Hard times for the musical instrument industry...

webe123

• Members

Gibson just announced it will be closing  .https://www.guitarworld.com/news/gibson-temporarily-closes-us-operations-to-help-fight-coronavirus

PRS is closing is Stephensville plant  https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/due-to-th-coronavirus-prs-is-closed-until-further-notice.42759/

I looked on the official Fender guitar page, but suprisingly no mention of a closing of their plant in Carona, California. But maybe they just did not put this on their main page? I say this because the entire state of California is supposed to be on lockdown.

Then there are other manufacturers like Taylor, Ibanez,etc. .not to mention other musical instrument manufacturers like DW drums

Looks like hard times for the musical instrument factories...

I was just about to update the HC News - I got the press release about Gibson this morning. I haven't heard anything about Taylor or Fender, but as you noted, California is on lockdown except for essential workers and for regular folks to go out to get groceries and medicine as needed, so I don't see how either one could continue normal operations either. :idk: 

Still, there's probably plenty of stock in some of the various dealers around the country, and many of them allow you to purchase online, so if you have the available resources, please consider supporting the industry and buying something from one of them. :idea: :wave:

• Members

Musical instrument manufacturing or any other manufacturing companies are non essential folks need to lay low and stay home.

They are closing all non essential stuff here in MA , as of tomorrow at noon. It's a smart move.

I give a lot of credit to the medical workers that are  putting there health everyday on the line to fight this and keep people alive.

This is nothing to mess with.

Monthly bills will come every month, and can wait, if you don't have the money. If you get sick and die the bills will wait even longer. 

I believe that things are gonna get worse before they get better.  Could be weeks, could be months. Nobody knows

Don't watch the news all day, it will only make you depressed. 

The reality of it all is you will be spending a lot of time with you family.  We have the net, cell phones to keep in touch for folks. My wife talks to her 93 year old mom everyday, sometimes twice a day. When is the last time you grabbed a board game from up in the attic and spent and evening, chatting and playing a game.

Back when I was a kid my grand parents came over on Sunday nights. My brother and I, along with my Gramp, would play cribbage till it was time for dinner.  ( 3 trk board) Some of the best memories I have. I still have the cribbage board, I hope I still have a deck of cards. 

Back in the summer of 2018, I spent 10 days in a day program at the hospital working on stress reduction. It was a great program for me, some folks were a real mess. You live one day at a time, and do something every day you enjoy.  One of the counselors was Arlo Guthrie's tour manager. She was a patient years before. She said after entering the program, she cleaned off her kitchen table for the first time in 30 years. 

If you have a musical instrument, play it and play it some more, learn a couple of new tunes, write a song.  Make dinner as a family, clean up the cellar. 

I take my dog out to a soccer field where there is nobody and we fetch tennis ball for an hour. 

All in a all just stay healthy.

In the flu epidemic of 1918, the people that did the best and didn't get sick, were the ones that isolated themselves.

It's a  different world right now.

Besides typing this out, I'm was sitting on the couch with my puppy watching it snow. Me the puppy Luka will treasure this time together for many years to come. He's a real sweetie at night.

• Members

Mikeo  NOBODY is saying otherwise! I do understand that a lot of factories are closing not just musical....but those would not  fit into a discussion about musical instruments now would it? What I posted DID! (trying to keep on topic here) I simply made a post about music factories closing. And by the way, those people have families and are no less important than any other factory closing.  They have bills to pay also. And I was a teenager in the 1970's before there WAS an internet. So I think I can think of things to do without your input! Thanks!

• Members
10 hours ago, webe123 said:

Mikeo  NOBODY is saying otherwise! I do understand that a lot of factories are closing not just musical....but those would not  fit into a discussion about musical instruments now would it? What I posted DID! (trying to keep on topic here) I simply made a post about music factories closing. And by the way, those people have families and are no less important than any other factory closing.  They have bills to pay also. And I was a teenager in the 1970's before there WAS an internet. So I think I can think of things to do without your input! Thanks!

:wave:

Archived