A new TB-303 clone from Behringer

Phil O'Keefe

Looks like Behringer is releasing their version of yet another classic synth - this time, it's a TB-303 clone called the TD-3. Unlike the Roland TB-03, the Behringer version is supposed to be analog (like the original 303) instead of using modeling. And unlike the originals, which go for silly-high prices these days, the Behringer is supposedly going to retail for $150. :eekphil: Sweetwater is already taking pre-orders... if I didn't already have the TB-03, I'd be tempted to get one. 

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BehrTD3SR--behringer-td3-silver

Looks like they're going to be available in three different colors too... 

• Members

Cool!  Behringer is being really cool about bringing affordable versions of these classics.  There is only a limited supply of originals, and a hobbyist like me would never buy an original (at the ridiculous asking prices), but I'll play around with an affordable clone, why not?

• 3 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Heroesforghosts19 said:

I pre ordered the Behringer 303 clone,the Crave and the Model D keys. Just got the Oddesey,and have the Deepmind 12, Neutron,and Model D module,and I forgot the ms-101.

Wow, looks like you're getting them all. :) Welcome to Harmony Central BTW. :wave: 

How do you like the Odyssey? I'm tempted to get one, but I really have limited room for more keyboards. 

I have a Model D, and a Pro-1 on order - the original Pro One from Sequential was the first "real" synth I ever purchased (back in 1982), so when the opportunity to get a clone at a silly-low price (compared to the vintage originals) became possible, I had to bite. And the Model D was in the "decent guitar pedal" price zone when I got mine, and I knew that I'd kick myself later if I didn't get one. I only paid about $50 more for mine (new) than the price of the new TD-3... but they've gone back up to the $300 range since then.   

I was really surprised by the Model D. They really nailed the sound, and while it's more compact, it doesn't feel cheap or too small. I'm looking forward to checking out the Pro-1 and I'm hoping it will be equally well executed. 

• Members

I had the Odyssey for about a week by it's still in the box. So is the Neutron,and Model D. I have only played the MS-101 so far,and the DM12. I just ordered the Model D 4 voice kb. I have heard someone else's oddy and it's a dead on copy. All the great sounds are there. I thought about getting the pro1 clone, but remember how I hated programming it with those templates it came with. If it just had memory! I'm in the process of moving and can't play here. I was a member since 2000 but they got all screwed up and lost about half their subscribers info. 

2 minutes ago, Heroesforghosts19 said:

I was a member since 2000 but they got all screwed up and lost about half their subscribers info. 

Do you remember your old user name? If so, drop me a PM and I'll see if I can get it restored for you if you'd like. I can't make any promises, but this new software is pretty slick, and I might be able to get your old account back for you... :)

• Members

I was heroesforghosts back in the day. So I just added 19 for the year and rejoined. I haven't been here for about 10-11 yrs. It was getting pretty weird until they decided to have a moderator. But I'm ending up with about 10 synths now so decided to rejoin. Every time I switched internet providers I'd get dumped. So I just gave up, and ended up selling about 19 of my synths. I miss my A6!

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Got the TD-3 in blue yesterday and I ran it through it's paces,and can report that it's a pretty dead on machine. I also got a Crave,but forgot about it for a month and haven't even taken it out of the box yet. I ordered the Korg Wavestate and the Behringer Poly D. The Poly D is coming very soon as is the Wavestate.

On 1/30/2020 at 12:18 PM, Heroesforghosts19 said:

Got the TD-3 in blue yesterday and I ran it through it's paces,and can report that it's a pretty dead on machine. I also got a Crave,but forgot about it for a month and haven't even taken it out of the box yet. I ordered the Korg Wavestate and the Behringer Poly D. The Poly D is coming very soon as is the Wavestate.

How is the programming on the TD-3 - does it work in a similar manner as the TB-303? Is there more than one way to program it like the TB-03? 

• 1 month later...
  • Members
On 2/1/2020 at 12:06 PM, Phil O'Keefe said:

How is the programming on the TD-3 - does it work in a similar manner as the TB-303? Is there more than one way to program it like the TB-03? 

I believe the TD-3 can only be programmed in the original fashion unlike the TB-03 which has two ways to program it.... i could be mistaken.

1 hour ago, Danoman said:

I believe the TD-3 can only be programmed in the original fashion unlike the TB-03 which has two ways to program it.... i could be mistaken.

That's what I thought too, but having never used one, I am not certain. :idk: I do think the "new" / alternative way of programming patterns that they added to the TB-03 makes the process a lot easier, and it's better for getting predictable results, although it does tend to lead to fewer "happy accidents" than the original programming methodology of the TB-303. For that reason, I'm really glad the TB-03 gives you a choice. 

Still, for $150, the TD-3 looks like an insane bargain! 

Archived