School me on pre and post fader auxs?

• Members

Pre for monitor, pre means the signal comes PRE-fader. When you change the fader position, the monitor signals don't change.

post for effects, post fader so when you change the fader the signal changes also... that way the ratio of dry to wet signal remains constant. For example, if you fade out a channel, the effects fade out at the same time.

• Members

post for effects....

i agree to a point but i like pre for my vocal effects many diff reasons for this

if you can try both ways and decide for yourself pro and cons for pre effects

but pre for mon is the safe way for foh mon mixing

Jim

• Members

post for effects....

i agree to a point but i like pre for my vocal effects many diff reasons for this

if you can try both ways and decide for yourself pro and cons for pre effects

but pre for mon is the safe way for foh mon mixing

Jim

Why on earth would you want pre-fade effects? seems like a waste of a pre-fade aux send for a another monitor.

Dunno about you, but I like to send my post fade aux send for FX and use the returns on a stereo channel.

that way you have a wet/dry option and EQ option on the stereo return channel.

• Members

one reason is personal choice

i ride the fader for taste and effect, delay effect

i run full wet and blend with the fader

i run verb post only cause i need one mon mix

as i said many or a few reasons depending on

what your deffinition of many vers few may be

really andy not even one reason to do it this way???

• Members

i have the eq option by way of the ch return or the unit itself

and if i choose to change the wet dry the unit offers that also

as i said personal choice.

• Members

The main problem with that approach is that balance adjustments between mics using the same FX unit have to be made in two places simultaneously - far too much work.

Using post-fader still gives you the wet/dry mix control and the EQ on the return channel, so there's no real benefit there.

Still having trouble seeing any sort of benefit for using a pre-fader FX send....

• Members

one reason is personal choice

i ride the fader for taste and effect, delay effect

i run full wet and blend with the fader

i run verb post only cause i need one mon mix

as i said many or a few reasons depending on

what your deffinition of many vers few may be

really andy not even one reason to do it this way???

Full wet? When wouyld you ever want to send full wet to the mains? Ever???

You can still blend, mix, ride faders etc post, and if you ride the dry channel fader the effects will track, if you ride the return fader you have control over the effects return, if you ride the post send, you have control over the effects level.

Unless you are doing something very goofy, you are going against pretty much everybody I have ever worked with and I can't see any benefit but plenty of drawbacks.

• Members

Gotcha you only have 1 monitor mix so you can afford to eat up a pre-fade aux. send. I don't have that luxury, because I'm using 3 monitor mixes.

Hey if it works for ya that's all that matters. It just struck me odd using a pre-fade for FX. Carry on :wave:

• Members

goofy Andy really not goofy at all

different.

never had a complaint nor problem doing it my way

i ran a different gear at a race track and won every time

when we left the club i passed on my goofy ways as to how we did it

DIFFERENT

• Members

What do you do when you bring a vocal down in the mix? Do you also have to change the effects send to keep the balance the same?

Different and more difficult are 2 diffenet things, that's why the industry have settled on specific ways to do things.

Of course you are always welcome to reinvent the wheel, but if you have other engineers come in to mix on your system, you will get the same comments from them too and for the same reasons.

• Members

Put me in for post effects as well. The only reason I can think of (and I've never come across this as an actual scenario) is if you were using the FX unit as a harmonizer (sometimes) and wanted to be able to change the ratio of the two notes on the fly. Thinking about this though, I'd probably still run the FX post and ride the return channel to taste hmmmm.... Nope, can't think of any reason to run FX pre unless you're already using all of your assigned post busses.

• Members

I've definitely done it for a few very specific purposes in a studio environment, but usually it was automated, and I got a few listen-throughs to get the effect I wanted right, so that's a bit different.

I could see using it in a DAW situation with automation. You could keep the gain staging better (for a lower noise floor (or keep the processing bit depth at it's optimum)). Even then it would have to be a special situation (where it would matter at all) but yes I can see that as a possibility.

Archived