Microphone for Harmonica

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • CMS Author

...what was basically a pretty {censored}ty mic even when they were new...

It wasn't a "{censored}ty" mic. When introduced in 1949 it was a high quality mic that was very well suited for its intended use...speech. It was used as a dispatcher's mic, store PA mic, and miliatary and ham radio mic.

• Members

It wasn't a "{censored}ty" mic. When introduced in 1949 it was a high quality mic that was very well suited for its intended use...speech. It was used as a dispatcher's mic, store PA mic, and miliatary and ham radio mic.

Yea I read up on them.... Then they prime the pump with the fact that the harp is in the same range as the human voice. We had a harp player show up with an old silver tone tube amp and a bullet mic ,,, he was all gonzo on what a great rig it was. geesh ,, I am old enough to know those old silvertone amps were the ones we used tell guys who showed up at auditions to come back when you have an amp.

• Members

Actually, that reminds me Craig..a possible mic source for the Op would be a "Hamfest" held by amateur radio enthusiasts in many citys. Be careful to somehow find one that is still working as crystal mic elements are more fragile than dynamic ones.

• Members

Maybe this would be a helpful observation:

the point of using a bullet mic is that you can easily put it into a tube amp and distort the signal,

and

if you aren't doing that, there is little point in using anything other than something like a 58.

If you want a distorted blues harp sound, though, you really are better off with somethign that you can plug into a low wattage tube amp, such as the Shure bullet thing.

And you are best off with a low-wattage amp that you can distort and then mic up, like an Oahu, Alamo, Silvertone, Selmer, Champ, etc.

I've worked with some really enjoyable pro harp players, and the above observation is pretty standard. You can poo-poo the bullet into a low wattage tube amp all you want, but it really is -the- way to do a distorted blues harp.

• Members

that is essentially what i do with the vocal mic to digitech pedal into the valve junior. Basically using the pedal to bump the signal and overdrive the preamp stage. The vintage speaker takes care of the rest. Clean sounds still on tap by hitting pedal bypass.

It's also becoming more common for larger harp specific amps and custom mics to show up on stage but I prefer the tone of the overdriven small amp.

• Members

Maybe this would be a helpful observation:

the point of using a bullet mic is that you can easily put it into a tube amp and distort the signal,

and

if you aren't doing that, there is little point in using anything other than something like a 58.

If you want a distorted blues harp sound, though, you really are better off with somethign that you can plug into a low wattage tube amp, such as the Shure bullet thing.

And you are best off with a low-wattage amp that you can distort and then mic up, like an Oahu, Alamo, Silvertone, Selmer, Champ, etc.

I've worked with some really enjoyable pro harp players, and the above observation is pretty standard. You can poo-poo the bullet into a low wattage tube amp all you want, but it really is -the- way to do a distorted blues harp.

Yup over drive harp is best achieved by taking a not so great mine then running a little amp on the dime. Guys that are into clean tend to be alot more adaptable to different styles... the dirt guys tend to be stuck in the blues rut.

• Members

There is a tremendous range of tones available with ANY mic used with a harmonica. The tightness of the cup, the proximity of the harp to the element, the position of your jaw, even the model of harp itself, all play a role in getting a deep saxophone-like "dirty" tone. However, there are some types of "gritty" (my term) tones where you just need a vintage element or it will fall a little shy of what you want. Even good amp simulation like the digitech can't quite do it exactly. I have settled on what gives me a wide variety of tones at a low outlay using existing guitar gear.

• CMS Author

Yup over drive harp is best achieved by taking a not so great mine then running a little amp on the dime. Guys that are into clean tend to be alot more adaptable to different styles... the dirt guys tend to be stuck in the blues rut.

So basically you'd rather eat a dick than say anything remotely positive about the mic, the musicians that use it, or the amps that they use. Why you've got such a raging hard-on for a harp mic is something I really don't know, and probably don't want to know. But the reality remains, that the 520 and variants have been, are, and probably will continue to be the go-to harp mic. Hopefully you can somehow manage to live with this tragedy.

• Members

So basically you'd rather eat a dick than say anything remotely positive about the mic, the musicians that use it, or the amps that they use. Why you've got such a raging hard-on for a harp mic is something I really don't know, and probably don't want to know. But the reality remains, that the 520 and variants have been, are, and probably will continue to be the go-to harp mic. Hopefully you can somehow manage to live with this tragedy.

:lol:

• Members

So basically you'd rather eat a dick than say anything remotely positive about the mic
, the musicians that use it, or the amps that they use. Why you've got such a raging hard-on for a harp mic is something I really don't know, and probably don't want to know. But the reality remains, that the 520 and variants have been, are, and probably will continue to be the go-to harp mic. Hopefully you can somehow manage to live with this tragedy.

I guess I just go with what I know ,, and no one I know goes to them. I know some pretty good harp players that play at quite a high level of ability on the instrument. I will say they may well be the go to mic for the chicago style of blue... but then that isnt what I consider a high level of skill on the instrument. Fair enough? As for your post ,, guy do you talk to your mother with that mouth? You need to clean up your act before I will take you serious. Get a little class .

• CMS Author

As for your post ,, guy do you talk to your mother with that mouth? You need to clean up your act before I will take you serious. Get a little class .

I'm addressing you at your level. You did post that guys with the 520 are tools, right? And that the 520 was a {censored}ty mic, correct?

Should I take you "serious"?

• Members

I know a few guys who use the 520 and these mics sound great for overamping (distortion) or clean right to the board. Really nice tone. Not sure about the Shure Bullets. I look at the 520's and I would love to get one just to have on hand for anhyone who plays harp and doesn't own a harpmic.

:blah::blah::blah:

• Members

Methinks Craigv is havin' a bad hair day
:p
- but I agree. I morn for anyone who doesn't have an ear for that sweet controlled chaos of the bullet -> tube amp sound. Stradivarius meets train wreck
:lol:

the bullet sounds like its under water ,,,, I view the thing as more marketing hype than anything. OH this is the one little walter used ,, oh swoon and get that check book out. :facepalm:

• Members

I guess I just go with what I know ,, and no one I know goes to them. I know some pretty good harp players that play at quite a high level of ability on the instrument. I will say they may well be the go to mic for the chicago style of blue... but then that isnt what I consider a high level of skill on the instrument. Fair enough?

ok, your opinion make sense now..

blues guys suck

melodic guys are good

:)

• Members

ok, your opinion make sense now..

blues guys suck

melodic guys are good

:)

In the pecking order of harp players ,, the guys who can play melody typically are alot better players ,,, Because they can also nail blues too and have alot more tricks in their bags. As far as the crowd and harp ,,, Pretty well all it takes to make them go nuts is to have the harp solos well on top of hte mix and the fills tucked in right in the mix so you can hear them. The whole chicaglo dirty tone deal is pretty well lost on them. Thats pretty much why the guys I play with that blow harp ,,just go with the SM58 through the board. Natural tone simple set up and both of them do some singing too. I figure they know what they are doing ,, both are pro level players.

• Members

Here's another perspective...I'm not sure there is a modern standard anymore. But I think there are standards within musical genres.

I have to agree with Craig that the green bullet and a small tube amp sounds amazing. It would DEFINITELY be one of my picks for chicago blues, as would the astatic jt-30. Talking about the real vintage ones here. For jazz trumpet simulation, a vocal mic like I use works best for me, again through a small tube amp. For clean unmistakable folk harmonica tone, a vocal mic like the shure beta57 straight into the PA. For rock, nearly anything. For variety, add some tasteful, underdone effects.

I would DEFINITELY own a shure green bullet if my job was working me more than 10 days a month. I would also have the jt-30. Do I need them to rock an audience? No, but I like the way they sound. I want one of each.

• Members

Here's another perspective...I'm not sure there is a modern standard anymore. But I think there are standards within musical genres.

I have to agree with Craig that the green bullet and a small tube amp sounds amazing. It would DEFINITELY be one of my picks for chicago blues, as would the astatic jt-30. Talking about the real vintage ones here. For jazz trumpet simulation, a vocal mic like I use works best for me, again through a small tube amp. For clean unmistakable folk harmonica tone, a vocal mic like the shure beta57 straight into the PA. For rock, nearly anything. For variety, add some tasteful, underdone effects.

I would DEFINITELY own a shure green bullet if my job was working me more than 10 days a month. I would also have the jt-30. Do I need them to rock an audience? No, but I like the way they sound. I want one of each.

Pretty good perspective. Here is another Since this thread is about getting hooked up to play harp with a band this little tidbit is somthing to think about. If you are in a band ,,you can pretty well set up the rig you like. However , if you are a harp player or either beginning or experience and are doing jam nights where you are a guest on stage for a few numbers. Guys keep it simple. Bring a mic,,, hand the cord to the host and have them plug you in. If you drag in an amp , effects and all kinds of gear to sit in for a few songs ,, you are going to really be alot of trouble when you just dont need all that stuff to get the job done. If you are a regular part of the house band its another story. The same goes for guitar. Make it simple, and if you are a decent player you will be a welcome guest. Even the best players who drag in all kinds of gear are a distraction and do hold up the show. I say this from a viewpoint of a guy who works a jam night as keyboard player in the rhythm section of a pretty well respected jam night that has alot of pro level players. Fore sure you dont have to be gods gift to sit in on this jam night ,, but geesh dont be a doofus about it and load in more crap than a music store to play a few songs.

Archived