Wireless systems 'worn out'?

• Members

My singer has a Shure T2 SM58 system and I have an AKG Guitar bug. These are not top end by any means but we used them a couple years for small acoustic gigs and they did fine. Over the last couple months, reception is crappy w/static on the mic and the guitar bug is sounding thinner and thinner where I cant get a good sound any more. This didn't happen at the same time and its the same result when we have one hooked up and not the other so it's not an interference problem. Can anything be cleaned or replaced (ie-a magic bullet) or have these just lived out their life? I learned to always ask questions on any electronics before I toss them as I'm amazed how many stupid and easily fixable things go wrong. TV's, amps, etc.

Thanks...Nick

• Members

It really could be an interference problem - the FCC moved a number of TV stations around with the DTV transition, and wireless mics have to work in the TV space.

But yeah, the wireless hardware does gradually drift in frequency, packs get beat up, etc. You could contact the manufacturers and ask about service.

• Members
My singer has a Shure T2 SM58 system and I have an AKG Guitar bug. These are not top end by any means but we used them a couple years for small acoustic gigs and they did fine. Over the last couple months, reception is crappy w/static on the mic and the guitar bug is sounding thinner and thinner where I cant get a good sound any more. This didn't happen at the same time and its the same result when we have one hooked up and not the other so it's not an interference problem. Can anything be cleaned or replaced (ie-a magic bullet) or have these just lived out their life? I learned to always ask questions on any electronics before I toss them as I'm amazed how many stupid and easily fixable things go wrong. TV's, amps, etc.

Thanks...Nick

my bass player's Guitar Bug is horrible for intermittent noise. My older Samson Airline is still like the day I got it, about 5 years ago.

• Members

The bug was pretty good there for a while then downhill fast.

The trade-off on wireless vs cord is worth what little you might lose in tone if you do your own sound. There's no good way to tell what you sound like 30 feet out in the room unless you get out there and hear it for yourself. I miss it dearly.

• Members

Shouldn't drift. Spammers drift, PLL or FS wireless do not.

Components can fail over time, though. If there are any mechanical parts like pots, they can change values over time through corrosion, heating & cooling, being bumped sharply, etc.

• Members

Components can fail over time, though. If there are any mechanical parts like pots, they can change values over time through corrosion, heating & cooling, being bumped sharply, etc.

This is true.

My comments were based on the statement that all wireless systems drift which is not a universal truth. There are enough older but higher quality wireless systems out there (yours included) that have not drifted significantly.

Archived