• Members

That method works, but would not be my first choice. My first choice would be to insert it into the LR main channels of the board. Thats a personal choice you have to make. and there are arguments as to either way.

Thanks Axisplayer! Just to be sure I understand you correctly...I should use a TRS Dual 1/4"" Insert Cable to the mixers main insert for each side?

• Members

I find that XLR out to the eq and then to the (powered speaker) works just as well. I also have not found noise (hiss) to be a problem on the last couple dozen I have installed. Perhaps in hinky systems where people are just slapping gear together in hopes it works ok, but not is any real application.

• Members

Is the DBX 231 Dual 31-Band Graphic EQ a good choice for FOH/mains? I have never used this EQ,but I have read some reviews that say it adds hiss to the system. Also,is the best way to hook it up by going XLR from my mains to the EQ,then XLR from EQ to the powered speakers?

Thanks!

I use 231 on my active (powered) speakers and yes that's the proper cables and method of hooking it up.

Sounds like the reviews was written by folks that had to much gain which cause the all the hissing.

Just keep the eq at unity and make sure all your gain setting on the mixer at it's proper setting and your good to go.

• Members

my 231 does add a little hiss if you boost frequencies. But thats really not the way you should be using it anyway. They will generally be used to cut only and in that case it's totally silent. Even when i do need to boost just a little bit every now and then it's not enough to worry about at all.

I connect straight out of my Mixwiz into the EQ and then on to the amp rack

• Members

my 231 does add a little hiss if you boost frequencies. But thats really not the way you should be using it anyway. They will generally be used to cut only and in that case it's totally silent. Even when i do need to boost just a little bit every now and then it's not enough to worry about at all.

I connect straight out of my Mixwiz into the EQ and then on to the amp rack

Whenever you boost anything, residual noise in the signal will be boosted along with it. This is normal and occurs regardless of make or model of eq.

• Members

Either way is fine. Generally for more complicated dedicated monitor console apps you'll want to insert the EQs. For everything else in-line is just fine. I prefer in-line since it requires no special cables at all and the ouput of the EQ can drive a snake or whatever. The meters really don't mean anything on an EQ to me anyway, as long as it's not clipping I don't care. Console and amps I care about.

Archived