Moving sucks.

• Members

For the last two weeks, we've been packing up our 6000 foot warehouse and moving it to a smaller facility. I'm tired of packing cardboard boxes. I'm tired of loading trailers. I'm tired of unloading trailers. I'm tired of breaking down shelving. I'm tired or setting up shelving. Oh, and I'm just tired.

We've also had six major events to cover during this time.

It will be over next Wednesday.

Rant over. I'm too tired to type.

• Members

Bill, I went through exactly the same thing last year and it sucked the chrome off a trailer hitch. After 25 years I moved out of a 3000+ sq ft warehouse into one less than 2000 sq ft and we had to purge a lot of stuff in that move. Some local HC-ers picked up some screaming deals and I wish I did more of it. Sort and purge BEFORE moving. Dedicate adequate time.

The big ket to our succesful move was setting up the entire shop's shelving units and along 1 wall we went from 8' to 12' tall shelve which picked up some effective shop size. In the end, it was good and we are more streamlined because of it. Way more efficient and comfortable to work in now.

• Members

Bill, I also did the same thing 2 years ago. Faced with a loss over 60 grand on a job gone bad and a rent increase, I downsized. I had a beautiful office with a music studio set up plus about 1500 sq ft warehouse area.

I'm now in a utility room in the building next dooor, 8' X 12' and my stuff is jammed into a garage. Emotionally, it was horrible on my self confidence. My office now sucks, the paint is peeling off the walls and I never hung my diplomas and certification documents. It's about time I come to terms with the fact that it's my new home and at least spruce it up some. Enough of my hell.

Good luck to you, less overhead equals less stress, that I can assure you.

• Members

Emotionally, it was horrible on my self confidence. My office now sucks, the paint is peeling off the walls and I never hung my diplomas and certification documents. It's about time I come to terms with the fact that it's my new home and at least spruce it up some. Enough of my hell.

16 years ago Liz and I purchased a small (really small) house and a small shop onna 1 acre lot on the edge of a small (really small) town... kind-of out in the middle of nowhere. The place suited our purposes just fine at the time since we were living and working on the road 200+ days a year and just needed a home base where we could get our mail (every week or two), and keep our stuff that didn't need to have with us when we were working out (like book keeping archive records and off-season clothes)... and it was cheap (really cheap). We never intended to settle here.

I have a large collection (a couple hundred) license plates from all over the US that I've gathered over the years... many dating back into the '20's and '30's. I've always figured on hanging them on the wall of my shop when we've settled into a place we'd call "home". The license plates are still stored in boxes. Seeings as how we've been here for 16 years, and built a 9,000 sq. ft. warehouse addition to the shop, and landscaped the place, and, and, and... I guess one of these days "It's about time I come to terms with the fact that it's my new home" and hang my license plates on the wall. :facepalm:

Besides... at 54, I'm feeling too old to move again... maybe it's the age, maybe it's the milage, and maybe it's the fact that I've put a few thousand hours into this place getting it close to being "right"... and I don't want to go through that again... and maybe it's just the fact that moving really sucks and I know that all too well to intentially put myself through all that goes with moving and setting up a shop & warehouse facility again.

Wherever you are... well... there you are.

• CMS Author

Your rules:

"Manufacturers, Retailers and Sales reps are NOT allowed to advertise under any circumstances"

:p

1. They are not my rules, they're HC's.

2. Look at Bill's signature. If I follow the letter of the rule, it all goes.

3. As far as I know, Harmony Central still has an ad department and still welcomes actual *paid* ads.

4. Bill has gone 'round with moderators and admins on numerous occasions regarding this. So it's more than a little hypocritical to have been asked to follow the rules (that you, I, and most everyone else follows), then not follow the rules, then tell ya'all how you missed out because of the rules. All in a post that's got your corporate signature file with a link to your commercial website.

Have I missed something?

• Members

I've got one more move to do in about 2 years. The plan is to take the next two years and spruce up the house and grounds then put it on the market. We're going to buy around 10 acres inland and build a smaller house since the kids are gone and a nice 2400 sq.ft. shop for me. Best of all, we'll be debt and mortage free with bucks in the bank.

• Members

Best of all, we'll be *debt and mortage free with bucks in the bank.*

Be careful what you wish for.

Concerning being debt and mortgage free with bucks in the bank: if my experience on that subject is any indication, forget about securing a line of credit if you could put it to good use but don't really NEED it, or getting a charge card, or a home improvement loan, or anything credit related cause your credit rating will be in the toilet.

I think they really hate *that* type.

• Members

We'll keep a credit card just for giggles/emergencies.

That's what we thought too. Actually, we pay for all business expenses with either a business credit card or company checks... but besides that: Maybe it was just coincidence, or maybe not... but shortly after we burned the final mortgage and paid off & didn't renew our revolving line of credit, and paid off the last credit card... we received notice from our business credit card company (that we'd had an account with in good standing for over 10 years) that they had cancelled our credit card.

With 20/20 hindsight, rather than pushing to be technically debt free, I suggest maintaining some debt (a mortgage or line of credit) until you've accumulated enough money in the bank pay off all debt and comfortably fund your own line of credit (if you intend to continue to operate a business)... as debt seems to be a much higher regarded credit rating asset than having free & clear assets and money in the bank.

• Members

"Manufacturers, Retailers and Sales reps are NOT allowed to advertise under any circumstances"

:p

I'm wondering if our moderator or the HC higher-ups could offer an addendum (or clarification) to this, since I believe I understand their spirit of the rule, but as worded, it does seem a little... well... assumptive.

I'd think it would be fine for an person on *that* side of the counter (manufacture, retailer, sales rep) to advertise something that's not their stock in trade. Say, for-instance, that I have a small business. Let's say my business manufactures a specialty line of instrument stands, and my business also stocks and sells a wide selection of name brand mic, speaker, lighting, and instrument stands. Let's say I own a Wells Cargo trailer that I use to transport my business

• Members

I think some common sense is in order... regular advertising of retail products should be discouraged but advertising of unusual or surplus items, especially form companies that have a large and diverse inventory of specialty type products is not a bad idea because it gives members an opportunity to buy things that may otherwise not be available locally or do not come on the market often.

I always try to give forumites the first shot at the unusual stuff I have that's become surplus, and some of you guys have gotten screaming deals on things that just don't come on the market very often. That would be a loss to the forum in general, especially as it relates to parts and fabricated assemblies. Heck, I've even given some stuff away, as has Mark. I don't know Bill's history with HC moderators and admin, but I would expect that he has some "cool {censored}" that might serve some of the forumites well?

• Members

I think some common sense is in order... regular advertising of retail products should be discouraged but advertising of unusual or surplus items, especially form companies that have a large and diverse inventory of specialty type products is not a bad idea because it gives members an opportunity to buy things that may otherwise not be available locally or do not come on the market often.

I always try to give forumites the first shot at the unusual stuff I have that's become surplus, and some of you guys have gotten screaming deals on things that just don't come on the market very often. That would be a loss to the forum in general, especially as it relates to parts and fabricated assemblies. Heck, I've even given some stuff away, as has Mark. I don't know Bill's history with HC moderators and admin, but I would expect that he has some "cool {censored}" that might serve some of the forumites well?

Agreed...

And the subtle hints of "I have a few of those looking for a new home" is the perfect way of going about it. It's not advertisement - its a statement of fact. ;)

• Members

Be careful what you wish for.

Concerning being debt and mortgage free with bucks in the bank: if my experience on that subject is any indication, forget about securing a line of credit if you could put it to good use but don't really NEED it, or getting a charge card, or a home improvement loan, or anything credit related cause your credit rating will be in the toilet.

I think they really hate *that* type.

I have heard this before and admit I don't know enough about it. Recently, I've been listening to Dave Ramsey and he says that if you have not used credit within a few years, your rating will basically be zero. From what I can gather, this is not necessarily a "bad" thing, although some lenders choose to lead unwitting consumers astray, and that actually you can use it to your advantage, should you actually need big-time capital.

I've got a mortgage on my house that I am furiously trying to pay off and I've got an interest rate locked in. It just makes sense that if I can pay off my house in less than half the time and invest, I'm wayyyy ahead.

Anyway...any banking/accountant types on here?

Archived