Home built quad that meets code.

• Members

Some years ago OSHA came through here and made us get rid of all of our home built quad boxes (surface mount handy box 4 sq with a romex clamp for strain relief). I can understand the romex clamps and knockouts not passing code but the cost of UL listed molded boxes is insane. We have a bunch of pre-made quad boxes with 6' pigtails and a 15A breaker/switch. They pretty much suck. I understand that a lot of what is considered code is local but what would be a good alternative that I can built (I.E. strain reliefs, boxes, etc...). Does anyone make a good compression strain relief that won't loosen up over time? I'd like to use SJO 14/3 as most of the runs are well under 50' (most are like 20' - 25') and rarely pull more than a few amps and SJO is much less of a trip hazzard and easier to store than SO.

• Members

Depending on the local authority, you may not be able to use SJO.

Outdoor type boxes (with the screw in plugs), weathertite covers and weathertite cord grips (when using SO cord not SJ) pass here. The components are available at Home Depot.

I've been switching to these:

http://www.mcmaster.com

McMaster Carr PN: 1831K31

I have 2 right now, I've only been inspected once since I started using them an they passed.

• Members

• Members

Yellow sucks on stage. I like these a lot.

5fr8yw.jpg

Molded rubber, just about indestructable and three grip ranges available. It can also be molded for feed through capabilities. Not really cheap, but if you'd like to buy a quad box that will give you twenty or thirty years of service, they deserve consideration.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Yellow sucks on stage. I like these a lot.

5fr8yw.jpg

Molded rubber, just about indestructable and three grip ranges available. It can also be molded for feed through capabilities. Not really cheap, but if you'd like to buy a quad box that will give you twenty or thirty years of service, they deserve consideration.

Got a Manufacturer name for these?

• Members

Watch out for shipping costs.

Yeah...and watch out for the phony "handling charge" of $2 per unit. There is no such thing as a "handling charge." It's simply a way for a merchant to artificially inflate the selling price of a product.

• Members

For my education, why use a quad box vs. one of these?

http://www.homedepot.com/Belkin/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xg4Z8o/R-100663223/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

68eb0f99-fb51-49f5-a866-2f53c29c5dd8_400

Here is a users feedback -

"We have had 4 of these quit at work. Opening the unit up (drilling out the rivets), you'll find a 15 amp fuse in series with a 15 amp circuit breaker.

Guess which one goes first, That's right the soldered in fuse not the circuit breaker. It is wired with #14 wire so 15 amps is right at the edge of the wiring. Plus it uses the push in connection on the outlets so continous loads heat up the socket.

This would be a non starter for me.

• Members

its too bad those are built so poor. they do look neat, i saw them at HD but ultimately passed for what i was doing. from the description they sound like garbage.

the small glimmer of hope i have that someday quality will be a mainstream value again is quietly crying and slowing suffocating under the weight of chinese junk, political and monetary tyranny and my lost faith in mankind as a whole. at some point i believed people were mostly good. i dont believe this anymore.

• Members

Within racks is different than general power on stage. In a rack, properly mounted, that power strip (provided it's listed as a portable power tap) should be fine in most (but not all) jurisdictions. New York, Chicago and L.A. have different and more strict local codes that may or may not apply depending on the AHJ's mood and your attitude.

• Members

I don't like on/off switches on power strips. Some of them change position so easily that a cord dragged over the switch can turn it off. Half my power strips also have gaff over certain outlets that have failed. I've gotta get a good stage stringer and some decent quads.

Archived