Best Practice Room Headphones for the $

• Members

This came up in a different thread so now I kinda want some opinions.

What are the best headphones to use in a practice setting that will handle the WHOLE mix?

I already have a 4 channel headphone amp in my MixWiz rack, so... headphone suggestions?

• Members

Get some IEM buds. Shure SCL2's are good, SCL3's can accept custom made sleeves. In-ear buds isolate the best and sound better than isolating headphones.

Sennheiser HD280's are nice but don't isolate as well as they say they do. I use audio-technica ATH-M50s 'phones and they do sound great and get VERY loud, but don't isolate all that well. It's no problem cranking up the volume to get it over the ambient racket, they still sound great, but you'll wreck your hearing and fast.

• Members

No isolation, best fidelity: Grado (any model, but preferably the 125 or better).

Good isolation, very good fidelity: M-Audio IE10 buds.

Best isolation, good fidelity: ExtremeHeadphones EX29 (the latest version only). (Some headphone amps are a bit puny for these if you like to listen too loudly.)

Good isolation, decent fidelity: Sennheiser 280.

Lousy isolation, mediocre fidelity: Sony 7506.

• Members

Perhaps not the greatest sounding headphones, but 'Extreme Isolation' work really well in a situation where background attenuation is needed (like acoustic drums in the same room).

I use the same for mixing from stage. For $50 I don't think there's a better headphone for the job.

• Members

For ~$50 you are talking about the EX-25? If so I bought them recently and am quite impressed with their sound. I dunno how much "better" the EX-29 are but IMO the 25's are fine for live sound.

The only thing that gets by the EX-25s in my experience is bass. Our bassist isn't overbearing and located on the opposite side of the stage. (100 watt SS Ampeg. It's really enough for the shows we do. I don't mic the trumpet when I play it. Guess that would make us a quieter band.)

Archived