Problem with Pickup - Takamine GD-30

TobiasT

• Members

I have  bought a Takamine GD-30 two months ago. I played it for a while and did already some recording (scrumming). Today I tried some recording (pick-up not microphone) with picking licks. I first connected the guitar to my Golden Age Preamp (which is connected to my Edirol FA-101 soundcard). I was a little shocked when I heard the result because the mid strings (in particular G-string) sounded like they were hardly recorded (very thin and not much there) compared to the higher and lower strings. I, then, tried recording directly through my soundcard inputs; same result. The equalizer setting of my guitar is completely neutral. The jacks inside the guitar are connected to the pre-amp. I have used the cable and the preamp for other recordings and not experienced that kind of "malfunction" so I can rule out that either cable or soundcard are the problem. I am a little worried that that pick-up/preamps of the guitar are not functioning properly. However, interestingly it appears to work properly when picking the higher or lower strings; this problem really occurs only when picking the middle strings. Does anyone have a clue what the problem could be. I am not entirely sure how the preamp of the guitar actually works (is that a piezo pick-up which woul pick-up each string in which case the piezo could be the cause?). Any suggestions are highly appreciated.

Best Tobias

• Members

First, Hi and Welcome to the Forums. From your description you probably have a GD30CE. It has built in electronics, right? Aftermarket pickups for a two piece saddle like yours are rare. Takamine "G series" guitars like yours have the saddle and piezo pickup integrated into one (or in your case two) piece. That means the "palathetic" piezo is unlikely to be the problem. Your most likely issue is threefold: First, having the EQ controls set flat is apparently causing a midrange "bump." Your TP-4TD preamp has controls for Bass, Middle, and Treble; try cutting the mids or boosting the bass and highs. Second, the G string doesn't appear to have a lot of "break angle," meaning it probably isn't pressing down on the saddle quite as hard as the other strings. Third, and more important, is that you're not going to get decent sound recording directly from the pickup in any case. The best way to record an acoustic guitar is with a good condenser mic pointed at the 12th fret.

Edited by DeepEnd

• Members

Thanks guys, very much appreciated. I already tried playing around with the EQ but it really changes the overall sound (surprise!😉) and should not be the solution to this problem. And I dont think it really solves the dynamic issue at all. The acoustic sound of the guitar (and in particular the G-String) is fine so it should not be an issue with the hardware (saddle) either, I guess. I, thus, would think it has to do with the contacts as garthman suggests. I am not a great technician and cannot repair, so I will just return the guitar and see whether I can find a different one.

Thanks again,

Regards

TT

• Members
12 hours ago, garthman said:

I suspect it's due to poor and uneven contact between the base of the saddle and the piezo UST.

Possibly if Takamine has changed their saddle design for the "G series." If not, and the saddle and piezo are still one piece, "contact" is assured.

• 1 year later...
  • Members
12 hours ago, Deborah said:

I have a takamine g560C with a pick up. I have been playing the uke but decided to pick up my guitar again. When I pulled it out of the closet the pick up space was empty? Sooooo sad! Is there a way to get a replacement? 

Hello and welcome

You could try to track down a Takamine dealer and see if they can help. Other method is to measure the size of the hole and the profile on the guitar side and visit Ebay or Amazon to try to find one that will fit.

Good luck.

• Members
On 11/20/2020 at 1:47 AM, Deborah said:

I have a takamine g560C with a pick up. I have been playing the uke but decided to pick up my guitar again. When I pulled it out of the closet the pick up space was empty? Sooooo sad! Is there a way to get a replacement? 

Hi and welcome to the Forums. Assuming you mean the space where the preamp fits is empty, the good news is that Takamine preamps are pretty much a couple of standard sizes. A dealer should have no problem ordering a replacement.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

Have a GD93CE the B and E strings, split saddle, do not seem to be amplified, tomorrow new Elixir strings are going on. What might I want to check while strings are off. I heard my Model has two pickups, split saddle

• 10 months later...
  • Members
On 4/4/2021 at 1:16 AM, SebasVC said:

Does anybody have a fix for this? I've tried forever to fix the issue with the low output on the g string and still can't get it to sound properly even when risking it and moving the sensor and the conductor around

I'm in the same boat w my GD93CE. G string is dead compared to the rest when plugged in. I'm not having a bigger problem: the volume is dropping below 50% intermittently and then all of a sudden comes back randomly. I'm a gigging musician and this is driving me nuts. 

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Thanks to all of you guys. Deep end I think hit the nail on the head. I do have a GD30CE with atp 4 td pick up. I am just a hummer and a strummer, and have been playing since the 1970,s I have not had this Tak for to long ; trying to learn a little bit about the tuner and what it takes to plug it in. I changed the two wire plug ins on the piezo and the tuner works fine but do not have an amplifier to try it. Thanks for the advice.

• Members
On 12/16/2023 at 9:20 PM, Ricky Daughtry said:

Thanks to all of you guys. Deep end I think hit the nail on the head. I do have a GD30CE with atp 4 td pick up. I am just a hummer and a strummer, and have been playing since the 1970,s I have not had this Tak for to long ; trying to learn a little bit about the tuner and what it takes to plug it in. I changed the two wire plug ins on the piezo and the tuner works fine but do not have an amplifier to try it. Thanks for the advice.

Hi and welcome to the forums. :wave: FWIW, a bass amp will work fine for acoustic guitar if you can borrow one just to test yours.

• Members
8 hours ago, DeepEnd said:

Hi and welcome to the forums. :wave: FWIW, a bass amp will work fine for acoustic guitar if you can borrow one just to test yours.

I agree. I use a small 40 watt bass amp regularly. I also have a larger 50 watt keyboard amp that I use in big venues - keyboard amps also work well with acoustic guitars.