Slightly O/T: Rehearsal Space Set Up?

• Members

So my band is moving into a new rehearsal space. We are getting 50 extra sqft! Basically moving from a 10x12 to a 15x12.

Just curious if you guys have any tips for setting up for a good space. We have access to carpet, carpet padding and wood flooring. In our current space we have carpet pad on every wall, nothing on the ceiling and carpet on pad on the floor.

Anything else we can do to help with sound reflection and all that jazz?

Thanks in advance. :)

• CMS Author

IMO you would be much better off using real studio materials such as Auralex, etc. sell. It's a small space, so you won't need all that much. Carpeting and especially padding are quite flammable when hung vertically, and anyone with a dust or mold allergy will not appreciate the air in the room. Not to mention the fact that those materials are limited in their usefulness.

• Members

I've seen that stuff before but it seems pricey... where is a good place to buy it?

And when you're using those materials you don't always need to cover an entire wall do you? Just certain spots?

• Members

what we do is have a practice space setup, where we use an old mixer, old stands, old mics, extra amps/cabs etc so that we don't have to completely empty the room for shows. We use our monitors as "mains" for practice, to save wear and tear on our FOH. As far as using sound dampening/deadening material, I think for rehearsal space I wouldn't even worry about it unless you are getting noise complaints.

The easiest way to get sound to stop bouncing on the walls is to add some "stuff" to the room, a couch or two etc. I have an old couch you can have it want :)

• Members

what we do is have a practice space setup, where we use an old mixer, old stands, old mics, extra amps/cabs etc so that we don't have to completely empty the room for shows. We use our monitors as "mains" for practice, to save wear and tear on our FOH. As far as using sound dampening/deadening material, I think for rehearsal space I wouldn't even worry about it unless you are getting noise complaints.

The easiest way to get sound to stop bouncing on the walls is to add some "stuff" to the room, a couch or two etc. I have an old couch you can have it want
:)

Hahaha, yeah we thought about a couch, but we're worried that will contribute to more drinking and less rehearsing.

• CMS Author

I've seen that stuff before but it seems pricey... where is a good place to buy it?

And when you're using those materials you don't always need to cover an entire wall do you? Just certain spots?

Yes, it's somewhat expensive, but it does work. And yes, it does not have to cover the entire surface of the room. Bass traps in the corners, and some panels on walls and ceiling (carpeting is fine for the floor....;)) should help at least as much as found materials.

MF has kits. I'm not aware of any discounted stores for this stuff.

• CMS Author

This seems like a pretty good deal, and if I buy two I'll have them shipped for free.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Auralex-Studiofoam-Designer-Kit?sku=422602

That would be 64 sqft of padding.

Would their be a method to the madness or just evenly space these out along the walls?

There's a definite method, to ensure you get best effect. However that's a topic unto itself. Google up some "studio sound treatment" or other keywords to see a whole lot of opinions. Frankly I'd hang them with masking tape to see what's best to your ears, and then glue up when you're happy.

• Members

I made enough treatment for my 25x20 home studio for less than 50 bucks. Rock-wool, 1x2's, screws, some cheap left over fabric from the sewing story and some time. I made a some 4'x4', 2'x4' and 3'x6' panels, then put them up temporarily around the room until I found the right balance. This will do wonders for a "wet" room, just don't over do it. For bass traps that's a whole different story.

• Members

Googled.

Found this:

SIDEBAR: HARD FLOOR, SOFT CEILING

The following is from an exchange that took place in the rec.audio.pro newsgroup in May, 2003:

Bill Ruys asked: Why it is recommended to have bare (un-carpeted) floors in the studio? One web site I visited mentioned that a bare floor was a prerequisite for the room design with diffusors and absorbers on the ceiling, but didn't say why. I'm trying to understand the principal, rather than following blindly.

Paul Stamler: Carpet typically absorbs high frequencies and some midrange, but does nothing for bass and lower midrange. Using carpet as an acoustic treatment, in most rooms, results in a room that is dull and boomy. Most of the time you need a thicker absorber such as 4-inch or, better, 6-inch fiberglass, or acoustic tile, and you can't walk around on either of those. Hence the general recommendation that you avoid carpet on the floor and use broadband absorbers elsewhere.

Lee Liebner: the human ear is accustomed to determining spatial references from reflections off of side walls and floor, and a low ceiling would only confuse the brain with more early reflections it doesn't need. Everywhere you go, the floor is always the same distance away from you, so it's a reference that your brain can always relate to. Top

John Noll: Reasons for having wood floors: they look good, equipment can be rolled easily, spills can be cleaned up easily, provide a bright sound if needed, sound can be deadened with area rugs.

Ethan Winer: In a studio room, versus a control room, a reflective floor is a great way to get a nice sense of ambience when recording acoustic instruments. Notice I said reflective, not wood, since linoleum and other materials are less expensive than wood yet sound the same. When you record an acoustic guitar or clarinet or whatever, slight reflections off the floor give the illusion of "being right there in the room" on the recording. It's more difficult to use a ceiling for ambience - especially in a typical home studio with low ceilings - because the mikes are too close to the ceiling when miking from above. And that proximity creates comb filtering which can yield a hollow sound. So with a hard floor surface you can get ambience, and with full absorption on the ceiling you can put the mike above the instrument, very close to the ceiling, without getting comb filtering.

Dave Wallingford: I've always preferred wood floors for a few reasons: 1) It's easier to move stuff around, 2) You can always get area rugs if you need them, And the main reason: 3) Pianos sound like crap on carpet. Top

I've wanted a reason to go with wood floors! What do you guys think?

• CMS Author

The points are well thought out. Just remember that these guys are looking for ways to make the room sound better, not to simply cut down on reflections. And they have almost unlimited budgets. It's a lot more expensive to treat a ceiling than to simply rug the floor.

• Members

Turn down!!!

+10,000 :thu:

My last rehearsal space was a 12x12 bedroom. Full band: bass,drums,horn,keys & guitar. Crappy Kustom 15" monitors, many of which were pointing directly (or nearly so) into vocal mikes. NEVER had a feedback problem. We don't play whisper quiet at rehearsal, but we keep instrument levels down enough to clearly hear the vocals.

I would address this first before spending any money on VERY expensive absorbtion materials. Most rooms probably don't need it, unless it's a concrete floor with cinder block walls.

I have played in rooms where we had to take the monitors off of the floor and put them on stands to keep the ceiling reflections down, but those have been the exception.

• Members

Yes to Craigv's post:

You're talking about a rehearsal space, not a studio.

Ans while it's always nice to be able to have a decent recording climate in the jam room, they ARE two different animals.

In our space (16X17 w/15 foot ceilings, concrete floor) our #1 goal is to cut down on reflections; we're all on in-ears, so the amps don't need to be at much volume. Really most of what we've done has been to work against the natural volume of the drums and minimize how much reflection from them is then picked up by the vocal and amp mics.

Carpet on the floor. A half a dozen eggshell mattress pads on the walls. Home made plexi & wood shield around the drums.

It's about 90% there, and more than good enough to use. I would like to fly some sort of soft diffusor/baffle about 10'-12' feet off the floor over the drums, but that means making it (easy enough) and then attaching it to the ceiling (harder).

• Members

We just move the couches around in our hunting lodge. It's got concrete floors and taxidermied(SP?) heads & animals all over but we keep the volume down too. Only run two mics, vocals & back-ups thru a Fender Passport(yeah, yeah, yeah...) but it only needs to be loud enough for the vocals to be present against the drums, bass, & guitars.

• Members

I found some "scraps" of foam on ebay a couple years ago when I was setting up a practice room. It was way cheaper than buy new stuff that looked way better. Most of the pieces didnt match, but they all do what they are supposed to.

Edit: By "scraps" i just mean random pieces that dont match and/or are odd sizes. They were all usable.

Archived