Ovation Adamas serial number

Lildrumboy

• Members

I've recently purchased an Ovation Adamas Model #1687-8 Serial #277-93. I know it was manufactured in June 1978 as it's signed by Charles Kamen. My question is, What does the "93" stand for in the serial number? I've search their website and have nothing on an added suffix #.

Any ideas?   Thanks!  

• Members

I wouldn't conclude it was actually produced on the date Kamen signed the label. I wouldn't even conclude that he signed the label on the date recorded on it. "Yo, Chuck, can you manage to be here every day so we can get your signature and date for every guitar we produce each (freaking) day?" I don't think ol' Chuck was given to flying an office chair waiting for labels. He probably just signed and dated a bunch of them, or signed them and then someone else affixed the dates after. His job was on the golf course, no doubt, where important people conduct important business.

Let's guess: the 277 might be the Julian date (day number 277), which falls in the month of October (10-4-1978) your guitar was completed on. Number 93 could represent the 93rd guitar produced between 10/1/1978 and 10/4/1978, including all models or just the Adamas 1687-8, leaving yours #93 produced on day 277 (10/4/1978).  Our good buddy Chuck signed and dated a bunch of labels in June and the shop just used them up without a care to what the date was on the label.

Or, it could be a batch number and yours was #93 injection molded bowl of the #277 polymer batch mixed for the year 1978. 

Or, it could be an astronomical fix of coordinates for the position of the USS Enterprise on that day.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It's impossible to give you any estimate of what it's worth without at least some good quality pictures of the guitar, as well as an accurate description of its condition. Beyond that, you can always do completed auction comparisons on Ebay and Reverb to see what other Adamas guitars of that model have sold for. 

I have no idea how Ovation / Adamas serial numbers or dating works, but according to this site, it looks like your Adamas was probably made in 1981, which would make it a Series 1 Adamas. Scroll down to the bottom for the serial number info on the Adamas guitars. 

According to other info on that same page, the model number indicates that your Adamas is an acoustic-electric roundback that has has a 6 1/6" deep bowl, and the -8 at the end of the model number indicates the color, which is blue, as you said. 

• 1 year later...