Instrument cables: TS Mono or TRS Stereo?

• Members

• Members

TS and here the best bang for the buck cables out there IMO.
http://www.audiopile.net/products/Mic_Instr_Cables/UCGP-TW/UCGP-TW_Series.shtml

A lot folks here will validate my suggestion.

audioplie.net is the place to shop! High quality products, great prices and fast friendly service! You won't be sorry. Audiopile.net .... making professionals just that much more professional. :thu::thu::thu:

• Members

Those are 16-ga TRS. Who makes this stuff?

I love the sales pitch:

"Balanced audio cables utilize impedance balanced lines that reduce EM and RF noise and extend the effective range of the cable run. Additionally, unlike standard unbalanced RCA interconnects that utilizes their braid as a signal return, balanced cables have a separate braided shield to provide additional resistance to interference without modulating the interference into the signal. This prevents ground loop issues."

• Members

16GA is overkill. Just to let you know, I would utilize a TRS to run my Ric in Stereo. As a matter of fact I am looking for a long enough TRS cable just for that purpose. Any suggestions?

• Members

Is there a drawback when using TRS Stereo Patch cables for instruments or are they just not needed?

If the output jack of the instrument and the input jack of the amp are TS jacks then the R in the TRS is simply not used. If the instrument is an active guitar/bass/etc.... then many times it uses a TRS jack as a switch. By that I mean the battery circuit runs to the R of the TRS. When you insert a standard TS cable into the jack it completes the circuit between the R and the S, activating the on-board electronics. If you use a TRS cable then the circuit would remain open and the guitar/bass/etc... would not work.

• Members

Is there a drawback when using TRS Stereo Patch cables for instruments or are they just not needed?

Technically speaking (without getting in too deep):

Good quality hi-z TS instrument cables are specifically designed and manufactured for unbalanced hi-z applications... the cable is a co-axial style consisting of a single stranded conductor at the center of the cable and a tightly woven braided outer shield... with special attention given to the insulation & possibly a thin layer of conductive PVC between the outer braid shield and the center conductor. Also, with good quality hi-z instrument cables, special consideration is give to the outer jacket of the cable as generally the cable will need to be extremely durable yet remain very flexible and tangle free.

Good quality stereo TRS patch cables are designed and manufactured with some differing criterion. Since stereo patch cables have two conductors (and a shield), by definition, the conductors can't be physically centered within the cross-section of the cable. Oftentimes the shield is of a spiral (serve) type rather than braided. Oftentimes the outer jacket is of a different type of material than what would be of choice with a hi-z instrument cable, since patch cables are... well... patch cables (not intended to see a lot of action on stage). Oftentimes the cordends are different on hi-z cable vs. stereo patch cables

• Members

"Balanced audio cables utilize impedance balanced lines that reduce EM and RF noise and extend the effective range of the cable run. Additionally, unlike standard unbalanced RCA interconnects that utilizes their braid as a signal return, balanced cables have a separate braided shield to provide additional resistance to interference without modulating the interference into the signal.
This prevents ground loop issues.
"

Biggest crock of crap I ever read. Just when the marketers can't get any stupider...

Archived