monitor amp

• Members

Last night I was doing sound at a metal show and my monitor amp would clip every little while. I had the master gain for the auxiliary at 2 o'clock. And the channel aux at 1 o'clock. I only had mainly vox going thru with alittle guitar. I use jrx 112 for monitors and the amp is crown xls 802. I had the amp at about 4 o'clock. Any advice on what I can do for the next metal show I do

• Members

Last night I was doing sound at a metal show and my monitor amp would clip every little while. I had the master gain for the auxiliary at 2 o'clock. And the channel aux at 1 o'clock. I only had mainly vox going thru with alittle guitar. I use jrx 112 for monitors and the amp is crown xls 802. I had the amp at about 4 o'clock. Any advice on what I can do for the next metal show I do

Get more appropriate equipment.

You have run out of both power and speaker for your application. You need to take a step up, or live with it as it is. If I were you, I would back off just a little and hang with it unless you have the funds to do a real upgrade.

• Members
What would be an upgrade? Monitor and amp

That amp has plenty of power but it lacks clip limiters so can't be run to its full potential :(. Biggest issue is your "firewood grade" monitors. Get some used EV FM1502's. They are super efficient, super loud, super heavy, super big - HUGE poser metalhead bling value ;).

• Members
Those EV's Roadranger mentioned are big, heavy and efficient. You might be able to find some of them used.

Yah, pretty much only metalheads and old school hard rockers like them so you should be able to find them cheap enough. A band I work with has two of the smaller 12" versions and they really sound decent too - they were top notch pro grade in their day. Even those are stoopid big & heavy but if they wanna transport and carry 'em I'll use them ;). Having to use a hand truck for monitors just seems wrong to me - I think those FM1502's are 75lbs :eek:!

• Members
which amps have clip limiters in them?? give me some models please

Pretty much any decent present production amp. The XLS is the only one I can think of that doesn't have them. The GX5 would be about the same power as your XLS802 and much less likely to blow your $$$ HF drivers.

• Members

I sometimes wonder if JBL had any idea that giving their budget line the same model configuration as their more expensive counterparts would work out so well (ie. PRX, SRX, MRX, and behold JRX).

I would have bet that a low level line would have hurt JBL's reputation, but it seems it hasn't made a bit of difference, kind of interesting.

At least Mackie gave a different name to their budget speakers (at first) but I hear the Thumps have been rebranded.

Oh yea, those EV 1502's.... are heavy, but boy they sure were THE thing back in the "old" days. I still like them - at the right price.

• Members
I sometimes wonder if JBL had any idea that giving their budget line the same model configuration as their more expensive counterparts would work out so well (ie. PRX, SRX, MRX, and behold JRX).

I always thought the "JR" stands for junior, as in it being their kiddie toy line :lol:.

• Members

Ok, someone please explain to me how adding speakers is going to prevent his amp from clipping. I can understand how a more efficient speaker might help, but after that I'm lost.

With one box on a channel (assumption), adding a second wedge will increase the power the amp can deliver and the SPL as well as the fullness to that position on stage will increase significantly.

I double-box all my front line positions with SRX-712's. Very robust, even with only 300 watts per box (they are biamped of course), and I never run into the limiters, which is why I haven't upgraded power. Plenty loud for the application.

Archived