My Gig Saturday Night

• Members

I thinks it's great to ask questions. And better to actually care enough to learn from experience and mistakes are the best teacher. Looking back I can see how I f-d up some pretty good gigs by just not knowing. But I wouldn't be here today w/o falling down a few times. But then again I wouldn't be here today if...

Whatever you do with sound, keep playing first. There are plenty of soundguys who hang it up altogether. Keeping your playing chops will help sound and vice-versa. I've gotten a lot farther too because I play bass well, overall playing has helped the sound angle more than sound has helped the bass angle.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I hate to be the one that comes across as an asshole by saying it, but 9 times out of 10 you sound like you have no idea what the hell you are talking about when it comes to mixing a show. Something tells me you need to take a step back, think about what you are doing, try to learn some things, and then decide that it is ok to start mixing some shows. You're going to end up ruining someone's speakers, equipment, rack gear, etc. Sorry, I know it sucks to hear it but it's the truth.

Shouldn't something like this be put up over at PSW?

He'll learn faster in baptism by fire. The more mistake he makes, the faster he'll learn, and he appears to be doing so based on all his posts. Remember, there is no license for this trade, and anyone with a pile of money can get into it. Fortunately the market is self correcting, and if you stink, you don't get hired. Please try not to discourage people from getting board time, because in reality, the only way people on this forum get the opportunity to mix is on their own equipment, or on gigs they've booked themselves, thirsting for a taste of that sweet sonic victory.

The one thing that bums me out about this forum is the smart-alec comments and sense of heirarchy that occasionally pops up from weekend warriors. Some weeks is awful, some weeks non-existent. Please remember we're all here to help each other out, and even the least knowledgeable people have something to teach us.

Rant over

• Members

Whatever you do with sound, keep playing first. There are plenty of soundguys who hang it up altogether. Keeping your playing chops will help sound and vice-versa. I've gotten a lot farther too because I play bass well, overall playing has helped the sound angle more than sound has helped the bass angle.

Good call! I definitely practice my guitar more than I practice mixing :thu:

• Members

I understand the point you are trying to make and I know what its like to want to learn something and to become better at it. My "asshole" point was that making dangerous decisions regarding someone else's equipment or event are not the kind of things you do on a whim. Everyone can argue with me till they are red in the face but it's the truth.

The solution to your problem this past Saturday wasn't haphazardly giving it a chance, it was to accurately advance the show you were in charge of well before the date it took place. That way, you would have known that you needed two passive DIs or a single stereo instead of the computer interface DI. That's the point I am making.

Again, sorry if everyone thinks that's a PSW or "mean" thing to say. But, it's probably the best lesson you could learn. You don't take risky chances because it is not just "YOUR GEAR" on the line. The person hosting the event, wedding, festival, etc. and the other performers have a lot invested in the situation as well and won't understand when you say, "I thought it would be ok..."

Rant over, back to the assholes' corner.

• Members

I understand the point you are trying to make and I know what its like to want to learn something and to become better at it. My "asshole" point was that making dangerous decisions regarding someone else's equipment or event are not the kind of things you do on a whim. Everyone can argue with me till they are red in the face but it's the truth.

The solution to your problem this past Saturday wasn't haphazardly giving it a chance, it was to accurately advance the show you were in charge of well before the date it took place. That way, you would have known that you needed two passive DIs or a single stereo instead of the computer interface DI. That's the point I am making.

Again, sorry if everyone thinks that's a PSW or "mean" thing to say. But, it's probably the best lesson you could learn. You don't take risky chances because it is not just "YOUR GEAR" on the line. The person hosting the event, wedding, festival, etc. and the other performers have a lot invested in the situation as well and won't understand when you say, "I thought it would be ok..."

Rant over, back to the assholes' corner.

All my gear except his tables. My gig. I put it together, invited a friends crew to play with us. Friend said he would be coming out of his laptop (figured he was a laptop DJ from this) using 1/8th.

Found out at the show he has 1/4. We discussed it and agreed direct with NO phantom was the call since... the show must go on.

You're not an asshole. You just know a lot and obviously are worried about me coming to your hometown to take jobs away from you with my technical prowess. Jk.

You're not getting the situation I don't think and are making some assumptions. I'm not completely ignorant about sound reinforcement, but I do come to this forum humbly. I find its better to sound as if I know nothing so I can get a clear response that I can learn from.

Also I have two light switches in my house that control the same light. And sometimes when I flip one switch up the light goes off, that makes no sense to me. Up is on and down is off, right?

Anyway, I appreciate your stern warnings, I see that you're trying to protect MY gear, OTHER PEOPLE's gear, and the GIG in general. So thats cool. If its okay with everyone I'll just keep asking my questions until people stop answering. :)

• Members

There must be something in the water, I usually don't give a rat about other people's gig. it's just a gig everyone, no-one is gonna die if he f-s up. Oh wait, well, reading distro threads then maybe, but not here...

Subs, when you're dealing with a snake and everything is essentially XLR, it's common practice to just convert the signal via DI to XLR at the stage end. This keeps the mixer(s) from having to repatch at the board and the only patching occurs at the snake box. Repatching at the snake fan end(s) make life very confusing all around and more so the more splits and monitor/recording mixers are added. Once the XLR is in the mixer it should stay there in order, with the fan matching the channel number etc. K.I.S.S.

Then at the fan end the only things that get plugged in to the box are xlr cables, no adaptors etc. Have the FOH power run from the same curcuit as the monitor amp or backline power (I prefer monitor amp power). This keeps the ground issues to a minimum, and means running a 100' AC along with the snake.

• Members

So moral of the story is... order another DI from audiopile... this time with 1/4 inserts, and now I'll be ready for either situation (1/8, RCA, or 1/4).

Leave the fantail as is always.

What I don't get is... why is the DI acting like a fusebox?

On Saturday, had I hit the phantom power button it would've sent electricity back to his turntables possibly causing harm, correct? But with a DI in place the electricity would've been stopped at the box effectively protecting his tables?

• Members

So moral of the story is... order another DI from audiopile... this time with 1/4 inserts, and now I'll be ready for either situation (1/8, RCA, or 1/4).

Leave the fantail as is always.

On Saturday, had I hit the phantom power button it would've sent electricity back to his turntables possibly causing harm, correct? But with a DI in place the electricity would've been stopped at the box effectively protecting his tables?

it's the same reason that the DI buffers you from noise. it's the transformer.

• Members

It is not acting as a fusebox.

It uses a transformer to electrically isolate the electronics in your source device from the ones in your mixer. A transformer is basically a couple or more coils of wire placed right on top of each other such that electrical current applied to one of the coils (the primary) will, through electromagnetic induction, create a current in the other (the secondary)

The transformer is also generally wound in such a way that, like the gearbox in a car, steps down the impedence of the signal. Finally, the DI balances the signal which makes it suitable for running very long cable runs (ie through your snake) without extra noise.

• Members

Something tells me you need to take a step back, think about what you are doing, try to learn some things, and then decide that it is ok to start mixing some shows. You're going to end up ruining someone's speakers, equipment, rack gear, etc. Sorry, I know it sucks to hear it but it's the truth.

I think that's what he's trying to do, LEARN. How else do you expect him to get to know his gear better. Yeah so you blow up stuff, you learn from your mistakes and you move on. I agree with the others in that this is what this forum is all about. I have learned a lot from this group and while I feel bad I don't always have much to contribute due to my experience, I'm glad to get answers to my stupid questions also. just my 2c

• Members

Its been interesting reading Subs threads.An old saying comes to mind from my salesman days."There are no stupid questions,except the one you think is too stupid to ask!".I always let my prospects know that I had the patience to answer any and all of their questions.Everyone wants to feel that they are making "educated" decisions,and the only way to do that is to educate oneself.This forum has helped us all,or we wouldn't post/lurk here all the time! Carry on Subs,and as always ,Thanx to all!!!

• Members

Congradultion on your first gig. I was in your same shoes 5 years ago and didn't have the slighless clue about SR then found this forum and had to join.

I love this forum because I have learned so much over the years from a lot of great and wonderful people.

I wouldn't concern myself with Imwithpepe maybe he was in a bad mood when he posted. Dunno why he wants to be a bad guy?

You did exactly like a did and just dove in the water without a life jacket and it was either sink or swim. I guess Imwithpepe just wanted to remind you.

You didn't wear a life jacket before you decided to jump in.

Anyways, I mix off the stage myself and have no need for a snake because I have the singer and tone freak guitarist who goes out with my Line 6 wireless and cue me on the FOH mix. Less gear we gotta carry for load in/out.

After a year or 2 of steady gigging you'll understand why a robo roadie would be the hottest selling SR gear on the market.

Also about those toms ringing do you have a gate? if not something you might wanna add. Also a cheaper solution for tom ringing is moon gel. It works some what, but IME I know gates work better.

• Members

Congradultion on your first gig. I was in your same shoes 5 years ago and didn't have the slighless clue about SR then found this forum and had to join.

I love this forum because I have learned so much over the years from a lot of great and wonderful people.

I wouldn't concern myself with Imwithpepe maybe he was in a bad mood when he posted. Dunno why he wants to be a bad guy?

You did exactly like a did and just dove in the water without a life jacket and it was either sink or swim. I guess Imwithpepe just wanted to remind you.

You didn't wear a life jacket before you decided to jump in.

Anyways, I mix off the stage myself and have no need for a snake because I have the singer and tone freak guitarist who goes out with my Line 6 wireless and cue me on the FOH mix. Less gear we gotta carry for load in/out.

After a year or 2 of steady gigging you'll understand why a robo roadie would be the hottest selling SR gear on the market.

Also about those toms ringing do you have a gate? if not something you might wanna add. Also a cheaper solution for tom ringing is moon gel. It works some what, but IME I know gates work better.

Actually I don't have a gate, but as the toms were ringing for ever and ever and ever... I thought that might be the next purchase.

• Members

Best way to stop tom ringing?

Tune them correctly.
:thu:

Maybe his drummer don't know how?

I know my current drummer doesn't know how to tune his drums by ear like I seen other drummers in the past I've worked with. My current drummer uses a drum dial to tune with.

I would get a gate and that way your covered.

Archived