A little advice...

• Members

Happy Thanksgiving!

I'm a solo guitar gig (1 git / 1 vocal) right now looking for my first PA. I run two pick-ups on my guitar and like to pan them R/L. In my searching though, I'm finding not everyone offers pan on their units. I'd like to stay away from 500 - idealy my budget is 3 to 4.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...ge-?sku=502577

//

I posted for feedback on this unit on the acoustic forum and was informed it was "OK", but better to go with this Carvin pa / / (unfortunately no pan).

http://www.carvinguitars.com/product...L-PM10&cid=101

I really like having pan, but am I going to pay through the nose for it in a good system? Any thoughts would be apprectiated:thu:

• Members

Please state the nature of your medical emergency....

In other words, where are you performing - type and size of venue...? What kind of music? Is this for fun or profit? Do you already own a good mic, cables, stand....

Three to four hundred won't get you much, unless you can get a crazy used deal - or unless you don't really need all that much.

You'll love your sound in stereo, unfortunately practically no one else will notice, care or even be able to hear it. Unless of course you're playing in your living room, then stereo is a cool thing.

Better to get decent mono than junk stereo IMO.

Links didn't work for me BTW.

• Members
Please state the nature of your medical emergency....

In other words, where are you performing - type and size of venue...? What kind of music? Is this for fun or profit? Do you already own a good mic, cables, stand..../QUOTE]

Sorry... small coffee shops, probably downtown sometimes outside, but small venues. Music is straight acoustic right now with one vocal (me:)) - not butt rock, just simple acoustic. I'm recording and would like to get my music into circulation. I can borrow a sm58 and cable until I can afford one - I'd like to get a descent system. It sounds like, unless I buy used like you said, I won't be able to get "descent" with 3 to 4 hundred new. I reposted the links - I'm curious to know what you think of the Carvin. Thanx again

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=XP800L-PM10&cid=101

This is the Phonic

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Phonic-Powerpod-820-S710-PA-Package-?sku=502577

• Members
Hey Shaster - I checked the links, they work:thu:

thanx again

still don't work for me. Anyway, no luv for Kustom stuff around here (for good reason) but the Profile 2 would be perfect for you. I have one that I got for next to nothing and they sound pretty good, the channels have pan controls, and the effects sound pretty good. I've done a number of intimate acoustic gigs with mine.

• Members

Most recent links working, not sure what was up.

Carvin... I don't know what to say about Carvin. Lots of people defend it, I'm just not sure, so I'll refrain from comment.

I personally would say no to Phonic., but that's me.

I like agedhorse's idea of a good used or on sale acoustic guitar/PA amp. No muss, no fuss. And it could double as an acoustic guitar monitor when you move up the food chain.

Otherwise I suspect that anything you buy will eventually have to be replaced, as your critical listening skills improve.

Having said all that, I'm currently trying out a Yorkville NX25P for use as a monitor in an R&B band. I've used these before (as monitors) with pretty good success. This particular powered speaker has a mixer section, and you can plug a mic and a guitar in at the same time IIRC. The one I'm "auditioning" is going for CAN $350 (used).

I've used the NX25P in my solo act and was pretty impressed (at any price), so upon contemplation, I guess that it's possible to get quality at and around your price point. Just depends on your configuration.

There are other powered speakers with mixer sections, so you might consider the idea of one powered speaker with a mixer section (to start) - no FX though if that matters to you.

• Members

Having said all that, I'm currently trying out a Yorkville NX25P for use as a monitor in an R&B band. I've used these before (as monitors) with pretty good success. This particular powered speaker has a mixer section, and you can plug a mic and a guitar in at the same time IIRC. The one I'm "auditioning" is going for CAN $350 (used).

I've used the NX25P in my solo act and was pretty impressed (at any price),

I've been thinking about picking up one of those. How are they on vocals?

Bob

• Members

The Carvin package would work fine for a solo acoustic guitarist doing restaurants/coffee shops.

I have had two Carvin Powered heads and they are OK. Im partial to Peavey but that probably because I used them the most.

EDIT:

I would blend the two guitar signal together and not Pan them. If you have two seperate outs on your guitar for each pickup you can use two channels and mess with each channel EQ to get a real big, solid guitar sound.

• Members

I've been thinking about picking up one of those. How are they on vocals?

Bob

The NX25P's that I've tried in the past worked quite well for vocal monitors. I'm trying one out tonight in a tough environtment. The drummer (who is 6'3' and about 230 lbs) is on a riser, with his menagerie of cymbals aimed right at the lead singers head. If the NX25P can cut this gig as a monitor (where many other speakers have failed) then I'll have a winner - at least in the budget category.

• Members

In a live situation nobody but the one or two people in the sweet spot cares about your stereo panning and it's likely to cause more problems than it can possibly solve, so nix that as a concern.

There are a number of decent powered speakers with two or three inputs on them that would do the job for you or as already suggested, some acoustic amps have multiple inputs and would also work very well. One good powered speaker or amp is in my opinion your best bet on that low a budget if sound quality is important to you and you'll be stretching to reach for any kind of quality as it is unless you can find used.

For most of the coffee houses around here, one good speaker or acoustic amp would provide plenty of level and coverage for those that really want to listen. Easy to carry and simple to set up to boot!

Good luck! Winston

• Members

The NX25P's that I've tried in the past worked quite well for vocal monitors. I'm trying one out tonight in a tough environtment. The drummer (who is 6'3' and about 230 lbs) is on a riser, with his menagerie of cymbals aimed right at the lead singers head. If the NX25P can cut this gig as a monitor (where many other speakers have failed) then I'll have a winner - at least in the budget category.

Shaster, break-a-leg tonight. :thu:

Let me know how it went.

Bob

Archived