all components route. Not that I'm completely adverse to powered speakers. Is there anything powered similar to the clubs?

• Members

I'll try too...

2 Mains($798)

http://www.thedjhouse.com/item/101176/

1 Sub($479)

http://www.thedjhouse.com/item/101177/

2 Monitors($578)

http://www.thedjhouse.com/item/101174/

Mixer($232)

http://www.amazon.com/Peavey-Pv14-Channel-Mixer-Console/dp/B000NKQCZE

Total = 2087

You're welcome.

Somebody likes Proel. :)

I've never heard of Proel...what's the scoop on them? Have you had good luck in the past?

• Members

You might also be able to temporarily get by with one speaker or a top and sub. You can add more as you start making more money. I believe it is better going with one high quality speaker then two lower quality. Go into this with a long term plan so you can minimize the wasted money.

• Members

I hadn't even thought about the EQ. What's a decent one that won't break the bank?

I went down the road of amp and passive vs active, but I was thinking it would be more flexible to go the all components route. Not that I'm completely adverse to powered speakers. Is there anything powered similar to the clubs?

Good entry level EQ's that won't break the bank would be a dbx 231 or PV231. Others can add to the list but I have had good experience with these two. For $100 or less these EQ's will get the job done.

I have both a passive and active system. I can tell you that they both will get you good sound (assuming that components are of decent quality). Only difference is that with a passive system it will take a lot of tweaking to get the sound you want. With my active system I don't have to do much (sometimes I don't have to do anything). When you're setting up for shows time is of essence.

• Members

Yeah, I was thinking about heading over that way. And I'm always checking CL around the region for good deals. Not much in the way of stuff in Klamath as we're not that big, but Medford and Bend have good stuff pop up frequently.

Archived