FX through mons question...

• Members

Just return the FX unit to one of the stereo channel strips instead of a stereo aux return and you can send FX to the monitors - that's how the big boys do it :cool:.

EDIT> Oops - "dennis a" beat me to it :).

EDIT> Make ABSOLUTELY SURE you don't turn up the aux send on that stereo channel that feeds the fx unit - you will get the worst feedback you EVER heard and most likely blow out all your HF drivers and maybe your LF drivers too :eek:.

• Members

The simple answer is "don't ever send FX to the monitors" as it almost always results in dramatically lower gain before feedback thresholds.

So give your people a choice, loud monitors or FX in the monitors. Because you cannot have it both ways. No sir.

• Members

So give your people a choice, loud monitors or FX in the monitors. Because you cannot have it both ways. No sir.

So I am guessing if that is the answer that you give the singer of the national act you are doing monitors for when he asks for FX in his mix, you will abruptly find yourself on a Grayhound headed back to MO.

• Members

So I am guessing if that is the answer that you give the singer of the national act you are doing monitors for when he asks for FX in his mix, you will abruptly find yourself on a Grayhound headed back to MO.

I

• Members

One system I've helped put together has 8 monitors on 4 feeds with 6 vocal mics and in an untreated two car garage has no real issues with getting plenty loud with some fx in them. But they are under 105dBa stage volume - plenty of bands seen to run 115dBa or so on the stage and that's just stoopid :freak:.

• Members

Firstly, it is a HUGE assumption that I have or ever will do sound for a national act. The biggest I have done for so far have been Bill "the Sauce Boss" Wharton and Mac McAnally (who performed solo for a local Parrot Head Charity Event). So that hasn't been a big concern.

If we ever do sound for a large national touring act, that would involve more than just me and Jerry setting up and running both monitor and mains from FOH. It would involve a huge system, with a splitter snake and a FOH position and a Monitor World position. And in that context, if the act wants FX, give them FX. But for small local bands, many running sound from stage, putting FX in the monitors is a recipe for disaster. Even when we do sound for them, we generally say "it can't be done" because it creates too many problems.

• Members

Of course... this bring up another point... a question actually. Do the big shows use a separate effects processor for each channel? Or do they use only dedicated processors for certain people?

I mean, we have one reverb unit and one delay unit, and everything that needs those effects gets run through those two units. But do the big shows split them between several units?

Archived