Recommend to me a decent DI box

• Members

I have a few Radial Pro48's that I really like, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the EWI active DI. I have a couple, and they work and sound great, and you can't beat the price. I only have the Radial boxes because I got a really good deal on them, I was actually planning on buying more EWI DI boxes at the time.

Excellent purchase, you'll be happy.

• Members

I think all of you might be surprised at the results of a side by side listening test between the EWI, Countryman and Radial. The differences are extremely minor and there is no clear cut winner... in fact any preferences would be personal and unlikely corrolate with another's personal preference.

• Members

I used an EWI active DI for the first time last night. Console was a MW3, bass was an American Jazz (I think). In both my (more accurate than most IMHO) headphones and the house (JBL PRX) it sounded better than 90% of the bass+DI combinations I've worked with. (The house sound was helped greatly by the lack of a bass rig and wedges - the band is on IEMs.)

• Members

I think all of you might be surprised at the results of a side by side listening test between the EWI, Countryman and Radial. The differences are extremely minor and there is no clear cut winner... in fact any preferences would be personal and unlikely corrolate with another's personal preference.

What about price difference?

• Members

I'm using a cheap Behringer 8 input rack mount DI. I use it between my keyboard mixer and my FOH board when gigging. My guitar player and bass player use it in our rehearsal space - forgoing individual amps and simply running their "pods" through it. It's the only piece of "B" gear in my inventory - but in all honesty, I can't complain. I've gotten my $79 worth of use out of it - and because it's screwed in place, don't have to worry about it getting misplaced like "little box" DI that I originally bought.

• Members

Samson should be cost-effective seeing as they are a US brand (made in China though). We use their active boxes (which have a battery compartment if you can't supply them with phantom power) and they come in mono and stereo versions with ground lift, 20db pad and tele jack link for when you want to use them between instrument and amp.

• Members

They sound good too of course! For the record we use them to lift passive miked acoustic guitars, keyboards, bass guitar etc etc into a Yamaha M7CL or o1v96 with PA sound D&B Qi line array. We've had guest bands who use valve equipped DI boxes and they are nice but definitely law of diminishing returns (ie we'd buy them if we had the budget but we don'!!).

Archived