BEST sounding recording EVER! What is it?

• Members

Myself, Oasis Champagne Supernover is the best recording I have ever heard. The saturation is insane!

EDIT- I know for a fact this is a Neve VR board. I don`t know if the preamps sound that awesome or if they are using external.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

HIGHLY subjective. And genre-dependent to boot. There are some orchestral recordings that will give you goosebumps, like you're standing at the conductor's podium. 

Some candidates:

Aja - Steely Dan

Avalon - Roxy Music

The Blues and The Abstract Truth - Oliver Nelson

Kind of Blue - Miles Davis

Back In Black - AC/DC

DSOT - Pink Floyd

So - Peter Gabriel 

Songs From The Big Chair - Tears For Fears

Making Movies - Dire Straights 

Off The Wall - Michael Jackson

In Absentia - Porcupine Tree

• Members
2 minutes ago, Red Ant said:

HIGHLY subjective. And genre-dependent to boot. There are some orchestral recordings that will give you goosebumps, like you're standing at the conductor's podium. 

Some candidates:

Aja - Steely Dan

Avalon - Roxy Music

The Blues and The Abstract Truth - Oliver Nelson

Kind of Blue - Miles Davis

Back In Black - AC/DC

DSOT - Pink Floyd

So - Peter Gabriel 

Songs From The Big Chair - Tears For Fears

Making Movies - Dire Straights 

Off The Wall - Michael Jackson

In Absentia - Porcupine Tree

That`s an EYE opening list! Wow, where to start?

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, redEL34 said:

That`s an EYE opening list! Wow, where to start?

That would depend on what you're after. Want to feel like you're IN the band, in the room, feeling the air moving? Start here: 

Want shiny, shimmery textured slickness?

Want huge rock with depth, dynamic and timbral range?

• Moderators
1 minute ago, ohmygod said:

My fav live recording is Joni Mitchell's Miles of Isles. In the Studio Pat Methey's Off Ramp Miles Davis Blue Kind of :)

I never liked the sound of ECM records... even when I liked the music. It's like painting with only pastels... everything is spacy and kinda washed out, I feel like there is no impact. Metheny, Abercrombie especially... how in the heck do you manage to make Jack DeJonette sound soft???

• Moderators
Just now, redEL34 said:

Meh, it`s OK. Sounds like "Dirty Work".

I dont think they're even in the same realm, as far as mixing craft. Dirty work is a nice tune, but this is a post-grad level lesson in mixing technique. So is all of Aja. Roger "The Immortal" Nichols was a giant among mixing engineers. I am not worthy. 

• Members
Just now, Red Ant said:

I dont think they're even in the same realm, as far as mixing craft. Dirty work is a nice tune, but this is a post-grad level lesson in mixing technique. So is all of Aja. Roger "The Immortal" Nichols was a giant among mixing engineers. I am not worthy. 

I`m nowhere near astute in Steely Dan. I like maybe 5 songs, 2 or 3 being standards (Do it Again etc.).

• Members
4 minutes ago, Red Ant said:

I never liked the sound of ECM records... even when I liked the music. It's like painting with only pastels... everything is spacy and kinda washed out, I feel like there is no impact. Metheny, Abercrombie especially... how in the heck do you manage to make Jack DeJonette sound soft???

That space is where I get the impact, it's energizing and relaxing :)

• Moderators
Just now, redEL34 said:

I`m nowhere near astute in Steely Dan. I like maybe 5 songs, 2 or 3 being standards (Do it Again etc.).

What does song have to do with it? You asked about the best SOUNDING records, no?

I dont care for the Tears for Fears album AT ALL, but it's on my list because of the question you asked. And So is far from my favorite Gabriel as well, but it's his best SOUNDING records, and a milestone in the recording art. 

• Members
Just now, Red Ant said:

What does song have to do with it? You asked about the best SOUNDING records, no?

I dont care for the Tears for Fears album AT ALL, but it's on my list because of the question you asked. And So is far from my favorite Gabriel as well, but it's his best SOUNDING records, and a milestone in the recording art. 

Fair enough, I rolled off topic.

• Members
10 minutes ago, Red Ant said:

I get it. I just dont like it :lol:

Instead of relaxing, I get annoyed. 

lol yeah i also liked Steve miller's children of the future don't know if that holds up haven't listened to it in decades

• Members
1 minute ago, ohmygod said:

lol yeah i also liked Steve miller's children of the future don't know if that holds up haven't listened to it in decades

Steve Miller apparently never goes out of style. He`s got enough hits that classic rock stations/XM never runs out of them.

• Members
3 minutes ago, redEL34 said:

Steve Miller apparently never goes out of style. He`s got enough hits that classic rock stations/XM never runs out of them.

yes and now listening to children of the future the recording quality is so so

• Members
Just now, ohmygod said:

yes and now listening to children of the future the recording quality is so so

It`s actually way better. IMO, I loved recording to tape MUCH better, but those 2 inch reels started costing a ton. And the editing got real hard. I realized later I messed up singing 1 line. I wanted it fixed. $$ edit inPro Tools, export to ADAT. That was a big deal in the 90`s AFAIK.

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, redEL34 said:

It`s actually way better. IMO, I loved recording to tape MUCH better, but those 2 inch reels started costing a ton. And the editing got real hard. I realized later I messed up singing 1 line. I wanted it fixed. $$ edit inPro Tools, export to ADAT. That was a big deal in the 90`s AFAIK.

I was just looking at out 2'' machine the other day thinking "you know, I don't miss you AT ALL" :lol:

• Members
20 minutes ago, Red Ant said:

I was just looking at out 2'' machine the other day thinking "you know, I don't miss you AT ALL" :lol:

I love them when someone else is operating them. God forbid you make a mistake you later regret after really listening...They have to..get the giant tape out..find where you f’d up..transfer the whole thing to digital(per track). Find your F’up again..find something else to paste over your f’up..hope you’ll be happy.

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, redEL34 said:

I love them when someone else is operating them. God forbid you make a mistake you later regret after really listening...They have to..get the giant tape out..find where you f’d up..transfer the whole thing to digital(per track). Find your F’up again..find something else to paste over your f’up..hope you’ll be happy.

Haha digital xfer? What luxury!

My studio nickname used to be Dr. Blade, cause I would edit 2'' tape like a madman, I'd splice together a master take from 4-5 different takes, all with just a razor blade and an edit block :D

• Members
2 hours ago, Red Ant said:

Funny you mention that.  My son who is 15 and a pretty good drummer (not a prodigy but a great feel and sense)

Has become completely in the bag for analogue recording.  I ended up building him a drum room in my studio

(by studio I mean I converted the two bedroom full kitchen and bath cottage behind mu house that I decided not to rent out anymore).

He got and fell in love with using this ancient Scully 14" reel 1/4" two track built into this ridiculously HUGE formica Poo brown

console.  He runs that into a 1970s era Yamaha live venue mixing console that is the farthest thing from what I would consider

a studio usable desk. I always argue to him that having just two program outs and no direct outs isn't the best option for recording drums.

That it would be best to use our regular console and have each of his 12 drum mics on their own track in either Reaper or  pro tools.

Well he took that as a challenge and damned if the boy didn't hash out a great (albeit a virtually un post fixable) stereo sound for his kit that translated extremely well to my 

media room stereo.  Still unusable IMHO as all you can do is either "drums up or down" or perhaps do some creative cloning and EQing .

Me,  I'd at least like to be able to put some reverb on the snare :-)

Archived