1/4 in. to XLR cables

• Members

Hey, so I want to record with my MixWiz3. The problem is that my line outs are 1/4 in., and 8 of my inputs on my firestudio tube are mic level XLR. Common sense says that I can just use a 1/4 to XLR cable. So....my real question is, does a 1/4 in. to XLR cable convert the signal from a line level to a mic level signal? Or do I have to use a DI box (1/4 inch in -> XLR out)?

Thanks

• Members

Hey, so I want to record with my MixWiz3. The problem is that my line outs are 1/4 in., and 8 of my inputs on my firestudio tube are mic level XLR. Common sense says that I can just use a 1/4 to XLR cable. So....my real question is, does a 1/4 in. to XLR cable convert the signal from a line level to a mic level signal? Or do I have to use a DI box (1/4 inch in -> XLR out)?

Thanks

The level going into the Firestudio won't matter. Not to mention, a Frestudio accepts both XLR and 1/4' AFAIK. No, an XLR to 1/4' will not reduce signal level, but you don't need to. No, a DI box is not necessary.

• Members

A 1/4" connector can mean many things.

In this case, according to Page 11 of the Mixwizard manual, all 1/4" connectors are balanced TRS. That can be converted to an XLR connector with an adapter or an adapter cable. Check Page 10 for details on cables.

It will still be line level: nothing is being changed but the connector.

However, the FireStudio has line inputs with 1/4" TRS connectors. Thus, you just need a TRS-TRS cable. The Personus manual is not very clear, however, on Page 41 it states that the TRS are line ins on Ch. 3-8 while on P. 47 it indicates that the RET 1&2 TRS jacks on the back are line ins for Ch. 1-2. According to P. 41, do not plug a line source into the combo jacks of Ch. 1-2.

• Members

Be very careful when converting to an input that MAY have phantom power present. Not all TRS outputs are phantom power protected and nasty things can happen. Most XLR inputs on mic pres and some converters that accept mic level can have phantom present.

Also, termination of the cables may vary if a conversion between balanced and unbalanced is necessary. In some cases the unused pin is left open, some cases it's shorted to shield and in some cases t's terminated with an impedance balancing resistor depending on both the output stage and input stage being interfaced.

• Members

Here's what I use http://www.audiopile.net/products/Mic_Instr_Cables/MP_Adaptor_Cbls/MP-106/MP-106_cutsheet.shtml

You do know that your recording mic signal will pass through 2 mic preamp stages? one from the mixwiz micpre's and the other from the firestudio micpre's.

Not sure if you can bypass the micpre's on the firestudio or not, but just giving you a heads up you might have unnecessary noise from the gain stage of both different mic preamps.

• Members

Thanks guys. I understand that I can use the 1/4 in to 1/4 in on my firestudio. However, my issue was that I wanted to use all 14 inputs (the other 2 only accept instrument or mic level inputs) at once for live recording. 8 of those 14 inputs are XLR, but all of my MixWiz outputs are 1/4 in., so I was just wondering if using a 1/4 in. to XLR cable would work. Now I know that it will

Archived