Shure SM86: Fix or trash?

• Members

The singer in my band ruined my 86 by twirling it and being rough with it and whatever... so I made him buy me two evolutions.

Anywho... its got that problem where the bottom of the mic gets sucked into the body of the mic when you're trying to plug it in. Thats a pretty easy fix, just line it up and unscrew the little locking screw to keep it in place. But now it pops and cracks and sounds terrible if you're not holding it totally still.

Question... do places fix mics, and if so is it going to be worth it... or should I just trash it?

OH... I guess I might as well as this here too... The singer was also really taken by a band we saw that used one of those old school style mics... they look like a big metal fist?

For that what would you recommend for a live setting that is comparative to the evolutions in price and sound?

• Members

I think Shure will fix all their mics for a flat fee no matter how badly damaged- $50 or $60 or something around there. Probably more cost effective than replacing!

Either way, a call to Shure won't hurt- I've had very good experiences with their tech support.

• Members

OH...
I guess I might as well as this here too... The singer was also really taken by a band we saw that used one of those old school style mics... they look like a big metal fist?

Are you talking about a Shure 55SH?

Shure55SHSeriesIIMic.jpg

• Members

I wish I knew what my specific needs were.

I'm literally still staring at my "cart" at Audiopile with the snake reel in it... waiting for one of you guys to walk up and click the buy button for me.

• Members

What makes you say interesting mic Coaster?

whenever i have had the oppertunity to use one i have always thought it sounded a lot like a 58 but with a better sound to it, kind of an improved 58 with a kind of darkness to it but still very clear.

sorry, thats kind of vague i know. i think its a neat mic, too expensive for a plain mic for me to buy and not cool enough to spend the cash. i do like them though.

• Members

SM86 is one of my all time favorite mics. I VASTLY prefer it to any Beta including the 87 for almost all of my applications. I have never had anyone tell me to take it down because they couldn't/wouldn't use it. I am not certain I agree that it sounds like a supped up 58, I think of it as a more neutral 87.

• Members

OH...
I guess I might as well as this here too... The singer was also really taken by a band we saw that used one of those old school style mics... they look like a big metal fist?

By 'taken' do you mean he really liked the way it looks, or actually is into the way it sounds?

Because getting into a mic simply because the singer likes the way it looks puts you on a slippery slope...

• Members

By 'taken' do you mean he really liked the way it looks, or actually is into the way it sounds?

Because getting into a mic simply because the singer likes the way it looks puts you on a slippery slope...

Sort of like hiring a singer based on their looks instead of their singing?

Archived