Matchless Independance VS Friedman Dirty Shirley 40 watt

Marco1994

• Members

Hi guys, lately i have been surfing with the idea of downsizing my rig. I am playing a Mesa Boogie Roadking 2 and now have my eyes on these 2 specific model. The ultimate goal is wanting a rig thats flexible, cover lots of ground but in the end i would like it refine and Marshallesque on the gain side. A head pair with its matching 2x12 cab is what i will be looking into. In this case, who win? 

• Members

Both are great amps. The Matchless is a 3 channel amp running EL 34's the Dirty Shirley is a single channel amp running 5881 

I think less is more much of the time.

The only band I have ever seen running Friedman amps was Charlie Starr of Blackberry Smoke. His tones were heavenly rock and roll.

The only amp I have seem blow up on stage was owned by Ken  Bethea  of the band Old 97. They replaced that Matchless C30 with a Mesa Maverick. The Maverick is nothing like the Matchless, and sound more like a brown Fender.

My fancy pants tone amp is a Dr Z Maz 18 1x12 combo with reverb and the EQ bypass mod.

The thing with single channel amps is you can muss em up with OD pedals. You start messing around with a 3 channel amp with more od pedals and you'l good nuts. It might be check in time.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived