Comb Filtering?....

• Members

I don't know of a spec you can look up. You can measure it.

The other thing to point out is that in your example ... side by sdie speakers ... the most comb filtering effect is in the horizontal plane but the vertical probably remains as unaffected as it can be. So this would be a proper setup if projecting to balconies was concerned.

Here's another reason that a single speaker solution is often better than adding boxes together.

• Members

Another point about comb filtering that hasn't been covered (although it's been touched upon) is that in an environment with a lot of hard surfaces, sometimes the phase problems from reflections can be worse than those from L&R speakers combining.

In an acousticly perfect environment (we all work in those every day right? :>) there will still always only be one sweet spot. Just as long as the rest isn't sour, be happy. A 10Khz half wave is just over 1/2" so if you move your head a few inches one way or another what happens? Think about it.

In the end, if it sounds good, it is good :>)

• Members

What would be better when using 2-90 degree boxes, side by side or one stacked on top of the other with the top box upside down so that the horns would be closer together? The reason I ask is that I often do a band that has a keyboard player with a good amount of talent (great fella to work with) I run a dual mono setup and when I do pan him to 10 and 2 oclock, the stack seems to carry the effects that he uses (B3 emulator) much better. I always wonder if its just my old ears. Its even more noticeable outside. My boxes are 70 degree,

Archived