Live Show Last Night - Under Snare Mic?

• Members

I'm sure not. Doesn't surprise me though. These BOTB contests are just a crappy way for venues and production companies to make some quick money without paying the bands invovled. So why not make false promises about playing at a cool place like the Crest?

Sure as hell isn't a way for a venue to make quick money. They take a lot of work to pull them off well and I can tell you from experience it's very labor intensive for all departments.

• Members

Sure as hell isn't a way for a venue to make quick money. They take a lot of work to pull them off well and I can tell you from experience it's very labor intensive for all departments.

Well I guess it depends on the venue and production.

My experience in these crappy things has been...

Bands sign up.

Bands beg everyone they know to come vote for them.

Each band brings maybe 20 people.

20x5 bands = 100 paying the cover = $800-$1000, PLUS the bar.

Bands don't get paid.

This continues on friday and saturday for 8 weeks.

Bands pull in a total of 12k-16k over this period.

First place band gets 2k-3k

Second gets $500

Third gets $250 or nada.

For crappy venues that see 20 people a night on average, it works.

Thats been my experience anyway.

This will be our last battle.

• Members

Aged, I could see that at the Crest for sure... but... have you been to the SandBar lately?

They had 3 boxes of two 15's as subs, where any of them thumping? No, Two of them were clicking, and I'm pretty sure the sound guy was blowing out all the overheads with low frequencies...

Something tells me he wasn't making all that much.

But I do see what you're saying, at most places around town its probably a money pit. C'est la vie.

• Members

This highlights why there are differences between the higher quality equipment and the experience level at venues like mine and JR's, and why some of us harp on quality and reliability.

When you have a venue full of 1000 patrons paying $40/ticket to see a show, you have a great incentive to have the highest possible reliability. Just think about the potential liability with regards to who would be responsible in the event of a failure. It's totally different than the small bar/club scene.

• Members

Absolutely, I can't wait til we're at the point to play at a place like yours. We do our best, but sometimes our best is tarnished by a bass player who is freelancing as a soundtech. (if he even deserves that title).

Archived