Can you use any three prong power cord in any device?

• Members

Talking about these:

power-cord-black.jpg

I only ask because we just broke down our rig and someone tossed all the power cables in one pile. I assume its ok, but want to be 100% sure before I go plugging a DBX power cable into the MixWiz.

I know sometimes those wallwarts aren't compatible with one guitar pedal to another...

• Members

I'm of the understanding there are different rated cables and sockets which sometimes might be intentionally incompatible. IE: A 15A rated cable might not transfer power through a 20A rated socket... because either the pins in the socket are shorter, or the female connectors in the cord end are recessed further.

• Members

I'm of the understanding there are different rated cables and sockets which sometimes might be intentionally incompatible. IE: A 15A rated cable might not transfer power through a 20A rated socket... because either the pins in the socket are shorter, or the female connectors in the cord end are recessed further.

True, but those are pretty obvious different connectors with the blades turned sideways or whatever.

I do need to clarify my earlier statement about "it doesn't matter and we don't keep track" a little, though. We do have some power amps that use those cables. I have the heavier-gauge cables zip-tied into the racks for those amps.

• CMS Author

Some info on IEC connectors.

The ones we are likely to see are C13(cordset female) and C14(panel male inlet). These are ALL rated 10 amps by IEC.

I've found no explanation for the varying wires gauges used. I assume that they ignore the IEC standard to allow for higher ampacity. Check the CSA and UL listings printed on them. In some cases, you'll see a CSA temperature rating of 60 degrees C, and a UL rating of 75 degrees on the same cord. In other cases, the temperature ratings match.

The higher current IEC pair are C19 and C20 rated 16 amps. These have larger pins rotated 90-degrees to the C13/C14 and so don't fit them.

Archived