Corona Virus hygiene

KB Gunn

• Members

Corona Virus questions. After quarantine and isolation are lifted, what is a safe way to disinfect microphone pop filters and client headphones? Is there a disposable cover for cups of headphones that wouldn't alter the eq of the playback and the actual live take in a studio session? I thought of surgical hair bonnets for headphones but they would be too big even with the elastic. Something like that would also be nice to have when demoing headphones in a retail music store where other people with poor hygiene wear them. Think head lice.

• Members

Maybe some UV light.

Or alcohol in a spray bottle.

An sm 58 has  quite a bit of foam in the cover. you could unscrew that cover and lightly spray it.

The handle can be just wiped off with a disinfectant.

A virus needs to live on something. Like spit.

• Members

If you choose to use UV light, which would at least keep everything dry, be sure to get a UVC light.  Those black-lights I saved from the '60s are UVA and don't kill viruses.  You also need to be careful with UVC, you need to wear appropriate eye protection when using it.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
  • Members

FWIW: When the pandemic hit around here (Massachusetts, USA) I contacted the local school district's head nurse and asked her advise on how to sterilize foam windscreens.  Her advise: wash with hot water / anti-bacterial soap, & air dry.

I purchased a dozen windscreens, did the above, & wrapped them in plastic sandwich bags.

On sound-provider gigs I let each vocalist pick their own.