I've said thise before: HYPE never helps, it only hurts.

• Members

In the last 12+ years of playing in and observing both cover and original bands on the regional scene you tend to know the bands that can back up exactly what they dish out. They usually have core lineups, good musicians, great stage presence, that create large draws. Sometimes smaller bands like to leap frog the work entailed to get noticed and build a strong following. In doing so they usually spread tons of hype, whether it's how they market the band to club goers or in the way they sell the band to club owners.

For the last 18 months there has been a band on my local scene that has rewritten the book on delivering 'hype'. I've described this band in previous threads; a C-list band building a small b-list following (through gimmicks, free giveaways etc) selling itself as A-list entertainment. I'm sure many of you have a particular band like this in their home market. They spam multiple times a day-whether it be emails, myspace bulletins, facebook events. They've invested in free giveaways such as T-shirts, key chains etc (you have to wonder what they make at the end of each gig). They have oversold themselves to bar owners based on a beer sponsorship they earned by giving away free beer at their shows. All of these 'gimmick's' have been significant financial investments on their part. I do have to hand it to them, they have formed somewhat of a following (if you could call 25-30 people, over 40 bikers and hot rodders)and have forced my band to rethink it's local marketing strategy for 2010.

There have been many times I've had the urge to call them out on some of the ridiculous claims they promote in daily event bulletins... such as "they are the BEST party band in the area.... they have the "HOTTEST crowd that follows them", how they "PACK" every room... even though most are gin mills and c-level corner bars. You know, foolish stuff. But sometimes it's better to sit back and just let nature take it's course.

Until a year ago we didn't really cross paths with this band much, but in the past year due to some aggressive marketing on their part they have been building a foothold in some of the bigger rooms in the area. Of course after the second or third gig they are dropped from the roster. I recently heard what the are pitching.... they were 'exactly like

• CMS Author

It is in most forums but sorry anyway...

No need to apologize. The main point is simply to be polite/respectful/friendly about things.

I have no problem at all with performance-related discussions here. There's considerable overlap between many forums, and there are people who don't hang in both forums. It's all good.

• Members

wheresgrant3, thanks for posting. I've seen a similar situation develop around my circuit. Anyway, there was enough mention of PA and lighting to make it OT for me.

Actually in reference to the post, sometimes I'm amazed at how audiences don't always respond to differing gear levels (ie. that bands lack of good sound and lights). Of course they sometimes do, but often I think audiences hear with their eyes, or in modern terms, with what they've read on facebook or twitter.

• Members

I the NW there is one idiviual who is soley responsible for bringing the value of bands down. I will not say who it is nor will I over a PM, it's not worth it. What this person has done though has basically formed many 3 and 4 pc bands (similar members) and doing the Tribute band thing, selling 3 different bands he's teamed up witha night for the price of 1. In C level rooms too, with massive spam and hype. To me it's someone who wants to play every weekend no matter the cost to anyone else. And not having a product really burns bridges with clubs who are gun shy about booking anyone else. I can't blame them either.

• Members

My guitarist is caught up in a hype band, against his will at this point.

He was asked to join by a band who told him they had a record deal with some label, and would be playing regular shows and therefore guitarist will be making regular money. he says cool, and signs a contract to commit him to the band for one year (march 08)

They had no record deal, or anything close, and are playing {censored}ty venues with 5 or 6 people there TOPS. All the while the singer keeps going on about how he expects the band to be signed to a major label in a few months. A "build it and they will come" mentality, maybe? He's a former professional wrestler, nice guy, but monumentally stupid.

After a year of going through maybe 6 or 7 rhythm guitarists, 4 drummers (not including me. I sat in with the band a few times, with no intentions on joining full time), a few really {censored}ty recording sessions in my garage, and a few fights and tantrums... they're nowhere closer to having a record deal than they were a year ago. The guitarist is quitting, and the current drummer might quit soon now too, because of all the bull{censored}. All the while the singer hypes the band as being the best {censored} around, and keeps talking about how he thinks they're going to be signed to a major label soon... man. the guy needs a reality check. even before all the bull{censored} though, their music sucks. I realize though that there are a ton of {censored}ty bands signed to major labels, but these guys just don't have anything worth investing in.

In the mean time, my other band (the band me and the guitarist play in) is being sponsored to go into a top-dollar studio and record an EP. We've also had offers from management and promotions companies, and never once did any sort of self-promotion other than "hey man, we've got a show this weekend, you wanna go?"

• Members

I thought this was closer to on-topic for me. As the bassist/PA member of the group, I am perhaps more engaged in all the off-stage activities of our group than other group members. The marketing end of what we do is every bit as important as what we play or how we sound.

I can appreciate occasional threads like this one. I suspect there are others like me here too (who work both ends of a mic cord).

Cheers!

:cool:

• Members

I was gonna google up a picture of Hans and Franz (of SNL fame) with the catch phrase WE'RE GOING TO PUMP YOU UP but that would have been overkill :cop::facepalm:

Seriously though, this is a valid performance based topic. It reminds me of a time when this guy went around sabotaging me, saying that I ripped off his style (I had never seen him perform prior to that, much less know what his "style" was). Eventually, his shortcomings and sneaky ways caught up to him and he was pretty much shunned from the circle of venues and promoters in that area. I'm sure his cocaine and ecstasy habit didn't help much either.

V.

• Members

I just shake my head when I see "premier", "best", "#1". I actually use the silliness in our own advertising. From our website:

A lot of bands profess to be "the premier party band" of their geographic location. We make no such claim. Instead, we'll let our past clients let you know their thoughts. Click HERE to read the comments in a separate window.

Archived