Help choosing subs

• Members

I am looking for a pair of subs to match with QSC HPR152i mains. It appears that the HPR subs are now discontinued,so what would be a good choice to go with now? Money isn't the biggest factor but I would like to keep it in the $1500 to $2000 range with a little wiggle room on the top end. The style of music is heavy rock/metal. Thanks!!

• Members

Thanks to all of you for the responses! It seems there are a few HPRs floating around but most places are out of stock now and all of the ones I have seen are only slightly discounted if at all. It also seems I may be able to purchase a pair of Yorkville LS700p or LS720p in my price range. How would either of those match up with the HPR152i?

• Members

Maybe they are heavy rock and play at sensible volumes..

Surely not!

Unfortunately no, our drummer is a basher and it doesnt appear that that is going to change anytime soon. Therefor,we are loud.

Since the Yorkville subs will not be suitable for metal,am I to understand that the HPR151i or the HPR181i would not be enough either? For that matter,what is the biggest room that the HPR152i will push before I need to add to those?

• Members

I have a pair of ES700P's (same as the LS700P) in the garage. I've only used them 2 times in the last 24 months. They are OK, but aren't low end monsters. They'll put a little thump on the dance floor. Great output for their size, but not necessarily at the frequencies you desire from a sub. They have a lot of 100 - 150 Hz, but nothing at all under 50 Hz. Not really what I'd consider a "heavy rock/metal" sub.

• Members
For that matter,what is the biggest room that the HPR152i will push before I need to add to those?

Maybe 300 if you cross them over with the subs relatively high (125hz ?) and you have enough subs to keep up with them. If the drummer requires drums in his monitor to hear them over the Marshall stacks maybe half that (150) :freak: .

Archived