Wedding DJ Prices

• Members

Okay... so I said a while back a friend wanted me to DJ her wedding.

I'm okay with that as long as she realizes I'm not a pro.

I'll bring my mixer, my computer, my QSC181+153 set up, and mics.

What would you guys charge?

Lets assume I'm going to mic the actual ceremony, and then do music (garter toss, bouquet, etc) til the end of the night.

• Members

Is this an actual friend, or more of someone that you know? If its a friend of yours I would just do it for free, they will probably give you a small "gift" for doing it.

Well, not really a friend, more like a friend of a friend of a friend...

I don't mind doing it for cheap. Its kind of awkward. I don't know if they are coming to me because they don't want to spend a lot, or if they are just trying to hook me up and keep it in the family.

• Members

Agreed. If it is a true friend I'd comp him. If it is a friend of a friend I'd ask around $200 if it's a simple setup.

Basically, if you would have been invited anyway do it for free. If you are only there for the DJ work charge them.

• Members

I would tend to agree. If you really don't do this then it's a good experience and a resume builder. See if they'll allow you to take pictures. This will help if you want to do a website and offer your services in the future. Also they can be a reference for you and provide a "testimonial" for your website.

If it's not a good friend though, then I'd at least make it worth your while. Maybe $20-$30 and hour. Likely will be a 10 hour day if it's local so $200- $300.

• Members

Well, not really a friend, more like a friend of a friend of a friend...

I don't mind doing it for cheap. Its kind of awkward. I don't know if they are coming to me because they don't want to spend a lot, or if they are just trying to hook me up and keep it in the family.

I would find this out as it could be important. If they know they are getting an inexperienced guy and are OK because they are trying to save money that's one thing. If they expect a polished wedding DJ, it doesn't matter if you do it for free or $1000, their expectations may not be met. So you really want to set the expectations of what you can do for them.

• Members

Mmmkay. So basically keep the rates down. I'm not really trying to break into the DJ services industry. I'm in a band and thats about as far as I'd like to go with my gear. Word just gets out in my circles that I have this monster system (which no one like me should own) and they think... hey lets call him!

• Members

Hey, you get to showcase yourself & your gear; maybe it could lead to other gigs down the road.

I know I've thought about that... but this gear isn't a one man gig. I'll probably have my little brother come along with me to help unload it all which sucks. But I'm happy to help people out, and hey I'll probably get free drinks. :thu:

• Members

Make sure you have a driver.

Will a 3 wood work? :lol:

Nah, I'll have my bro pick me up as well if I've been drinking. But when I'm doing sound or playing music, my drinking usually consists of one beer in a night.

• Members

I agree with that. I definitely will bring the subs though, just to round out the low end. I was just at a wedding and the DJ only had 15inch JBL mains... could barely make out the beat of dance songs. Dance floor was empty. :(

• Members

When I was working as a DJ for a local service, they used to charge $1,200, to $2,000. for the night/afternoon and I'd make at least $600. (plus at least a $100. tip at the end of the night, one time a bride's father gave me $500. cuz they had such a good time) - their equipment, their music, my gas, my tux and my time. The system was two speaks on poles, rack with two cd players, and amp, light bridge and two bins of cd's. Whole rig fit in the backseat of my Camaro (this was back in the mid-90's) and could be carted in one trip. Not sure what pricing is today but a couple hundred is a bit light, especially if you require assistance for load-in/out. I also agree you need to set the parameters and have a firm understanding of what the bride/family expect. A good deed could turn into a huge disaster of the family/bride are dissatisfied/unhappy with what they get on her BIG day.

Stix

• Members

I would tend to agree. If you really don't do this then it's a good experience and a resume builder. See if they'll allow you to take pictures. This will help if you want to do a website and offer your services in the future. Also they can be a reference for you and provide a "testimonial" for your website.

If it's not a good friend though, then I'd at least make it worth your while. Maybe $20-$30 and hour. Likely will be a 10 hour day if it's local so $200- $300.

+1 Promo, promo, promo is where it's at if you want to do more weddings....

And you should charge something ($200 to $300 sounds about right) or else it's going to be hard to charge anything on the next one.

A break on rates in exchange for a testimonial, and/or reference letter is not a bad deal - expecially if this is your first wedding DJ gig.

And remember the bride and/or the bride's parents are always right, even when they're wrong:)

One more thing, aquaint yourself with the photographer, videographer (if separate), caterers/F&B manager.... if possible. Everyone's busy on that day so just do a quick exhange of business cards at the right moment. It might lead to something down the road.

EDIT - upon reflection (and reading posts again) if they want the moon, you'll have to charge a bit more, or YOU will feel cheated. So as suggested, find out what they want, and why they want you.

• Members

Make sure you find out all that is involved, as well as what's expected. There's a lot more to this stuff than simply bringing a sound system and loading some CD's. Are you expected to furnish dance-floor and/or perimeter/ambiance lighting of any kind? Are you expected to "MC"? Make announcements? Organize dances/games?

As for what to charge; I'd call a local/nearby rental place, and find out what they would charge for similar gear, and cover all your expenses. If you want to donate your time, make it clear that this portion is your wedding present, if that's applicable or appropriate. Are you going to be fed?

• Members

i'm providing PA for my wife's friends wedding reception AND ceremony in a month; for free.

my condition? i ain gonna bring anything i dont already have. you need 17 wireless? too bad. (she of course doesnt need that). you need super laser lite show and flash pots? nuh uh. bouncy castle? nope.

they might have a kareochokeme machine that i may have to wire up....ugh. long night.

i dont do freebies except once in a blue moon for longtime friends.

• Members

I don't use my Thinkpad's sound chip.

I run from a USB out into an Edirol UA25 and then to the mixer. I haven't actually even done an AB comparison on the quality. I just have a preconcieved dislike of "onboard" sound...... anyone else have any thoughts regarding this?

• Members

I occassionaly DJ weddings. I normally charge $400 here in the boonies but have been trying to boost my prices a little. Most wedding DJs around here charge $800-1000. BUT I do not bring subs and I do not have a bunch of fancy DJ light effects, just some PAR 38s with sound to chase controllers. I have done ONE for free cause the bride and groom were close friends of my daughter AND the bride (a nurse) stayed with my wife at the hospital and helped her out a lot when my mother in law was dying. And the NEXT friends of my daughter to get married wanted me to DJ but really didn't want to pay us. Sorry, no go. Not going to wedding, either.

IF you EVER want to make a couple bucks at DJing AND don't want to be unindated with freebie DJ requests, charge something reasonable for your area. Find out what the typical wedding DJs charge and go for about 2/3rds of that for your first one. Gear damage, drunks spilling drinks on gear, people bitching about "it's too loud, it's not loud enough, play this, play that" is NOT worth the hassle for free. They ALL ASSUME you are getting paid anyways. SOMEONE will have to MC, make announcements, keep the reception moving. That will be YOU. YOU will need to make an agenda, get the right titles and names for the announcement, ect. That is time and effort expended, a lot before and during the event. A nice to know thing is find out how much they are spending on the meal, the cake, and the venue. That day you are considered just an employee, even if you don't get paid. So get paid.

Boomerweps

• Members

.....SOMEONE will have to MC, make announcements, keep the reception moving. That will be YOU. YOU will need to make an agenda, get the right titles and names for the announcement, ect. That is time and effort expended, a lot before and during the event.

Boomerweps

AMEN - Our band does roughly 20 weddings a year and I estimate that I spend around 10 hours on average on each - selling us, negotiating terms and pricing, contract administration, putting together the prerecorded music, customizing setlist to their spec, working through agenda (we use an online planning sheet) and answering myriad questions along the way via email and phone, coordinating travel and itinerary with the band, etc.

• Members

by abzurd:

I would find this out as it could be important. If they know they are getting an inexperienced guy and are OK because they are trying to save money that's one thing. If they expect a polished wedding DJ, it doesn't matter if you do it for free or $1000, their expectations may not be met. So you really want to set the expectations of what you can do for them.

It is mission critical to find out from the bride not only what she wants, but what her parents expect. Traditional wedding receptions mean playing a number of traditional songs and you being a professional MC.

Example: You get setup well ahead of time and find out when the Bride and Groom are going to show up at the reception. Be at your equipment and watch for their arrival. As soon as they walk in the door you announce "Ladies and Gentlemen, may I have your attention please! For the first time in public, please welcome Mr. and Mrs (whatever their names are). This is very important. After everyone eats dinner and they are getting ready to dance, you invite the "father of the bride" to the center of the dance floor and once he is on the dance floor, ask the bride to join her father on the dance floor. Then you play "Daddy's little girl". The father of the bride not only gave away his daughter at the wedding ceremony, he's probably picking up the tab for everything too! its important that you recognize this and call attention to the father of the bride and have him have a "last dance" with his daughter.

There are a number of other songs that are played at weddings, and even if the bride tells you she doesn't want it, you can bet everyone else at the reception will.

Unless you are DJ'ing for a bunch of old hippie parents that are going to drink until they drop, go outside and fire up a joint, and want you to play the Grateful Dead all afternoon, the above scenario is what you can expect.

Mike T.

Archived