Push-pull pots?

SteinbergerHack

• Members

Question:

I have an '80s superstrat in HSH configuration with three push-pull pots, (1) volume, (2) tone.  All three are DPDT, the switches are (IIRC) coil-tap, phase, and center p/u enable.

I need to replace the volume pot, and I'm not sure where to go for a direct replacement.  Any ideas for source, and/or a spec or part number?  I love this guitar, but the erratic volume pot has reached the point that I can't gig with it until it's fixed.

What's the exact make / model of the guitar? If it's a Fender, they may have an actual parts list available for it, and you can check that way. 

Do you know if it is a 250 or 500k pot? Smooth shaft or splined? Short shaft or long? On a Strat, I'd guess short, and I'd guess 500k on a HSH, but it should be easy enough to pop off a knob and the pickguard to check the shaft, impedance and length / configuration of the pot. 

The 500k short-shafts here might work for you... 

https://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Electronics/Components_and_Parts/Potentiometers/Alpha_Push-pull_Pots.html

5 minutes ago, SteinbergerHack said:

500k, splined, likely a long shaft because it's rear-mount (similar to a Les Paul routing).  The link looks like it will get me there - thanks!

Aaah, I didn't consider the possibility that it might have the controls rear-mounted. :o You're right - that would probably require a long shaft... but I'd still recommend that you pull the volume pot and check to be sure. Either way, StewMac has you covered. Again, I can't imagine they'd use a 250k volume pot in a HSH guitar, so the fact that they don't offer a long shaft 250k push/pull shouldn't be an issue for you. 

Archived