Live Show Last Night - Under Snare Mic?

• Members

When you do this do you have to reverse the phase... or polarity... or what? Or do you do nothing to achieve some sort of effect?

Also, he was running ONLY the HPR153is with no subs and I was really surprised at the great sound he got out of the kick (which had no port by the way).

• Members
When you do this do you have to reverse the phase... or polarity... or what? Or do you do nothing to achieve some sort of effect?

When combined with a top mike you usually reverse the phase of the bottom one.

Also, he was running ONLY the HPR153is with no subs and I was really surprised at the great sound he got out of the kick (which had no port by the way).

What mic(s) and placement were used for the kick?

• Members

He only had a mic on the bottom of the snare, so I'm guessing he didn't need to do anything then.

The kick drum mic looked like a AKG D 112, but I couldn't say for sure. He had it about 3 inches back from the kick about 3 inches right of center, and those HPRs were doing well for him.

• Members
The kick drum mic looked like a AKG D 112, but I couldn't say for sure. He had it about 3 inches back from the kick about 3 inches right of center, and those HPRs were doing well for him.

Interesting - are you sure there wasn't another mic on the beater side?

• Members

D112 and sounds good in the same sentence?

:thu:

i had a D112 in my back seat just laying out in the open during an event. after the event was over i came out to find someone had smashed the window of my car, and placed another D112 in my backseat. - Coaster

• Members
Oooh, I can't say that for sure. I've never seen that done before! Wouldn't you get a lot of the click doing that?

You blend the two mics together to taste - again with one phase reversed like the snare mics. Personally I've always mic'd the batter side out towards the edge if there is no hole and I only had one mic (or more likely am being lazy ;)).

• Members

I'm in a battle of the bands where the finals were supposed to happen at The Crest.

Empty promises. They'll be at The Sandbar and The Fire Escape.

Fire Escape has decent sound, but The Sandbar is awful.

• Members

D112 and sounds good in the same sentence?

I don't personaly mind the D112 in some circumstances but....... Due to it's bottom heavy/top light response, it only sounds good when it's inside RIGHT NEXT TO THE BEATER to give a lot more attack. What amazes me is that it sounded good placed where he said it was. That IS amazing!

• Members

Marilyn's does use a D112 on kick. I'd say its definitely the most common kick mic on the club level.

They do use "subs', In the sense that he has a couple of Old huge Peavey BW Dual 15's that he only uses the low biamp in on. Monitors are JRX, and each stage position is double boxed. They've got one of those massive old square Peavey 18x10x1 (or whatever) as a drum fill. Board is a Mackie SR24 and processing is mixed batch of Alesis and lower end stuff. Sound is about as you would expect for that cobbled together setup, bad to ok depending on how its run on a given night.

Building acoustics are actually pretty good as it's a decent-sized and odd shaped room.

Wednesday nights are completely dependent on band draw there, otherwise empty.

• Members

I do think if one is to mic the kick without subs, a D112 might be as good as it gets. It's got a lot of low-mid whomp that would probably produce some amount of lowish sounds through a set of full-range.

Under snare mic placement can be fine. In a smaller setting you're not really trying to amplify the snare so much as accentuate some of the smack.

• Members

I'm sure not. Doesn't surprise me though. These BOTB contests are just a crappy way for venues and production companies to make some quick money without paying the bands invovled. So why not make false promises about playing at a cool place like the Crest?

• Members

Under snare mic placement can be fine. In a smaller setting you're not really trying to amplify the snare so much as accentuate some of the smack.

I might have to give this a shot at Main St Brewery in Roseville then.

Archived